Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swan 500C Microphone  (Read 2395 times)
W9DEW

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2005, 07:32:06 PM »

I purchased a Swan 500C at a hamfest today and it appears to me in working order, but it does not have a microphone with it.  The manual says that it requires a "high impedance" microphone.  I have an old Astatic D-104 lying around that I bought years ago (I don't remember why now.   Probably because I thought it looked "ham-like".).  

In any event, I believe it is a "high impedance" microphone, but I would like to confirm that.  

Thanks & 73,
Don, W9DEW
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 06:50:44 AM »

Most likley is , If the D104 head is on a TUG stand, remove the base plate , a wiring diagram and some specs should be on the plate. While you are in their check to see if it is amplified and the state of the battery if present.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 04:25:15 PM »

The D-104 is absolutely high impedance, and probably the highest impedance microphone ever sold into the communications market.  It worked perfectly with a SW-500C.

However, many D-104s sold in the "later years" (mostly in the 80s and 90s) had preamplifiers built into their stand bases, and no switch to bypass the preamp -- it was always in line.  The preamp's output is low impedance, and also since the preamp is very unnecessary with the Swan, it could really screw things up.  If you have a preamplified stand, it would be best to replace that with a "passive" stand (that only supports the D-104 "head" and does nothing else) or rewire the preamp to bypass it entirely.

WB2WIK/6
WA6BFH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:37:17 AM »

Oh my goodness.

How can it be possible to use any microphone, other than a Swan microphone, with a Swan radio?

Also, how terrible that anyone would sell a radio without everything that it might need. These should include spare fuses, any connectors needed etc

This is shocking!
WA3IRJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 06:20:59 PM »

The D-104 will work very well( no pre-amp). Or just find a Shure 444...
..I have one on my 500cx. It gets very good reports on audio as well.
good luck
JohnB
KB3lxy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: