Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HS Sidekick + 1996 chevy Tahoe  (Read 220 times)
N6JRZ

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:29:07 AM »

The best mounting position for the HS Sidekick motorized antenna can be placed where? I was thinking on the roof perma-mounted. Is this possible?
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:50:06 AM »

Electrically, its best mounted dead center in the roof.
Now, is that practical?  Probably not! (how high are the underpasses in your area?)
So decide how high you want your antenna, then look for mounting places.
73s.

-Mike.
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:10:22 AM »

As far as over passes go, they are high enough. The sidekick is the smallest of the mortorized antennas is why I have choosen to go with it. That or the little Tarheel. I want to be able to perma mount it on the roof but also want the feedline and what have you hidden. I am sure there is a way to do it however I just need to play around with it!!
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »

I wanted to a rear quarter panel body mount on my 2007 Tahoe using a High Sierra HS-1800, but I found out there was an inner and outer sheet metal shell, and no way to get in between them. Perhaps your 1996 is not designed like this.  I planned on using a Breedlove ball mount.  In roof mounting a Sidekick, I wouldn't worry about overpasses.  Out this way, it's low hanging tree limbs and branches.  When whips hit them, it's one thing.  With antenna bodies, it's another.
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »

I live in a heavily wooded area so trees are going to be more of an issue then overpasses. I have my SG 7900 mounted on the roof and it seems to do fine. I avoid the trees and branches as much as possible. If anyone has pictures of an HS Sidekick or Little Tarheel mounted on top of a Chevy Tahoe please let me know so I can get a rough idear of how to do it!!!

73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: