Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX windows -----  (Read 628 times)
NU0R

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »

OK, here is the deal. I lost my print out of the DX windows that I always kept by my rig. I wanted to do some research on DX windows to update my list and I found some rather odd surprises.

Upon looking at the ARRL Band Plan, I see reserved slots for just about every conceivable scenereo, from nets to digital operations.I had to laugh at the ARRL trying to reserve most of the bands for every possible special interest group.

What was notably absent was any slot for a DX window on 20 meters and certain other bands.

Apparently we are not all in agreement with the DX windows.

Not wishing to be rude I suppose the best thing for me to do is to just ask outright ---- Do we or do we not have DX windows and if so, what band and what freq. are set aside?

Is there a realistic band plan that I can print out?

Frankly, the ARRL band plan seems totally rediculous if you ever want to operate as an individual and not as a group.
K2FR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »

75/80 -- 3.790-3.800

60 meters - Channel 5 which i think is 5403.5 kHz USB

20 meters - 14.185 - 14.200

those are the areas I look for DX
KD5PME

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »

I am currently studying for my Extra license. The following is listed as DX windows and "Watering Holes" in the current ARRL Extra Class License Manual:

160 meters:  1.830-1.835
80 meters:   3.505
75 meters:   3.795-3.800
40 meters:   7.005 (CW)
20 meters:   14.005 and 14.020 (CW)
             14.190-200 (Phone)
15 meters:   21.005 and 21.020 (CW)
             21.195 and 21.295 (Phone)
10 meters:   28.495 (Phone)
6 meters:    50.100-130
2 meters:    144.200
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 02:12:07 PM »

Of course, calling a band segment a “DX Window” doesn’t mean that’s where all the DX is or is supposed to stay, nor does it mean it’s rude or illegal to work DX elsewhere in the band.  

DX windows increase the chance for making multiple contacts in a short time, and they are useful to those who use narrow bandwidth antennas.

But you may work DX anywhere inside the limits of your legal band and mode, even when they’re working split.  Just make sure you don’t interfere with people who are already on your transmit frequency.

I occasionally hear folks being chastised by non-Dxers who don’t know any better, telling them to go work in the window if they want to work DX.  This is silly.  If the frequency isn’t in use, you can speak with anyone, as long as you both are legally licensed to do so.  I also hear people engaged in long, drawn out conversations in the DX window, particularly on 80m.  This is poor operating practice if done during the evenings or early mornings.  The window is extremely narrow compared to the rest of the band and many hams, domestic and foreign, use it under very crowded conditions.  

Unlike FCC-specified mode/frequency allocations, the ARRL-designated windows are only suggestions.  Just like any other operating techniques, operators should practice what is legal, courteous and least likely to interfere whether in or out of an ARRL “window”.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 02:58:10 PM »

I believe the formalized (if that was ever the word) window on 160 has been dropped.

For years there was a pretty rigid DX window between 3790-3.800. That window has some teeth in it, a lot of guys with huge antennas and amps will get mad if you don't respect it during DX hours.

Ch. 5 on 60 Meters is a sort of DX window because it is about the only channel that is shared by most countries that have 60 meter authorization. You can't work DX on a channel that is only used in the U.S. It is more like a calling frequency. And local chat usually cedes the channel to DXers if the something rare appears.

Just about all of 20 phone is fair game for DX except for the SSTV around 14.230.

There are a lot of nuances that apply to "DX windows." For the beginner about the only fast rule is to be mindful of the 75 meter window.
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »

One minor correction to the comprehensive list above...

The "Window" on 6m (50 MHz), really only runs to 50.124.  50.125 is the domestic call channel, so not within the Window.

50.110 is the most commonly-used frequency, but it gets congested in a big opening.  Forward-thinking stations will camp out on other frequencies below .125.

Peter, N4LI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: