Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry 2 k classic  (Read 252 times)
WB8JBG

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »

I have a hum or buzz in my amp. the more wattage I put into it from my transmitter the louder it becomes. I have been told that it is the transformer vibrating. Anyone heard of this condition and if so how do I cure it?
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »

I've had large old transformers buzz when the plates had loosened up over the years. I've never felt the need to fix it, but I'm told that you can press on the laminated plates with a stick until you find the loose spot and run a bit of adhesive into the laminate to stop it.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:35:02 PM »

Henry amps used not only a plate transformer but also a HV choke, could be either one of these.

Have you opened up the power supply pedestal (careful!) and inspected to see if anything is obviously loose?  You might find loose machine screws holding down either the transformer or the choke, or both.  If not, try torquing the corner screws that hold the laminated core stack together.  The stacks are usually varnished, but if the hardware has become loosened you can re-tighten it and see if that helps.

WB2WIK/6
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:30:06 PM »

Is this a physical vibration (caused by magnetic flux), or is the output voltages or RF signals being affected?

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: