The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towhouse situation: dipole or loop? Feedline issue  (Read 1671 times)
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 04:05:27 AM »

Make the loop.  The higher, the better... the larger, the better.  It does not have to be cut to frequency.  Feed it with ladder line if possible.  Use either a 1:1 or 4:1 balun and your tuner.
This is probably your best "multi-band" option.
Good Luck!

-Mike.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 06:46:43 AM »

Why not check out the shortened dipole at www.efabantenna.com   it is a true dipole and would work well for you're location. And yes there is a picture of the insides of the unit on the web site so you can see no odd stuff here....
K2FR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 06:50:52 AM »

get as much wire as you can "Outside"  under the eve's etc etc..  center feed it with 450 ohm ladder line, down to a 4 to 1 or a 1 to 1 balun right before the tuner.

will pretty much be the best antenna you will get for the situation.

Do not run much power into it, or you will cause havoc with tv's and everything else..  low power is recommended if you want to keep it un noticed
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »

Ham radio is not expensive if you are resourceful.

You can make a cheap balun by finding an old AM radio with a ferrite loop stick in it.  Some older models had fairly long ferrites in them.  Hack the loop stick out and remove the wires from it.  Find some isulated wire with fairly good insulation and wind 5 or 10 turns bifilar on the ferrite.  You now have a 1:1 balun you can hook one end to the tuner output and ground and the other two ends to the twin lead.

Feed the dipole with the twin lead.  If at first you have matching problems, adjust the length of the feedline until you can get a match.

Don't run a lot of power or you will get to know your neighbors pretty well.  I would also suggest cw or PSK because its harder for the neighbors to determine what the cause of interference is and they are better for weak signal work.

The suggestion to read the antenna book is also good.  Don't dispair, you can build a ham station in an apartment.  You don't need a lot of $$$$$.
AE6NG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »

Raymond, N5LRZ,

Thanks for your opinion. Don't worry, I stil have fun with my radio at my QTH. No need to camp out just to have a little fun with ham radio. I used a short 15m end fed wire and got some QSO in PSK31 with VK, VE, and JA. I just need to have a better antenna if that's even possible for my QTH. Thanks again for your concerns.
AE6NG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 11:19:46 AM »

Dave WX7G,
Thanks for the reply. I have some ferrite rods that I can use to make a choke balun.

Mike WA3SKN,
Thanks for the suggestion, too. Yes, I will probably try the dipole and experiment with the loop as well. I will use the ferrite rods for 1:1 and 4:1 balun at the tuner. I have some old twinlead somewhere.

Andrew K2FR,
Thank you as well. Yes, I don't want to create havoc to my neighors. I will definitely making some baluns with my ferrite rods.

Jeff N3JBH,
I have enough room for a 40m dipole. I'd like to experiment rather than buy one. That's where the excitment is, right? I thought of making 'no counterpoise antenna system' mentioned somewhere in eham website. It's just 50' long for 40m and up. It might be another option for me. Thanks for your suggestion.

Bill WA7NCL,
Thanks for the input. Yes, I have several ferrite rods laying around. I agree with you, ham radio doesn't to be expensive. I will look into the Antenna Handbook.

Well everyone, I know that I can rely on elmers! Thanks again for the inputs and encouragement. I will try the dipole then some other time will do the loop.

73, Johanes
AE6NG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 11:53:44 PM »

Hi All,

Just an update for everyone who have been helpful. I erected a G5RV Junior, one leg laying on the roof, the other leg slopping down above the garage. I feed the antenna with a 1:1 choke balun made of RG58 coax wound on a ferrite rod.

The result? I had several PSK31 contacts with VE, VK, JA, Venezuela, and many east coast stations. I am really excited! And I just ran at 50 Watts.

The little problem is, my computer speaker picked up the inteference.

Next time, I will experiment with the loop antenna. I can make it off the roof, so I hope this will reduce the interference.

Thanks all,

Johanes
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: