Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-940S Problem...  (Read 239 times)
KK7KZ

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2009, 02:34:37 PM »

Today I looked at a TS940SAT that is for sale and seems to be operating but power out was about 45 watts. I didn't purchase but I started thinking it might be a candidate for repair and a re-negotiation of the asking price ($700).

Are there parts availability issues with this particular rig? I did some research and apparently these rigs' finals are somewhat sensitive to static discharges and nearby lightning strikes.

Comments? Big job to repair? Worth the effort?

R.
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »

Well, a couple of thoughts...

(1) Are you sure the output is only 45 watts?  Make sure that the radio is setup correctly.  For example, if it's in the FSK mode the output is actually controlled by the "Processor Out" control.

(2) If in fact the output is low I'd renegotiate....having said that if you really want a 940 if you get it for a good price you can have it repaired by Clif at AVVid (http://www.avvid.com/) at a reasonable rate [check his feedback here on eHam].

My 940 has been with me since it was new in 1986 and I lost a driver earlier this year which took out the finals.  About $300 to fix and done well by Clif.  I will keep this radio until it absolutely dies; it may be an oldie but it's a goodie!

73 -- Dino KL0S
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »

Correction to my last post....the finals were not taken out by the loss of a driver transistor...repair only required replacing the drivers.

Dino KL0S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: