Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-50R, cant get 76-200 to show up in extend  (Read 832 times)
W7ZAT

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »

I inhereted this scanner, full of freqs from my dad when he passed. I want to scan the local airport freq in the 122 range. So following the manual instruction I direct entered the freq, then couldnt make it save without an "ERROR" coming on the screen. At first I thought I had misunderstood that "pressing the PTT" to save the freq was wrong, but could find no other reference as to how to save the freq to prove I had been in error.

Further research indicated that maybe I had not set it to the "extended US receive" mode. However, when I attempted to turn the unit on while holding button down and lamp light on, which is supposed to set it extended, and erase all saved freqs, it did nothing but shove me into the RLAST menu selection, and erased nothing.

For S&G, I then clicked the button to rotate through the available bands, and found I had the 144, 380, 430 and 800 bands to chose from, two of which are in the exteded US range. However, the 76-200 range was not there.

So I must be doing something wrong, or something must be locked that disallows the lamp/button reset to happen.

Any ideas what I should do to correct this? Oh, and it has the Ft-112 enhanced keypad.

W7ZAT
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:10:43 AM »

not all FT50's are the same. Yaesu made several versions. Yours may not cover FM broadcast/Air Band.

FYI - the FT-50R is a TRANSCEIVER, it is not a scanner, it will TRANSMIT, and you must be careful NOT to transmit outside your licensed frequencies.

There is a big Yahoo Group that is dedicated to the FT-50.
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »

When the frequency is set out of the ham bands, depressing the PTT button ought to give you an ERROR display. The radio is designed to prevent out of band transmission.

Check your manual for other ways to save frequencies.  Don't have the manual? There is one at this URL: http://www.dis.org/radio/radios/ft50/ft50_manual.pdf

I had a quick look at that manual & learned that saving memory involves several steps with the F/W button.  Too involved to condense for you here.  The procedure is on page 27.  

From what you wrote, you did not quite do the right things to expand receiver coverage.  First set the radio to operate in VFO A or B.  Momentarily pressing the knob recalls the preset band-ranges for tuning and scanning.  To reset for expanded range, hold the knob and LAMP button depressed while turning the transceiver on.

Note that you need to enter the AM mode for receiving aircraft communications.  That procedure is on page 25.
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »

And the above post launched before I was done.

Note that you will not see a range display "76-200". The default display for the 76-200 range is 145 MHz. When you are in the 145 MHz range, you can manually enter your aviation frequency.

I must also correct an earlier comment (that launched before I could fix it): The correct demodulation mode (FM, WFM or AM) is automatically selected according to the entered frequency.  When you enter an aviation frequency, the receiver should be receiving AM with no additional effort on your part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: