Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Tech Licence  (Read 262 times)
SQ3RPM

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »

SQ3RPM
  I have a learning
disability and can
not pass the test.  
How can I get a
licence?
Thanks
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »

you learned enough to operate a computer, that will get you a US Tech class license.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »

How'd you get your Polish license?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:41:42 PM »

There are all kinds of accommodations for people with problems seeing, hearing , or writing . You MUST , however , be able to show that you are able to understand the questions and provide the answers yourself. You should contact the VE team you plan to test with , or the national office of any of the various VEC organizations.

Russ, W5RB
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 06:24:35 PM »

"How'd you get your Polish license? "

An eHam username is not necessarily a callsign.  

I think it's a coincidence.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 03:28:02 AM »

W5RB is correct.

I will couch my reply as a general reply, rules of countries in re to Amateur Radio vary country to country and any person making application should reference the rules of their particular country of testing.

In reference to the US...

W3RB is correct.  Any person with a disability wishing to take an amateur radio license should contact the VE Team before going to thake the test.  Certain preparations may need to be in place depending on the disability.  Most teams can easily set aside a couple of VEs to read the questions and answers and check off the appropriate answer as stated by the applicant.   The VE team should know of the particular disability so they can prepare.

However certain handicaps present a more unique situation depending on the nature of the test to be taken.  The VEC may have to send the VE Team a "Special" test so at to allow the person to take a written test.  This might mean a special schedule for a future test session.

So yes do indeed notify the VE Team in advance so they can take the proper steps to administer a test.  Please do not just show up and surprise them.  VE teams are not under normal circumstances prepared to administer anything but the standard test procedure sit a possible OK I will read the question and answers to you.  Anything beyond that will probably require a special test session and the acquisition of special testing materials.
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 04:51:25 AM »

I pulled my copy of the ARRL VEC manual (though, it's a bit old) and checked the sections about disability accommodations.  The VEC makes many suggestions about dealing with disabilities, such as reading or writing questions for applicants, etc.  It never suggests or implies that accommodations would ever include excusing testing.

The Tech test (and, the others, too) are really basic skills tests.  The questions are there to ensure that the applicant knows enough not to be dangerous or disruptive on-air.  That being the case, it would seem the test will always need to be taken and passed.  

The Americans With Disabilities Act requires reasonable accommodations be made.  But, the key word is reasonable.  If you have a concrete suggestion as to how your disability could be accommodated, it would be up to you to contact the VEC with proof of your issue and your suggestion (e.g., extra time for test-taking).  I am sure they will work with you as much as the rules allow.

Good luck.

Peter, N4LI
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:52:25 AM »

"requires reasonable accommodations be made"... both the FCC and VECs know about this phrase, and do make certain accommodations.
But also remember that as a "control operator" you are responsible for the proper operation of a transmitter, and know and have the ability to cease transmissions if there is a problem.
So while they may make "accommodations" for the test, they cannot "waive" the test.  You still have to pass it to be a "ham".
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: