The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay Ham Radio Equipment Sellers  (Read 9683 times)
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 09:12:45 AM »

Alan

" If not, chances are about 95% of the time, you're going to get stung."

Your probablity doesn't ring true with experiences posted in this thread or my own personal experiences. If the buyer got stung 95% of the time, you'd not have anyone buying on Ebay anymore!

My personal experience it that I've never had a problem and I've run into some very good dealers. But that's my using my own set of standards before dealing with a vendor. I've bought a number of electronic items including printers, scanners, and radios.

Everyone who I've spoken with that had a bad experience on Ebay either tried to shortcut the system, expected more than was stated, or go intoxicated with the bidding process.

My standards:
Must have approval rating over 99%. (Most big vendors can't support a 100% any more.)
Must be an experienced vendor with hundreds of transactions.
Never expect anything more than what's in the add.
If it says as is, then it's not working.
If it says working, then it's working.
If the vendor offers an period for return and says it's working, then it's probably working.
Have a max price before you start bidding.
Walk away when the price exceeds your max price.

These guidelines have made EBay a very useful marketplace for both myself personally and my business.

Bernie
K2YO
N1EQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »

I've had about 500 successful transactions on eBay. Only once did I get ripped off (for a $20 item).

And I've had many, many more successful transactions using PayPal. I've been using PayPal since its inception (in 2000).

So frankly, I am mystified by all complaints regarding eBay/PayPal. I guess I'm just lucky?
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 09:40:34 AM »

Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't been ripped off yet on eBay.  Or even the news groups.  I've bought a number of things, HAM and otherwise, on eBay and the groups, and so far everything has been what I expected.  When I bought on the news groups, I ALWAYS made sure I had phone and contact info.  The only problem I had that even raised my suspicions was when the Alinco dual-bander was slow to ship, but then I realized the guy that was selling it gave me a work number at a hospital and that hospital happened to be on the news that week dealing with some disaster.

I've been ripped off more by 'locals' than I've EVER been ripped off over the web or internet.  Maybe it's just that because they are local, I let my normal guard down...

Mike
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »

I've bought and sold on eBay (not HAM equipment much) since shortly after it began, back when there were maybe 30,000 items on the entire site. I don't chase feedback, so my 500 or so is really more like 2,000. I've never been ripped, except when I ripped myself by knowingly taking a shot at something I thought might be inadequately described and might be a bargain. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I think most of the complaints come from people who took a known risk and wish they hadn't.

"AS-IS" means exactly that. You accept ALL the risk for what arrives in the box. Some items are clearly being offered by folks who pick up anything and couldn't evaluate equipment if they wanted to. "NOT DOA" means almost nothing. I take it to mean it lights up, and smoke doesn't come out when you turn it on. That's all. "NEW" means exactly that. Never before sold. And that means the seller will surely know a good bit about what's being sold. If they don't, there's something wrong. "I saw my late father using this" means only that, maybe years ago, they saw it being used. Doesn't mean they didn't find it in the SK's junk box when he died.

If someone represents that they know how to operate and evaluate the gear and that all functions appear to work as they should, and that they will accept a return if it doesn't, you have grounds to complain if they don't live up at least to the return policy. If they say AS-IS, no matter what else they say, you have no complaint unless rocks have been substituted for the works in the box. The catch is that anyone who knows enough to check it out knows its worth and knows how to describe it so that everyone else who knows its worth can bid. There is indeed more "AS-IS" in the radio category than in any other that I've had anything to do with. But they're telling up front, so don't complain.

There's nothing complicated about this. It's a market. You can expect things to be as they are advertised, but your agreement to accept an AS-IS without complaint trumps everything else except outright sending you something different from what was offered. Auctions largely depend on folks watching an item so long they come to think of it as their own before they bid, and that tends to foul their judgment. If you can't handle that, don't play in auctions of any kind. I often use eBay because most sellers get their stuff shipped very quickly with no fooling around filling in forms on a store's web site.

Now, if you want to see real crooked dealing, attend a live auction.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »

There are a lot of very general (and incorrect) statements being made about Ebay.

I've had over 300 transactions on Ebay, and out of those, about half a dozen turned out to be deficient in some respect.  In every case, I got either a total refund or enough to fix the problem.

Use a little common sense with Ebay, or any other marketplace, and you won't run into too many problems.  People get burned when they fail to do their homework in advance.  The same can be said for any other contract you enter into, be it for a house, car, or a used radio.

Alan's comment of getting burned "95% of the time" is assuming the buyer is either extremely unlucky or extremely stupid and lazy.
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 12:04:55 PM »

I'm going on 10+ years as an eBay and PayPal member.  I've sold a lot of ham gear and never misrepresented anything.  I only made one HF radio purchase and got burned.  The dreaded RadioMart!!  PayPal had my refund within days of my filing a complaint.  I have no complaints.  As a matter of fact I just received a D104/Tug-8 model in the exact condition it was advertised.  You have to use common sense even on eBay and pay attention to their feedback! I did not when I bought from RadioMart.  Beware these four most common eBay warning signs in the description:
1.  “Worked ok last time I used it”.
2. “Have no way of testing this radio, amp, etc”.  (But the seller's ID is an amateur radio call or they state they are a licensed ham) Give me a break!
3. “Selling for a friend (insert #2)”
4. Item description is “like new” or similar but photos are so bad you can’t tell what the object is let alone if it’s in like new condition.
HFRF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »

>>>There are a lot of very general (and incorrect) statements being made about Ebay. >>>

Well, well, well, we have a know it all that thinks he's smart and the rest of us are stupid?

Same clown says people on ebay get screwed because they didn't do their homework! Really.

If a lying bastard seller says an item works but he is lying through his teeth, how does "doing your homework going to work against this kind of seller?
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »

Anymore Ebay has been going 100% Paypal and that leaves a lot of us out of the loop that dont use and REFUSE to use Paypal and only pay via money orders . So therefore, i am DONE with Ebay. They can take Paypal and stuff it in their you-know-what.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 03:16:42 PM »

I have made well over 500 purchases on eBay, various items, including Ham Radio.  I think only ONE purchase was not what I expected.

As with some of the above comments:

1.  Only buy from someone with near 100% feedback.
2.  Never, Never buy from someone without any feedback, or just a few.
3.  Lots of feedback (100 or more) is highly desirable.  Take the time to look a specific comments in the feedback.  Look at the types of items seller has sold.  One ploy is to sell some minor stuff, get some good feedback, then sell something expensive.  If all the feedback is for nickel and dime stuff, and now has a HF rig for sale, beware (especially if not a ham)!
4.  While still during auction period, ask (via eBay) questions of seller.  If you don't get an answer, DON'T BID.  If seller is unresponsive while trying to sell the item, how responsive do you expect him to be after it's sold?  Don't Bid.
5.  If answers to questions are short and incomplete, probably best to not bid.
6.  Read carefully what is included.  Just because a new item includes charger, cables (or whatever) doesn't mean the item for sale comes with those items.  If it's not specifically mentioned in text or shown in picture, you won't get it.  If doubt, ask a question, don't assume.
7.  Always use PayPal.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 07:09:14 PM »

I have bought maybe a dozen various pieces of ham gear on-line. Most of it was out of production stuff that I wanted for some reason. Most of it was stuff that I used to own and wished I had back, or something that was the state of the art back when I became a ham but I didn't have the money to buy it then.
I would have to say that most of the time I have been disappointed in the condition. I can't really say it was the fault of the seller. I jump into these deals on impulse.
I bought a Ten Tec Century 21 within the last year. I wanted one because it had been my first rig as a novice. I specifically said that I wanted one in mint condition, or like new condition or something to that effect. I got the rig and it wasn't too bad but had a chip in the paint right on the front panel. I asked the guy about it and he said "it was in good condition for a 30 year old radio". I just laughed. I should have asked for pictures and a better description of it. I also said in the ad that I wanted the accessories for the radio like the crystal calibrator and the keyer they made to match the radio. The guy threw in the tuner and keyer. They WERE the keyer and tuner he was using with the radio, but they wern't the ones Ten Tec sold as accessories for that particular rig. Again, I just laughed because I really got the impression this was an old guy that lived way back in the sticks and he really didn't get the way things are done. In his mind he was being honest and giving me what I asked for. We just wern't on the same page.

The worst deal I ever made was the last deal I ever made. I wanted a Yaesu VX-1. I bought one when they first came out. I have a VX-2, and the VX-3 so I thought it would be cool to have all three of them. I bought one without asking enough questions. I got it and it didn't work. Wouldn't even charge the battery. Turns out the guy wasn't a ham and did some mods to it to use it on FRS or something like that. The thing isn't even a good paperweight. It isn't heavy enough to hold down paper.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 08:11:19 PM »

hi,

always do your research before you buy,
watch the stuff you want before you are ready
to buy it now!

check the sellers previous purchases,
that 'mint' radio may have been an as is
radio last month.

sharp photos of just the faceplate raise the
red flag, just look at the photos from Radio....
blurry or doctored to hide callsign markings,
"I'm a Collins guy, took this on a trade" etc..

73 james
KA4AQM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 05:31:11 AM »

KB6VIV...you hit nail on head.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »

I stopped buying anything of substance from Ebay after this happened to me.

I was in the market for a replacement HT.  I found this Icom that came in a full model and a reduced model they called the "sport model".  I bid based on the description that implied it was the full model.  I later found out after the seller admitted he was misleading in his ad, that it was the cheaper sport model.  Not wishing to get stuck with this, I withdrew my bid.

Ebay sent me nastygrams about withdrawn bids being unacceptable and so on.  When I asked about whether misleading bids were also unacceptable, I was told that they buyers should check things out.  Turns out there is no protection for buyers who get suckered.

If I buy something from HRO, I get a warranty.  If it is broken, they will fix it.  If I buy from Ebay, I get nothing.

Sorry Ebay, my money comes too dear to play that game.
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 02:13:49 PM »

"When I asked about whether misleading bids were also unacceptable, I was told that they buyers should check things out. Turns out there is no protection for buyers who get suckered."

-----------------------

Well, yes, buyers should check things out...that is just common sense.  You are also incorrect about there being "no protection for buyers who get suckered".  If you receive something that you didn't bargain for, you can file a complaint with EBAY or PAYPAL, and the system works.
If you placed a bid BEFORE you asked questions...then shame on you.  
Neither EBAY, the government nor God can protect someone from their own stupidity....although the government tries.
KB1IAI

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 07:27:14 AM »

hello everyone.
my ebay experience are mostly good.
i've been a buyer and seller since 1998,
with almost 300 feedbacks.
i've had five bad experiences,
1) a train set that UPS crushed.
2) antenna that looked like
   UPS used it to jack up a truck.
3) a set of matched icom hts
   (uhf/vhf) that the post office
   delivered in a garbaage bag
   because they (usps) spilled a
   chemical on them and they melted.
4) a 100yr banjo that ups smashed
   two hours from my house. they asked
   if i still wanted it... NOT!
5) i was selling a harly primary chain
   belt and the buyer insisted that it
   was supposed to be 4 links wide.
   (dope)

the reasons i am not going to use
evel-bay anymore are,
1)they insist on paypal only, no
  money orders allowed.
2) ups, or usps only,
   fedex not allowed.
3) they have raised the fees to
   unreasonable amounts.

if your using evelbay then READ
THE FEEDBACK!!!
EMAIL THE BUYER/SELLER ABOUT THE ITEM!!
dont be afraid to GIVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK
IF YOU HAVE BEEN SCREWED!!!
ebay is a tool like a screwdiver or
a soldering iron.
use common sense when on the playground.

73 paul kb1iai
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: