Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First, QRP mountaintop adventure with my FT-817.  (Read 416 times)
K2FR

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »

I woke up this morning, and felt the need to earn my day. I started out early and hiked hard. make it to the top in no time and hung around fooling with the equipment just kinda enjoying the view and playing with the radios.

I did not get as much time playing with them as I would have liked, but that's ok the PA qso party going on kinda had every frequency filled up, and I just decided to sit around and enjoy the view and not worry so much about calling CQ.

I absolutely CANNOT wait to do this again! Im looking forward to my next adventure

Video of the adventure =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kje8b6AyL0Q

Things ive learned from this trip.

Double.. then Triple check your supplies.. I got to the top of the mountain only to find I forgot a jumper cable for my tuner.   Scratch 1 Dipole I wanted to try.

Plan for the cold,  While I was sweating on the way up heavily.. once I hit the top and was in the clear.. BRRR the wind picked up and I was frozen. At that point, I wish I had worn the next layer.

It was epic fun! and am probably going to be doing this stuff for a long time to come

Till next time.

73's
Andrew
K2FR
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:21:07 PM »

well sat on a mountain top looking over the world.. It can't really get much better than that.

we have some breath taking scenery here in the uk which sadly lots of us take for granted with so many not realising and heading off abroad and missing the miracle that it truely is..

i operated portable from snowdonia national park a few months ago and didn't get much done as i was taken back by the view..

billy uk
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »

Ditto, yeah I do some hill topping here and aside from the work it has been very rewarding. I live in an apartment so...hill topping for me is hearing DX ahhhh. I have listened at home to some dead air or heard state side operators even locals within my town calling a station that I did not even realize was there lol. I have done the high, big mono bander thing so I understand why...but honestly It is like experiencing a fresh breath of air when I observe all the signals I typically can not hear from the indoor horizontal antenna that is low about 18 ft, perhaps some dx ability on 10M if the band ever opens well enough for me too. I use a vertical dipole with sloping elevated radials when upon the hill and Wow! The combination of low noise and decent clear pastuer and height well above the area is why the antenna is a good choice here.Smiley
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »

" I got to the top of the mountain only to find I forgot a jumper cable for my tuner."

Been there, done that, but luckly it was only a drive to a mountain top, not a hike.

Now before I go out mountain top or portable I put all the equipment on the kitchen table and phyically hook it up, making sure I have all jumpers/power cords/ adapters/mike/key, laptop, battery, etc.
Sounds a bit silly but haven't forgotten any essential kit since then.

A small tool kit comes in handy also. If you are on foot, Frye's and Harbor Freight offer small tool kits with pliers/cutters, screwdriver w/bits, small hex driver set, etc with a carry bag for $10-15. Yeah, they're cheesey quality pot-metal tools but will work in a pinch. And no big deal if you accidently leave a cheapo pair of dikes in the woods than a really nice pair.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: