Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HamGadgets.com  (Read 993 times)
NU0R

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »

Hi to all! --- I saw an ad on E-Ham for a keyer kit made by HamGadgets.com. It is called the Pico-keyer Plus. The kit sells for $17 I think and looks to be incredibly easy to build. It says it is programmable for contests etc., is iambic, and you can adjust the weighting. No, I am not selling this keyer. I am asking if any of you guys have any experience with this keyer. I am building a portable station and the main rig will be a Kenwood TS 130 SE, which has no built in keyer. I would appreciate any input about this keyer, either pro or con.  Thanks you, Bruce/NU0R
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »

It's very easy to build and it works well from my limited testing.

I don't use mine much .. bought it as a replacement for another keyer kit that I thought had died but I resurrected, but it'll find its way into a project at some point.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AD5VM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »

the pico keyer is incredibly easy to build and use and modify for your application.

I've built probably six of them and put them in all manner of QRP rigs. Sometimes I use the included battery, others I hardwired the power to come from the rig, it comes with instructions and the couple extra parts to do this.
You can use the included piezzo buzzer for sidetone or configure it to inject it into the audio stage of the radio.

Can't go wrong.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 05:24:42 PM »

There's a whole pile of favorable reviews on this site:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3706

When a product has 73 reviews and a 4.9 out of 5 rating, it can't be all bad.<g>

Charles
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:30:46 PM »

The guy who wrote the firmware is quite talented.  You won't be unhappy with your selection.
KC9HOZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:00:52 AM »

I'm very happy with the 2 I've purchased.  They went together in a snap (and I consider my soldering skills a little better than 'novice').

Scott
kc9hoz
N0XAS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »

You know, every once in a while I stumble upon something like this and wonder how I missed it.  Yeah, they guy that runs HamGadgets.com is usually pretty easy to get along with.  Smiley  And if you do buy a kit from there and aren't happy with it, an email or phone call will almost always resolve the problem pretty quickly.

Dale - N0XAS
HamGadgets.com
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »

The Pico Keyer was the first thing I soldered since Junior High (MANY years ago.)  Within 2 hours at the back of a pizza joint, it was up and working optimally.  

If you can't solder this together, you should avoid anything hotter than a cup of coffee.
W6VPS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »

'SHZ:

"If you can't solder this together, you should avoid anything hotter than a cup of coffee."
Great line...I'm still chuckling.
Paul/W6VPS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: