Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BUCKMASTER 80-6 WITHOUT A TUNER  (Read 1271 times)
AD1DX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 05:00:30 AM »

I have used the Buckmaster for about 2 years now.As has been stated elsewhere it is a compromise antenna .It works well enough for me on my very small lot.My Pro 111's internal tuner is able to achieve an acceptable swr on all the bands that it is designed to work on.
CROWBAR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 05:08:02 AM »

So, Alan you have owned, used and reviewd this antenna and all antennas like it? You seem to have  such a poor opinion of it and it's siblings.
Alan, It seems that your opinion of anything which you did not make, design or install has to be a farce or just pure junk.

WE1X's comment is the most intelligent reply of the entire thread.  

Prof Applegate said: "When it comes to antennas, using the reviews section hereabouts, is assuming there is a goose that laid a golden egg. The truth is, there isn't one! It's all hype.

It is an unfortunate fact of amateur radio these days, that so many fall into the myriad of hyped, and wild claims about J-Poles, 43 foot verticals, OCF antennas of every ilk, end fed wires (incorrectly called end-fed dipoles), and other wonder antennas.

As alluded to above, the specific installation has a lot to do with whether you end up with enough common mode currents to melt your shack, as well as the level of success. If you want to assure success, then put up a tried and true dipole(s), and forget the alsorans.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com "
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »

I discount any antenna that requires a specific height and set up as an inverted "V". That tells me that ground losses are a significant portion of the impedance transformation.

73 de Lindy
W4HV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 06:23:30 AM »

Buck builds a decent product. No its not a solve all perfect solution, but neither is any antenna. I have used his product and it works pretty well. It kinda depends on what you are expecting. We get some crazy idea that there is a wide band works all bands antenna that can change radiation angles so we can work any station, on any band any time...It doesn't exist..Thats why most hams have more than one antenna...I compared one of my cages with Buck's antenna...Cage won of course, but you have to use a tuner. Bucks antenna is respectable for its price class...And if you don't use high power it looks like it would last...If you do use greater than a KW be prepared to spend the money for a high power version..Unless you enjoy toasted balun...If have found that toasted balun is not good with apple butter...But Then some say I don't know good **** from apple butter.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: