Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uniden HR2510 CPU Reset  (Read 6672 times)
N6CIC

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:22 PM »

I have a Uniden HR2510 10-meter transceiver I would like to give to a Technician-grade ham to get him started in Ham Radio.  The radio receives, however the digital display has locked up and the display only shows all 8's.  I assume resetting the CPU might correct this, but I have no idea how to do it or if that would work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:31:44 PM »

As a former owner of the 2510 in factory spec condition...

I do not seem to remember any memory to reset nor any menu as seen on the newer radios.  

I do not seem to remember nor did the manual that came with the radio mention a reset sequence.

Now there was a CB illegal chip that many put in the radios that made them transmit on the CB Band.  Perhaps the radio has one of these alternate chips--see the following for a possible reset sequence

http://www.chipswitch.com/Chip-Users-Manual.htm

For amateur use the alternate chip is OK on the 10 meter band however you might remind this person to take care not to transmit outside of his authroized frequencies.
KB9JXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:45:04 PM »

Never saw a "CB illegal chip" for the 2510/2600/Lincoln but I do have a chipswith for my president lincoln. With that there is a reset procedure plus split operation,memory channels,12 meters,ect. But either way there is a pair of capisitors that hold a charge on the main cpu ( the 64 pin ic on the small circuit board ) Pin 32 and one other is tied together and should show voltage even with power removed with the proper HIGH impedance volt meter. They hold the memory channels and other saved data in the chipswitch. If one wanted to make sure that either cpu is reset is to assure there is no voltage present on any of the pins on the main main cpu. AND trust me, its takes several months for those to bleed out on their own.

If you can't find the info you need, let me know,i will dig out my notes. It's been awhile but I know those radios very well. BTW any info on the Radio Shack HTX-100 will help you. It's the same radio and also will do 12 meters/cb along with any of the other three even without the chipswitch if you change the 24 mhz crystal and tune correctly. ie. 21 mhz crystal = 25.000- 26.700 ect. you just have to know how to subtract :-) I have one that I even modded to 15 meters (yes clean output and all)but it was a lot more work than the average guy would ever spend on a radio.

KB9JXZ @ Yahoo.com

Best of luck,
 Mike Froehlich
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:45:56 AM »

Re JZX ...

Geee were you out of the loop.  

Yes, there was and there still might be a chip fix in which you changed a chip in the radio to allow the radio to transmit outside of the 10 meter band (which the CB Illegals used to transmit Illegally on the CB Band) which also allowed additional features not available on the factory spec radio.

The alteration you are speaking of was only for frequency alterations.  The chip went a bit further and added additional features and abilities.
KB9JXZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:23:50 AM »

Not out of the loop - ahead of the curve. when those radios first came out, there was no chipswitch.And still the only way to get a htx on 12.

as posted :

" But either way there is a pair of capisitors that hold a charge on the main cpu ( the 64 pin ic on the small circuit board ) Pin 32 and one other is tied together and should show voltage even with power removed with the proper HIGH impedance volt meter. They hold the memory channels and other saved data in the chipswitch. If one wanted to make sure that EITHER cpu is reset is to assure there is no voltage present on any of the pins on the main main cpu. AND trust me, its takes several months for those to bleed out on their own. "

This would be the reset procedure.Make shure there is no voltage on that ic and it WILL be reset.

KB9JXZ
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:06:37 AM »

Re JXZ...

Would not know when the chip fix came out because I never put one it.  

I did however modify for expanded frequency to monitor outside the 10 meter band--never ever actually transmitted on the so called free band though.  

I later reversed the mod because the results annoyed me.

HOWEVER I must say in defense of the 2510 that the HR 2510 was one of the better of an in general very very bad group of so called illegal CB Export radios.  It might have been a damn good single band 10 M radio IF the thing would have had an output on SSB of 100 watts for the same price you paid for 25.
N6CIC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  I will try to make sure the voltage is off the CPU chip and see if that works.  Also we now have a copy of the Service Manual, which I hope will help.
Thanks again and 73s, Scott N6CIC
MOX509

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:48:38 PM »

I always use master reset from chipswitch manual.
Turn power switch off.Press BAND-SCAN- METER all together & then switch on.Works for me even on non chipswitched radios.
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »

i have some articles here from a canandian dealer from 1992 who was selling the chipswitch for the 2510/2600 series rigs.
 i had a used 2510 in 1995 and it had the chipswitch package in it. i dont have the rig anymore,but it did have a cpu reset i remember.
 ve7ren brent
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »

The chipswitch did not make the 2510 work on 11M to make it a illegal radio. The chipswitch added a bunch of features. The 11M mod could be made regardledd of the chipswitch. I had purchased a 2510 several years ago from another ham, and it already had the 11M mod.

However, the 2600 would be made useable on 11M by the chipswitch. The 2600 had the easy 11M mod removed at the urging of the FCC.

As far as a reset, I do not recall any. Rememember, these radios were around in 1990, which doesn't make them very new.
MOX509

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 02:57:03 PM »

Did you try  my reset?
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 10:07:52 PM »

As posted before
"I always use master reset from chipswitch manual.
Turn power switch off.Press BAND-SCAN- METER all together & then switch on.Works for me even on non chipswitched radios."

This is the first thing to try.
KB9JXZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:35:20 PM »

I had someone drop me an e-mail on this post and thought it would be a good idea to pass it along for others. This individual was a licenced ham whom I did not ask permission to post this to the wold therefore I have with held his name / call.

Subject: Uniden 2600 Crystal mathematics
To: KB9JXZ@Yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 4:46 PM

Hi
I noticed on eham you mentioned changing the crystal in this or a similar radio.
I m a ham (callsign / name), and would like to look at this.
Can you give me the bit of math / radios IF dance, to figure the right crystal for shifting to 12 meters?
Thanks

Hi name,

Well the short story is .....you change the crystal on the small CPU board. It is labeled x-302 on the schematic. It is a 22.000 Mhz crystal and the way it is used is...if you put a 21.000 Mhz crystal in its place and your radio says you are on 28.000 Mhz you are actually on 27.000 Mhz, You put in a 20.000 Mhz crystal in and you are tuned to 28.000 Mhz, you are on 26.000 Mhz and so on. I have used old computer mother board crystals in the past or old computr video boards, hamfest is good for that stuff. or online, i have ordered them before.

There is also a matter of tuning of the receiver front end and the transmit section (along with a few other things) but is very manageable even with the most modest tools and equipment.

I am not sure of your technical knowledge so I am not sure how much detail you need.  depending on what you want to do with the radio it is very good to work with for mods and ect.

There is also an IC chip you can replace ....the main cpu ( the 64 pin big boy)..a company from California used to sell them and I think they still do. It's called Chipswitch. It also needs a few other mods to get it to work with the chip on 12 meters but nothing a junk cb radio won't provide and gives you memory channels,split,better scanning, and more.

Hope this helps , if you need more help let me know.

P.S.  It is best to just tune the radio to 12 meters and leave it there but I have switched 2 crystals back and fourth and spread out the tuning but it is a compromise.

Mike Froehlich
KB9JXZ@YAHOO.COM
KB9JXZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »

AND what did happen with that reset??? shure wish people would post what happened or how they fixed the problem.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: