Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 718 or Yaesu FT-450?  (Read 4374 times)
K5EXE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »

I think you'd better take advice from those who've owned both radios. I agree with the responder who mentioned that the 718 has a noisier receiver. The 450 is a quiet receiver -- I haven't had to use the DNR function yet. The 718 is a generation old, and it has older technology such as crystal filtering and AF DSP. In fact, I believe it's just been discontinued.

One primary advantage of the 450 is that it has IF DSP, which means you'll never need to buy any extra crystal filters. A flick of the knob and you've gone from wide to narrow filtering. And there's still an IF Shift control on top of that.

Since the 450 is much more state-of-the-art, it means there's more of a learning curve. But you can afford a few extra hours in this lifetime hobby.

So...having owned both, I recommend the FT450 hands down over the IC718!
W8RPE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »

I bought both of them new at about the same time.  after two weeks I put the 718 back in the box which is where it's been ever since.  
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 05:54:35 PM »

I have a 718.  I use it as a back-up radio.  That is all it's good for, unless you're a novice.
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »

I'm reading now that the 450AT Tuner won't tune a G5RV at 80 meters.

I was pretty much sold on the 450AT until I read this in two places. (one being Yaesu's website).

It seems the tuner can't handle a 3 to 1 match or more.

So, anybody have a good suggestion for another tuner for the 450?

thanks
KI4BDS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »

How about the FT-40? Might suit it better.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 12:59:29 AM »

I use an LDG Z-11 Pro with my FT-450.  It's compact, the batteries last a long time, and it'll match a _much_ wider range than the FT-450's built-in tuner.

The Z-11 Pro power rating is (I think) 125 watts.  I was using it to feed a 16' aluminum pole sticking out my balcony, and the tuner was able to match that on 40m.  

It will handle a G5RV without any problems.  You'll need a balun for a G5RV.  It's an unbalanced antenna, and it may give you "RF in the shack" grief without one.

Any of the autotuners by LDG or SGC should work fine.  CHeck the eHam reviews -- some are more loved than others.   Any of the MFJ manual tuners should work fine -- the "200 watt" models like the 901B will easily handle the FT-450's output.  

Charles

Charles
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 07:00:40 AM »

Keep in mind that Icom will be releasing the IC-7200 sometime soon. This appears to be an all DSP radio with twin passband tuning designed to compete with the FT-450. No idea what the price will be or if it will replace the 718.

Harry WE1X
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »

thanks to all who posted. I was headed to bed last night and found a Kenwood TS-570D on ebay and picked it up at a good price. I didn't expect my bid to take, but it was very late and I won.

thanks again.
K5PEW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »

Forgive my complete bias here, and it's not a brand thing.

I have looked extensively at the new radios in the $1500 and under price range.

My feeling is that if you love Icom, and have wanted a IC-718 for years, and it will make you feel fantastic to own one, then by all means buy it.

Short of that scenario, there is no comparison between the two radios.

The FT-450 is a brand new technology radio, incorporating tons of features not dreamed of when the IC-718 was designed.

Outside the giant list of features the FT has that the IC doesn't, I can also think of some more practical reasons for the FT-450 getting the nod.

1) The FT has 6 meters. Get a taste of 6 and you will want to have access to it frequently, I promise.

2) The FT can be run mobile after you get your "big radio".

3) If you don't dig mobile, you can work 6 meters and HF at the same time after you get your "big radio". If you like 6, you will want to have a radio running there all the time while you work HF on another radio.

4) With the FT, you don't need to buy filters. The 1.9K SSB and 500Hz CW filters for the IC will set you back $400 for the pair.

At Universal Radio ( http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0450.html ) you can get the FT-450 with the antenna tuner installed for $749.95.

The FT is kinda ugly, but somebody show me a better value under $800.

Graham Welch - K5PEW (In memory of Paisley Elizabeth Welch)
KI4BDS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »

I ended up with the IC 718 and it was an ideal radio. I Love the thing but traded for an IC 706 MKIIG and I also have a Yaesu FT-757GX. Thanks to all Karl
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »

The IC-718 has been around for a long time and lacks some of the features the newer FT-450 has. You can find one of these around today pretty cheap and you won't need to add much to it like the 718. Many have bought the FT-450 and upgraded already so there are many out there for sale. Also with the low ebb in the sunspots and propagation many new types have given up and left as they lack contacts at present.
If you can find one without a tuner it's even cheaper. I see them as cheap as the IC-718 used on a regular basis right now. I don't know what kind of an antenna you intend to run but know this. The internal tuners are only good for a typical 3 to 1 SWR and that's not much. Many new hams get the tuner thinking it will tune everything. Don't make that mistake. Just a quick look at AES shows you can save $100 on the new FT-450 without the tuner. If you need a tuner get an external unit as they will match much more.
And, like WB2WIK said, spend some good money on a good antenna. It's well worth the effort if you have somewhere to put one up properly.
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18:08 AM »

I've owned and used both extensively and sold the Icom 718 and still have the Yaesu ft-450.  The 450 is a runs circles around the ic-718.  I'm not at all brand loyal, I just look for the best bang for the buck and IMO the 450 delivers big time.  cheers.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: