Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind Generator Noise  (Read 519 times)
W5JLF

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »

Has anybody had an RF noise problem that was associated with a wind generator?  I am thinking of installing a 2.5kw wind generator and would like to know if they create any RF noise.  I have taken an AM radio and tuned it off frequency and have been near (a few feet) a generator like I want to install and did not hear any noise.

Thanks,
Joe, W5JLF
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »

I will follow this thread too,  although I am equally concerned about AUDIO noise made by these things.  I have a perfect environment to put up a small wind generator if they aren\'t too noisy in either case.

Ed    K7AAT
KA1GJU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »

I have/had an Air 403 wind generator (not the Air403X) on my 100\' tower that assisted our 100% solar powered 2M repeater. It created both audio noise and AC ripple into the battery bank. When the wind was blowing and solar panels off line (i.e. winter nights) the repeater audio would pick up the AC ripple and it would sound like a ghost moaning in the background. The frequency of the sound would go up and down with the speed of the rotor.
  The audio noise could be heard from +350\' away in really windy conditions. The wind genny also vibrated the tower and it produced noise.

After one of our BIG storms over a year ago, it quit. Took it down and found two blades of the rotor were only held by one bolt. The carbon fiber blade snapped between the bolt holes. Also found one of the copper braids going to the brush assembly shorted to ground. Replaced all blades and awaiting some free time to reinstall.

73 de Kriss
KA1GJU
KA1GJU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »

I have/had an Air 403 wind generator (not the Air403X) on my 100\' tower that assisted our 100% solar powered 2M repeater. It created both audio noise and AC ripple into the battery bank. When the wind was blowing and solar panels off line (i.e. winter nights) the repeater audio would pick up the AC ripple and it would sound like a ghost moaning in the background. The frequency of the sound would go up and down with the speed of the rotor.
  The audio noise could be heard from +350\' away in really windy conditions. The wind genny also vibrated the tower and it produced noise.

After one of our BIG storms over a year ago, it quit. Took it down and found two blades of the rotor were only held by one bolt. The carbon fiber blade snapped between the bolt holes. Also found one of the copper braids going to the brush assembly shorted to ground. Replaced all blades and awaiting some free time to reinstall.

73 de Kriss
KA1GJU
KD0FQX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:59:28 AM »

...and it would sound like a ghost moaning in the background.
--------------------------------------------
Somehow, that sounds like it would be cool.
K2FR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:23:12 AM »

...and it would sound like a ghost moaning in the background.

Might scare people off the repeater....  Lol
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »

You young whippersnappers should have been around during the era of windmills (for pumping water out of wells) and "wind chargers" that kept the old batteries charged for the household radio.
The windmills chugged, clanged, banged and whirred particularly when the wind changed direction and picked up.

Every thing old is new again.

Allen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: