Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New HF/6m transceiver from Kenwood??  (Read 1316 times)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »

Just yesterday, an amateur friend and I were having coffee at IHOP. The very subject of Flex and other SDRs came up. Both of us were of the opinion that something is lost in the translation between them and traditional radios. I suspect the argument is as pervasive as any in amateur radio. However...

If and when Kenwood comes out with a competing radio, I'll lay odds it won't be a SDR! One could fill up a few megabytes debating the issue, but my take is, if "No Knobs Mike" bets on SDR, he's liable to lose his money.

By the way, Mike, I have an IC-7600, and I like the display just fine. It easily rivals the 7700 and 7800 in that department. Probably, the single most-noticed attribute by yours truly, and one which will undoubtedly be missed by most folks who buy the radio, are the default menu settings. They're nigh on perfect, including the VOX settings.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »

John---I would include my ICOM IC-740 (ham-band only)rig in the 'same league' as the ones you mention. Though older, it deserves the same accolades, in my view.
73---Ernie
FOXBAT426

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 04:47:44 PM »

ernie, absolutely - the 740 is definately in that bunch - a kick a$$ rig! - in fact i'm looking for one - the 751a also has to mentioned.

john
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »

Alan,

Owning a lot of HP and Agilent spectrum analyzer I just could not get by the display on the 7600. To me the display looks a lot different than the 7700 and the 7800. I sat with the technical representative from ICOM Friday night at Visalia DX Convention and we talked about the display. In order to stretch the display to the same width as the 7700 they could not go to the next level of resolution bandwidth with out a major change in the spectrum analyzer receiver. The box was too small and the decision that having a radio as the same foot print as the Pro-III was more important. I will give them their due and the receiver IF filters worked very well but to me it was like looking at a classic Mercedes Gull Wing and someone paints flames down the side.

73,   Mike
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 09:43:29 AM »

KEN WHO?

Clayton
W4KVW
PA5MW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 02:11:28 AM »

Just returned from the Show at Friedrichshafen. Kenwood had a large poster at their booth, showing a new HF/6m rig and a TH-7D follow up**.

The HF/6m rig  was advertised as a follow up in the famous range of TS440/450/570 (all 3 shown). This new rig was only partly shown with computer drawings. It sure is in the 570 format, but with an extra set of 4 dial knobs. Full DSP controls etc.? Your guess is as good as mine...

The TH-D7 follow up is a 95% copy of the current version but with GPS built in.

Both were "planned for 2010".

73 Mark, PA5MW

** sri, did not have a camera with me
N0IWK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 08:52:14 AM »

Was the link below the picture of the Poster for the New Kenwood HF rig coming out in 2010?

http://obrazki.elektroda.net/77_1247164043.jpg

Anyone have more info On it?

I doubt I'll replace my Kenwood TS-950SDX with as it doubt it will be in the same league.

I'm Afraid the 950DSX will be their last Full Sized Flagship Rig!

73'

Kevin Diehl (CNA, CWNA, CWNE, MENSA)
N0IWK
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 09:40:55 AM »

"(CNA, CWNA, CWNE, MENSA)"

Smiley
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 10:32:51 AM »

People kvetched so loud Beppe complied.  The tuning is maintained regardless of focus

http://www.cqdx.it/woodbox/Tmate.html

73  W9OY
W8KQE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »

What's the latest on this upcoming Kenwood rig?  Is it a totally new design, or a 'repackaged TS-480'? Anyone have pics?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 01:27:44 PM »

<<I quite frankly don’t understand the need for knobs anymore. Maybe in some mobile applications for convenience.>>

Well, frankly Mike, I don't know why anyone would want a radio without knobs.

While I'm sort of forced to use a computer, that in itself doesn't mean I'm enamored with computers enough to use one in place of my 7600, no matter how good someone thinks flex radios are. Same scenario about why doesn't everyone use a Scorpion antenna? Well, maybe they don't want to spend the bucks, but what ever the reason, sobeit.

One thing's for sure. We all should get out of the mode of "all or nothing, but _____ mode" (fill in the blank).

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W6OP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »

<<I quite frankly don’t understand the need for knobs anymore. Maybe in some mobile applications for convenience.>>

I work in front of a computer all day as a programmer. When I get off work my eyes are tired and I am tired of the computer. It's relaxing to just lean back in my chair and slowly turn the knob listening for DX.

However, there are times when point and click are good. During contest I use HRD and can quickly click on the cluster to chase some DX. An SDR with a panoramic display would be great then, too.

So I want a radio I can do both on rather than one that doesn't give me a choice.

Pete W6OP
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »

Well Pete then you are in luck.  

I just plugged my knob into my F5K and sat back with my headphones on and my eyes closed and tuned 40 and heard a UA6 and a OH2 running about 35 wpm.  I then opened my eyes and click tuned a OA7 and a PY2

I then switched on the alpha code diversity mode and using 2 antennas peaked the signals for best SNR and very reduced fading and sat back and enjoyed copying the mail

73  W9OY
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »

Back to the original question. During a recent eye ball conversation with a long time Kenwood Authorized Service technician, the subject got around to the dearth of new Kenwood ham gear. My friend said that he looked for Kenwood's future to be in commercial and public safety communications equipment. That is his hunch only but it does make sense since Icom and Vertex/Motorola have a significant presence in those areas. In the meantime maybe we can get Kenwood to have some good live entertainment in their rather large but bare area at Dayton.

Russ
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »

"What's the latest on this upcoming Kenwood rig? Is it a totally new design, or a 'repackaged TS-480'? Anyone have pics?"

No, the new Kenwood HF rig will be different to the TS-480. It will have an IF DSP.

73, Peter - HB9PJT
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: