Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Goo  (Read 1094 times)
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »

You should certainly be "all choked up" by now! Smiley
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »

ha ha. Good one Cal. Smiley

It should be mentioned that Google doesn't always provide the "right" answers. That is why I never sugest people to find thier answers on Google instead of using this forum instead.

That's not to say everything posted on here is always right either, but the main advantage about posting and getting your answers here is in the distinct fact that we have an unspoken peer review process around here.

I should mention that I have absolutely no problem with someone correcting me when I am wrong about a particular detail or pertinent fact when I am providing answers to a particular question.

I feel that's the way it should be. I openly encourage anyone to keep those questions coming. The worst it can do is encourage all of us to learn something from this process, sometimes even those who are providing some of the answers.

My Best,

Charles - KC8VWM
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »

A lot of times when I answer questions in the Elmers, QRP, Hombrew or the Mods And Repairs forums, I Google what the person is asking about and provide the URL in my answer. Couldn't the one asking the question do the same thing?

I have found loads of useful information by using search engines. Sometimes it is worth the time to check out links on endless search pages. You would be surprised what you could come up with. A lot of what I wind up finding is a bonus. I wind up bookmarking sites for further info that had little or nothing to do with what I was originally searching for, but information that I needed nonetheless. Links lead to other links, which lead to other links. Sometimes, I find out info that I've been looking for in the past but couldn't find back then.

On numerous occasions, I would be trying to cross-reference semiconductor parts (transistors, chips, diodes and such and it isn't in the NTE Cross-Reference software, and I just can't seem to find what I am looking for anywhere. What I have found to be very useful is to just Google the part number (e.g. AN612), and just go through page after page clicking on site links until I either find nothing or hit paydirt. Finally I find a link to not only the datasheet, but to sites where the part has been used by other hams in homebrew projects for a similar purpose that I want to use it for, with much useful information. It just so happens that the AN612 (BTW it is in the NTE guide) can be substituted for a SA602A. It just has one less pin than the SA602A. The AN612 can be used as a balanced modulator or a double balanced mixer. One part that I went through a time-consuming search was the C3001, which is identical to the TA7310P. I have quite a few of these chips from junk CB radios, as I do the AN612s. The C3001 or TA7310P is used in the VCO circuitry of a CB using the PLL02A. It can also be used as a mixer. All the parts that I mentioned are very useful for making homebrew transmitters, transceivers and receivers, whether direct conversion or superhet.

Whenever I need radio-related info, I look myself first. If I come up with nothing, I sometimes ask a question in one of the eHam forums. Often, if I see something useful in an eHam forum, or get a good answer to one of my questions, there is often more useful information regarding the topic to search the Internet for. I then come up with more information than I bargained for.

Use the search engines. There is a wealth of information on the Net.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »

Folks;  If the truth were to be known, Google Goo is how you tickle a researcher's fancy!
"GOOGLE! GOOGLE! GOO!"

The devil made me say that! :-0

GW0DIV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »

Show someone a URL and they'll learn for 5 minutes - Teach them to Google and they'll learn for life!!
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 07:42:20 AM »

KZ1X has the right idea for internet searches.

back in the day.   " IBM retain"     used a search argument of   " implied  'and' function.
so the multiples words were anded..  worked just great or better.....

it seems all internet search  arguments use and  implied ,

"or function"   so the more words you add the more
it multiplies the number of responses.
HFRF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »

This is all crap.  The premise of this thread seems to be that somebody, somewhere (internet or else where) has the responsibility to provide entitled people with a spoon fed answer to everything.  Personal reading, learning, and EFFORT are no longer required by those who want answers and knowledge.  

Specifically, I think places like eHam where supposed technology savvy people hang out should be a resource for people to clarify a narrow question about rf or get help over an technical obstacle a person can't get through.

eHam and other sites are not online colleges to teach novices everything from basic to advanced radio subjects.  Newbies are too lazy to even do searches.  On eHam anybody can find multiple answers to the same questions because of lazy people who just ask repeated questions instead of doing searches first making those who want to help repeat the same answers over and over again.

I am personally sick and tired of reading questions or comments on eHam written by people with no spelling skills, no grammar skills, who are lazy, who want me to spend more effort than themselves to get answers, and the attitudes of helpless, snotty, smart asses encourage me to do nothing for these kind of people.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »

You think suggesting using Google is bad?  I used to use the phrase "Google Is Your Friend" and got roundly criticized for it.

However, suggesting to some of the seekers of knowledge who dislike being told to "Google it" is nothing compared to suggesting "Try it!  See if it works!"  Or "Experiment!"

They can't be bothered.  They paid for a plug-'n-play radio and that's what they want.

You can recognize a lot of them by their calls: 1x2s and 2x1s, mostly.  Call sign lookups are generally quite revealing.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »

And you wonder why I recommend getting an ARRL Handbook?  Answers you can trust!
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: