Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6LB6 substitute for 6KD6 sweep tubes?..  (Read 5888 times)
ZS5WC

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:04:30 AM »

Hi Old Yaesu fans and tube experts!..

I have been wondering if the 6LB6 sweep tubes will work in place of the 6KD6 sweep tubes?..
As far as I can see the tube pinout is the same , and the tube specs. are very similar-even the dynamic plate transconductance is very similar.
I have a couple of FT-501's and thought this might be a useful alternative?..

I don't want to install 6146's , because I don't blow up sweep tubes-all of mine are still running on original 6KD6 tubes. Just would ruin the characteristic of the old rig.

Has anyone tried these 6LB6 tubes?.

William
ZS5WC / ZS4L
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:27 AM »

Hi William,

Yes 6LB6s will work as a substitute.

You have two 501's?  Wow, I have one and its the only one I have ever seen in the US.  I bought it from a friend years ago and then discovered they were never sold in the US.  Mine must have come from off-shore or thru Canada.  Nice powerful little radio and quite unique for the early period of solid state transceivers.

Cheers,

Greg
KG6YV
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »

There is a lot of info on this tube swap on GOOGLE.

Dick  AD4U
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:38:35 PM »

Hi Greg and Dick!.

Thanks for the feedback!..
You certainly have a rare one there Greg!.No, they were never marketed in the US for some strange reason... however , I think they were sold in Canada , Europe , Asia , and South Africa.
Nice old sets! You always get the gripes from the "tupperware" radio ops..drift , and slow qsy , sweep tubes... etc. etc. -but I enjoy the old rigs-they work well and pack a punch!..

I am not at home at the moment-but If you like I could send you the little restoration article I wrote about the FT-501 , after the 2nd of July.
Just drop me a reminder : wvancoller(AT)gwisa.com ,and will gladly forward it to you.

The signal to noise on these '501's are amazing-very quiet recievers!.
I have also just been given a FTdx-401 from the early '70's-so will restore that one too..
(power transformer has smoked..)
This rig also uses the 6KD6 tubes-which is why I am enquiring about an alternative..
Have you tried the 6LB6 tubes?..

73 de William
ZS5WC / ZS4L
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: