Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: to pro (746pro) or not to pro (746 non-pro)  (Read 271 times)
FOXBAT426

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:46:10 PM »

i've been aquiring classic receivers lately and would like to add a few more to my collection. has anyone compared the receivers in the pro version vs. the non pro version - Readability of weak signals, audio quality etc etc.

i searched in the archives and was suprised to find the topic hasn't been discussed - suprisingly in the review of eham the nod goes to the non pro 746. would be interested haering from elmers who have operated both.

thanks again
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:33:15 PM »

Get the pro model. It's vastly superior to the non-pro model in many respects, such as no need to buy filters. Because it has IF DSP, the 746Pro comes with a vast number of filtering width and shape options.

On all prior IF designs, you added crystal filters to narrow your rx bandwidth. Expensive DX radios gave you maybe 5 choices. On the 746Pro model, you can dial the width and have a choice between sharp and soft slopes and 50hz width selections and offsets.

So, if you feel the need to have a soft 1.8 ssb filter shifted 250hz to the carrier side, you can just dial it in. This is capability that no radio prior to IF DSP can provide without adding literally thousands of dollars worth of filters.

For digital work, there is simply no comparison.

An example. You are working a busy PSK31 segment of 20 meters. You spot a rare signal and want to home in on it. There is a strong station 200hz away that is pumping your AGC.

With the 746pro, you put the weak station in the middle of your band pass and dial your filters down to 50 hz. Instantly, all the other signals disappear and the only thing coming through your radio is the weak station. Not only that, but the AGC pumping is gone because AGC voltages are derived AFTER the IF DSP. So, even your AGC only sees the weak signal.

The IC-746Pro, the IC-756ProIII and the new 7600 as well as the original 7800 can all do this. Yaesu anwered this competition with the FT-450 and FT-950, which both have IF DSP.

IF DSP is one of the best developments in RX in the last 50 years.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:21:52 PM »

The Icom 746 series is a good radio to avoid.

While having a good receiver, They have a host of other problems.
Check some of the very recent reviews right here on Eham on the IC 746PRO.

Instead, Get yourself a 756PRO. A great radio in the same price range good used.
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:20:37 AM »

i own both radios. 746 and 746 pro. i feel both are great rigs,but the edge goes to the pro. the adjustable filtering is great,and the tx/rx adjustments are a bonus. ive had no problems with my rigs,and have had the 746 since 2000.yes there are some with diode 151 failures,which makes the tx die. but considering the high # of 746 sales,versus the failure rate,it is a great radio. eham reviews either love em or hate em. very biased at times. all in all,they are true performers.
 ve7ren
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:16:06 PM »

I've had my 746 pro for 4 or 5 years and never a problem... good rig
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:36:47 AM »

After reading the reviews on the IC-746 PRO, I decided to keep my IC-746 NON PRO indefinitely.  It had been operarion now for 9 years without one service call or horror story of lockups or lights not working.  Best of all, it is still calibrated to spec.

While the filttering may be better on the PRO, for me the reliability specification is the most important.

Good luck and 73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: