Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy weatherproof enclosure for preamp?  (Read 3342 times)
NZ5N

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »

Hi,

I'm looking for a weatherproof enclosure for a 2m preamp and protective relays to be mounted outdoors on the antenna mast.

Any suggestions where to buy such an enclosure?

Bill NZ5N
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »

Home improvement stores sell watertight, UV stablized PVC junction boxes and fittings for them that might be a good choice.

Make sure you pay excellent attention to the connectors if you decide to seal the whole thing up (as opposed to drilling a weep hole at the bottom somewhere) because sealed enclosures need to not only be watertight, they need to be GAS tight to prevent water vapor ingress with subsequent condensation of liquid that builds up because it has nowhere to drain.

I think the enclosures by themselves are really sealed in that sense, but your connectors may not be if you're not careful.  The Topband email reflector guys seem to tell lots of horror stories about gasketed boxes that end up absolutely full of water because they weren't really hermetically sealed.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 06:41:44 PM »

Yep Dan is right... There great and come in many sizes.
Some folks call these Nema box's  like a 4x4x2 box is called a Nema 4X etc etc Jeff N3JBH  ( i think) going through mid life crisis wife said....
VK2TIL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »

The locally-made GME Kingray TV masthead amp enclosure is often used in VK;

http://www.all-areas-antennas.com.au/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=106&category=installitemsmisc

If shielding is required they are sprayed with nickel coating;

http://www.minikits.com.au/kits2.html#eme103

There is probably a US equivalent of these boxes; ask a TV antenna installer.
WB2LCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:45:06 AM »

Some Home Depots sella PVC NEMA box 12 x 12 x 6 that has a gasket under the lid! It is about
$25 dollars!

Mouser sells plastic and cast aluminum watertight boxes in many sizes..

One possability you may want to try. If you just want to keep the rain off your preamp! Go to a Fence company.Ask for scraps left over from PVC fence installs the PVC post are either 5x5 or 6x6 square.
buy a pvc cap for this and either screw it on ,or cement it on! You can get metal pipe clamps at Home Depot for about fifty cents each to fit your mast and bolt them to the square PVC tube and put a metal hook inside to hang the preamp on or bolt the preamp to the inside of the tube..

MFJ has a Wifi beam they sell that is made of this material. Gve thier site a look!

I have a homebrew remote antenna switch that i may mount on my fence this way..

Mike
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »

Websearch for Hoffman Enclosures, NEMA 12 rating

Once you find some model numbers, these are stocked by many different electronics parts suppliers, shouldn't be hard to find.  

--KE3WD
VA3BRR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:39:41 PM »

A suggestion once you find the box, to keep moisture inside the box under control, what we have started to do with our geocaches, (see geocaching.com if you want to know more about that) we save the little packets of silica gel from the new shoes and other products that we buy and put them inside the box.  This seems to be able to absorb most of the moisture that occurs inside the well sealed box.
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: