Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triad Utrad Amatuer Amplifier  (Read 1305 times)
KC4SMB

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2002, 01:47:31 AM »

First of all My Call Sign has changed to AG4RO as of 05-01-02.
Next can any one please give me information about a Triad Utrad Amp (3-30 MHz model LA 101). I have just been given this amp and I no nothing of it. Could you please tell me how much power it would take to drive this amp and what output should I expect?
Can Part be obtained?
Thank you in advance
David Rix
AG4RO
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 11:22:48 AM »

Never heard of it.

The only Triad amplifiers I'm aware of are hi-fi and guitar amps.  Do you have more information, maybe from a label or something?

WB2WIK/6
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 04:59:05 PM »

WOW! Does that one bring back memories. Triad (originally Triangle Radio, I think) was one of the major transformer maker back in the 1930's through the 1960's. Utrad, Utah Radio, was one of their tradenames (a la Ford, Mercury, Edsel, etc.). Utah/Utrad made quite a few general purpose and amateur radio transmitters and transmitter kits back in the 30's and 40's. I built several, and looked at a few more, back when the president's initials were HST.

The last one I built cost a magnificent $15.00, three days pay for a working stiff, used a 6V6 ECO and a 5Z3 rectifier, featured two tuning knobs and a single meter at top center, and had plug in coils for the various bands. CW only of course.

One of the rich kids had one in a three foot rack that put out around 100 watts out of a, hmmm, TY or TZ 40 as I remember. Cost around a hundred bux, the price of a pretty decent used car at the time. He was strictly CW - his dad wasn't about to pop for a modulator to match it and Joel wasn't about to soil his mitts building something.

Generally, I'd say your Triad is a genuine antique that should be preserved for posterity. But it's probably much too fragile for every day use.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 05:54:04 PM »

Based on Pete's reply, since he was around when Triad was actually selling ham gear and I'm pretty sure I wasn't, I did a search of the "Boat Anchor" website, BAMA (http://www.bama.sbc.edu), which lists more old ham gear than any other single place, and I couldn't find this one.  They did list a Utah CW transmitter from 1937 (!), but that was the closest thing I could find.  

You might contact Electric Radio (magazine) to see if anyone knows about your amplifier.  From what Pete says, it's a relic, probably from the 1950's or earlier, and of value as an antique more than a working piece of equipment.  

WB2WIK/6
KC5JD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:01:12 PM »

David,

Did you ever find any additional information on the Triad-Utrad amp. I have one NOS along with the remote control head.

KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »

I have one too.  I dug it out of storage, and into a dummy load on 10 meters it showed 100 watts out with 4 watts of drive.  By the looks of it I'd say it was from the very late 60's or early 70's.  Has a plug on the back as well as the SO-230's, for some kind of interface maybe.  It was given to me about 10 years ago and been in storage since.  No manual and not much info on the Internet, Says good 3 through 30 Mhz and has a SSB position.  I would appreciate any info as well if anyone has any.  cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: