Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone using a Golden Eagle 377XL HF Linear 160-10  (Read 2084 times)
W7TNS

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:28:51 PM »

Anyone out there using the Golden Eagle amp...377XL, which runs up to 500 watts on 160, and about 300 on 10M. Any info good bad, or indifferent wud be appreciated. Tnx...Jerry W7TNS   w7tnsatw7tns.us
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 06:10:01 AM »

I sure hope you aren't intending to put that piece of garbage on amateur bands!

That amplifer has two  2SC2879 transistors that are basically in class C. (I know they say class AB1, but that shows how dumb they are. Transistors don't have class AB1, they have A, AB, B C etc.)

The 2SC2879 goes grossly non-linear at about 100 watts per transistor, so at the very best expect 200W PEP output before IM (splatter) becomes unacceptable, and that would be AFTER you add a correct bias system and output lowpass filters.

They do make a four transistor version, but that one isn't any better so far as basic design.

The worse thing about CB amps is when they find their way onto amateur bands!!

73 Tom
W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 07:42:15 AM »

Tnx for the input, OM.
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 10:44:59 AM »

Ha ha, thats actually quite funny!!

I was on 40m,20m,17m yesterday and ran across no less than 5 "hams" overdriving and splattering their amps there. What a disgrace it is when people that are supposed to be technically inclined can't tune an amp or set it up in such a way that it actually works as intended..

I bet that eagle amp driven just right would be cleaner than half of the "amateur operators" who think they know what they are doing with the big boy amps but are too dumb to open a manual or follow sound operating practices when using them.

Regards.. Richy N2ZD
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 07:37:33 PM »

Richy,

Unless I'm mistaken you just said a PAIR of 2SC2879's, which are RATED at 120 watts maximum PEP and really aren't clean unless held below 100 watts and operated with a good bias supply will be clean at 350 to 500 watts compared to "big overdriven amps" used by people who don't know the power limits of their amps.

That makes no sense at all.

73 Tom
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 07:15:13 AM »

I guess some people are buying the eBay import junk - "designer boxes without all of the necessary parts!"

RF Parts is now offering "retro-fit" kits for these amplifiers. "Add negative feedback to transmitters and amplifiers that was omitted by factory"
http://www.rfparts.com/thermal.html

w9gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: