Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio – Four Years Later  (Read 3975 times)
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 11:48:28 AM »

And your question is...Huh
Another post that should be in the "Speak Out" forum.

-Mike.
K2NCC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 12:08:18 PM »

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Harry wrote:

>>>The spirit of what you're telling us rings true. However, how you're communicating it ... well ... is a wee bit condescending and counter productive.

I'll buy that.  I've never been one for sugar-coating to make my pills easier to swallow.

>>> Yes, undoubtedly more of us should be doing more for the community, especially during times like these.

I don't doubt the value that many individuals and groups bring to the hobby and the community.  The point has always been about some of the uselessness that stands right along with those values.

As my original question eluded, "What's the point?"  I also asked for what you've done to better the hobby, thus your next question deserves a response.

>>> Now with that said and your original post, Frank allow me to ask you a simple question: What have you done to make a difference?

To avoid the very toot-your-own-horn approach I've condemned, I'll send it to you vs the forum.

Just got back.  Nope, can't do that either.  Another person with no email on QRZ.com and I'm not inclined at the moment to hope I'm lucky w/a GOOGLE search.

So, I'm in a quandary.  Should I play my own brag-tape or not answer the question?

(a few minutes later)

-I gather several hams every month to play radio.  Actually operate, not sit in some greasy-spoon and talk about it.

-I meet 100s of people every month and constantly promote the hobby through my business.  In my short time I've helped and inspired dozens of candidates to get a ticket.

-I feed almost a hundred people a day an audio stream over the Internet, providing 24/7 copy of our local repeaters.

-I provide beta testing and support for several amateur radio programs.

-I've spent hours putting together videos for YOUTUBE so other hams can learn to identify various digital modes.

-I'm a CERT volunteer, ready and willing to serve in an emergency when called upon.  I've also done my fair share of passing emergency traffic and volunteering amateur radio services on-site at several events.

-Although I'm a "new" ham, I have more hours operating a radio in the past four years than most hams I've met will do in a lifetime.  Doubtful if it helps directly, but I share what I learn and have expanded the options for many.

-I go to people's homes for free and help them setup their rigs, antennas, ground systems, etc.

Geeze, I could go on, but my head's getting bigger with every syllable!

But this isn't a contest of who's done more.  Just as long as you're doing SOMETHING THAT MATTERS!

f

Vy 73, de Frank K2NCC
KK7GB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »

Typicl response from a kool-aid drinker! The fact that Clinton, Gore, Kerry and the rest of the Dims stated that the facts leading up to our invasion were true escaped you.
K2NCC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

I think you may have posted to the wrong forum Glenn.

Politics is down the hall, 2nd door on the far right.

f

Vy 73, de Frank K2NCC
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 12:20:18 PM »

The problem with this hobby is that it has too many angry young/old men!!!

Rick N6NKN
K2NCC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »

I'm not angry Rick, just frustrated.  More so now than when I first started the thread!  My intent wasn't to pizz anyone off, but to stimulate a conversation about a subject many have shown a passion.

But, like talking to a Republican about how wonderful the Prez is or Preaching gospel to an Atheist, (whether I believe either is moot for this point), it ends up being more about people bashing you, versus your opinion.

f

Vy 73, de Frank K2NCC
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 12:32:17 PM »

Frank,

I stand by my statement.

BTW did I say I was describing you???

Rick N6NKN
W4JPP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »

Wow..i've been away from the site for a while...what happened to my old favorite elmers section...

It's a hobby for me...I never really thought my hobby would be compared to what others do for a living...

in my short ham life, I have volunteered for a number of natural disasters for communications assistance - that felt rewarding...

got to volunteer at a high security port after 9/11 to coodinate comm's between police/fire/coast guard/gov't employees - because their radios did not talk to one another.

unexpectedly became a net control during wilma...because for some reason all the EOC's had either failed generators or no battery powered tv's to track the storm and provide updates...

during my cancer chemo treatments I rekindled my ham hobby and built some jpoles to kill time in between hugging the toilet...(by the way, the elmers on this site led me thru building my first jpoles - thanks guys)...

next time i'm out fishing, hunting or playing golf, I hope I forget this thread...I may feel guilty that I'm not saving anyone.
W8KQE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »

Does taking care (full-time, 24/7) of an AUTISTIC brother AND daughter count for something (said sarcastically)?!?!  Talk about 'lightning striking twice' in my case.  Who the hell has time for volunteer or community work given the HUGE demands and stress level this kind of duty requires?!?!  Ham Radio is just a fun 'outlet' for me, when I can find some time.
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »

Hmmm, let me see if I have this correct:

HOBBY  =  

–noun
1.    an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation
2.    a child's hobbyhorse.
3.    Archaic. a small horse.
4.    to concern oneself excessively with a favorite notion or activity

I believe number one (1) applies to Amateur Radio.

I think Frank is focused on number four (4)

Could this mean that Frank 'is' Frank's hobby?  (wah--hahahaha)

POMPOUS  =

–adjective
1.    characterized by an ostentatious display of dignity or importance
2.    ostentatiously lofty or high-flown
3.    characterized by pomp, stately splendor, or magnificence

I believe all three (1-3) Apply to Frank in the majority of this "post" and definitely to ALL of his 'You-Tube' Videos. (P-U... Have a mint, Frank)

Really Frank, you consider your self entirely too much.  Personally, I find you HILARIOUS!  You should do stand up comedy for dysfunctional hams.  They just MIGHT understand and laugh at what you attempt to convey.  

73 to you, Mr. Lucidity, (yes, that was a pun)

James
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »

Drama Queen.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »

"I'm not angry Rick, just frustrated. More so now than when I first started the thread! My intent wasn't to pizz anyone off, but to stimulate a conversation about a subject many have shown a passion."

OK, Frank, I'll bite:

What's the subject you want a conversation about?

I mean, it looks like you do a lot of good stuff for Amateur Radio. No problem there!

But it's not clear to me exactly what changes you'd like to see. Or how they specifically apply to other hams.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K2NCC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

I think I'm going to wander off and take my opinions with me since few posts go by without someone insulting me personally.  That's the first place people go when they can't think of anything sensible to offer.

I would much rather have had a conversation, maybe even a debate, but some of you would rather just argue off-point.

Later.

f

Vy 73, de Frank K2NCC
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »

Frank,

I agree with so much of your post it scares me.

I got licensed 15 months ago after having worked in radio stuff--most of which was above 100 MHz--for a long time.

HF was new to me and I felt like a kid in a new candy store. I didn't have to learn code, but I was doing it anyway--because I wanted to.

Yet, my first, honest, innocent question I was so naive to post on an internet forum was met with so much acrid, arrogant, obtuse, self-aggrandizing, "know-it-all-and-listen-zero" flaming that I was shocked beyond belief. I could not believe it. Maybe it was a full Moon, I don't recall. But the nut cases were out, in force.

And one of those a###oles was a well-known (self-important) "elmer" (narcissist) whose call sign everyone on eham would recognize. And he was "full of it" on the technical points to boot.

I was disgusted.

I realized then that this hobby was not populated heavily with fostering, helpful gentlemen.

But I did find a good group in my local club. It's a fantastic group, really.

At some point I realized that some of the internet denizens tend to be pseudo-hams, and categorically different than the ones I heard on the radio.

In 15 months I have NEVER heard anything remotely impolite on the bands (but I have not been on 75 meters much, I will admit.)

Amateur radio offers an almost infinitely diverse choice of technology to use for hobby, but it also offers a diverse choice of activities.

Well, I wish you luck and happiness in your pursuits and I hope the hobby meets in some way the expectations you have a right to pursue.

I've spent too much time on this post, but I did want to respond.

Supper is ready, and after the chicken strips the XYL makes so very well (best I ever had) I gotta go see how noisy 80 meters is and try to improve my code skills.

CUL
W4HV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »

Hey guys, try intoducing a product to the do nothing crowd and watch them model and defame the product any your character because they never tried it..But they can sit on their keister and model it without your data.. The first post is so reflective of so many on every level its shocking to think about!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: