Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay Ham Radio Equipment Sellers  (Read 3513 times)
KF7EGG

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 08:01:52 AM »

I have used Ebay to make several purchases and have gotten what the seller said they were selling every time...so far.

I don't use Ebay a lot though and am very careful to read the item description and ask questions before I bid.

As for PayPal, I had a problem with them years ago when I ran another website. I did make a mistake that violated their terms of use and was fine with the fact that they found me at fault. What I don't like is that the minor amount of $$ I had made in other transactions that were fully in compliance of their terms of use are STILL BEING HELD by them and they refuse to release the funds. That is why I will not purchase from a seller that does not offer an option other than PayPal for payment.

when Ebay gets to the point where no other payment options are allowed, I'll generate my own auction site!
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 08:20:47 AM »

I have bought dozens and dozens of ham radio rigs on ebay, many from non hams and I have never had any problems.
in fact, I have spent well over $100,000.00 on ebay in the last 5 years buying everything from multiple cars to real estate to ham radio , to everything in my daily life.
never regretted any purchase.

it is a great place to buy.

kevin rea
k6rea
palmdale, calif.
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »

I have purchased a lot of stuff on eBay for Ham Radio and I can say I have only been burned once or twice.

Feedback is the second thing I check after what is being sold. If there is bad feedback I go read it, if the person has 1 bad comparted to 100 good then I dont have a problem.

I always look at like this, I only buy if I am getting a good enough deal to be able to put the cost of a repair into it and not get hurt. Its like anything else in life, you look at a risk and decide if its worth it.

No at Swap and Swindles I have been burned! Not at local ones I know most of the people there but Dayton I have been burned at. Now I only buy parts or stuff that that you can tell if its good on the spot. I do love going to Dayton and shoping at the new vendors inside. So I am not knocking Dayton just saying that there is always a risk and if a buyer is carefull there are some very nice deals on eBay and you dont have to drive house and get up in the middle of the night to go to a Swap and Shop.

My 2 cents worth, keep the change.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 12:58:54 AM »

One problem with eBay is that it has inflated expectations from sellers of the prices for stuff. That's why a new radio from a dealer can end up costing little more (and maybe a lot less if, in fact, the eBay one turns out to be a clunker)
AC5S

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »

Never had any issues.  Bought 25 plus radios and 100 (plus) other items.  (1)  Check seller's feedback (if less than 25 don't buy;  If feedback is not close to 100%, don't buy)  (2) Read seller's feedback  (3)  Ask seller if you can call him or her. (If they balk at a phone call, don't do business with them)  (4)  ONLY use Paypal (If seller wants money order or other forms of payment, don't buy item) (5) Use the tools available to you on E-bay and Paypal IF you have a problem.  (I did have two items that were not as described, got my money back on both by following proceedures on E-bay and paypal.  NO questions asked)
(6)  Ask questions BEFORE you bid. (There is nothing worse than someone asking questions about an item AFTER the bidding is over and they won the auction.  Your bid is a contract, and with all contracts, make sure you know what you are buying and the condition of the item)  (7) Ask for additional pictures. (If seller will not do this or the pictures are poor, go somewhere else)  (Cool  Keep in mind that you are buying a used item.  Good luck!!
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 02:44:16 AM »

Well for me I have bought and sold without a problem.

But I have quit eBay.  It was nice while it lasted.  It is too expensive to sell on eBay; especially now that they have PayPal.  eBay and PayPal can drive the total sale expense to over 10%.  And the cards are stacked in their favor to boot...

Carl - W9PMZ
G8UBJ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 08:05:26 AM »

It can seem quite difficult to price used equipment but if you start with a piece of good condition used kit with all the manuals packaging a good guide is the current retail price times .73

Then add P&P

So assuming an FT-950 is $1340 (depending where you look) 1340 * .73 = $978

Of course it should be in good condition, if its a bit knocked about you have to make allowances.

If its modified by the supplier all well and good but be aware that not everyone is as good or careful as they imagine with a soldering iron. If its not modded by the supplier it will detract from the price!

Older kit is far harder to price. In addition to its condition, there is rarity and whether anybody wants it. If totally stuck have a look and see what price one sold for on eBay...

I never sell on Ebay, in the UK there are better sites for selling 2nd hand equipment and its far better for the buyer to know it works and shake on the deal having seen it "warts and all".

Some people buy from me knowing that I offered a demo, I suppose that says a lot for those who are happy to meet & offer a demo. Either way they know where I live...

73 Rex - G8UBJ

BTW the .73 figure just seems to work for me "for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: