Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-530S Help  (Read 678 times)
NH7FL

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »

Hello All,
I'm having a bit of a problem which I can't seem to resolve.  I have an old Kenwood TS-530S which works great except one problem.  On 20M the maximum output drops to 40 watts.  On every other band, tuned the transmitter puts out 100W and then some.  Should I replace the tubes?  I purchased this radio used and don't know what shape the tube finals are in, though like I said, every other band no problem. Suggestions?

Art
NH7FL
K5ROX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

Not the tubes!  Tubes would be weak on all bands.

When did this start happening?

Is the output low in CW and SSB on that band?

Also accross that band does the power vary?
WT4T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:57:40 AM »

I agree ,not the finals,low on one low on all. What are you using for your load on 20 meters,ant or dummy load?
If ant ,would check swr first. If dummy load, then check the band switch contacts,clean them up if needed. Also check the coupler for the band switch for being tight. When you first start the tune cycle,rig in tune position. quickly turn the band switch back and forth,both sides of 20 meters, see if you meter setting moves at all. Thats about all I can think of doing ,before you need to get into the rig, checking coils etc.
good luck
dale wt4t
K4GMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 05:32:42 PM »

Don't have an answer for you but I do have a link to a site that I use which has a good deal of information on Kenwood hybrids. http://www.k4eaa.com/index.html Ken answers questions via email but he is very busy and it might take a while.  Good Luck!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »

hi Art,

Dale has given you good info,
these old radios like to be used,
the band switches can get dirty over
the years.

Try Deoxit brand contact cleaner,
just the smallest drop is all you need.

join other ts-5xx/8xx fans here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 james
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 07:14:42 PM »

Are you usiing a good Dummy Load?  

If not, it may be the antenna...
NH7FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »

Thank you all for the help.  I decided to work backwards, and think I have somewhat isolated the problem.  The tubes tested OK, and the dummy load turned out not to be the problem, as I borrowed a heavy duty oil filled dummy load to re-test.  Here is what I did find.  The plate-dip reading does not display properly when the low-voltage tune tank circuit is activated...  When I transmitted with the tank circuit off and re-tuned the plate I was able to get it up to full power fairly easily... with that setting on, I re-activated the low-voltage tune circuit and lo and behold... the plate reading is unusually high.(the dip readings do not match as they do on the other bands)  I'm still puzzled as to why it only affects 20 meters as I repeated the manual procedure for all the other bands and all worked as they should. Now I'm REALLY puzzled as apparently this started happening recently... hopefully the problem isn't indicative of something else going bad... I really like this radio.

-Art NH7FL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: