Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 756proIII Vs Ten Tec omni VII  (Read 727 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:20:17 AM »

Just wnat your opinion on which one would be the best choice to buy
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:24:27 AM »

I've heard the Omni7...it sounds good.  Some people have had problems with RFI with this radio if the antennas are too close to the shack...apparently shuts itself down.  I have a PROII and PROIII and like the PROIII better.  If you want a spectrum scope get the PROIII.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:32:36 AM »

This depends on your interests, preferred modes of operation, etc!
Either way, both are fine rigs!
73s.

-Mike.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:14:46 AM »

K3
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »

I've used both.  They're both nice.  Neither are quite nice enough for me to trade up from my Omni VI.

The Icom is built like a piece of well-made consumer gear, think high-end Sony.  

The Omni VII isn't as spiffy looking on the outside, but on the inside it's built like a piece of industrial equipment or pro audio gear.  And it sounds much cleaner than the 756.  That shouldn't be surprising given TenTec's heritage.  It's founder also started one of the top pro audio companies (Electro-Voice).

Why not try the Omni VII?  TenTec will take it back anytime during the first 30 days and refund your money if you're not satisfied.  If you aren't happy with the Omni, you can buy one of the used PROIIIs that were traded-in on a TenTec rig from The Ham Station in Evansville, IN.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »

The first formal review of the OMNI-VII has appeared from ARRL in the July 2007 issue of QST. This is a superb review of this fantastic new radio and places the receiver performance far above comparably priced transceivers like the Yaesu FT-2000 and the Icom IC756ProIII ( found on the TenTec site)

But hey go read the reveiw your self and see what you think. i can say i know of 2 around my QTH and both buy's have run a full 1.5 KW and never had a RFI issue.

Making me thinking of saving the pocket change and getting one aswell. Allthough i keep my Jupiter still i am rather attached to it Smiley

Jeff
N9DG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:59:53 AM »

"If you want a spectrum scope get the PROIII"

Or if you want a true real-time, sensitive, scope and *simultaneous* waterfall display that can be *directly* manipulated, then the look at the Flex-5000's. None of the "in radio" bandscopes can touch what the Flex-5000 and PowerSDR can do today. And it is going to get even better in the future...
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »

I like the orion over the omni 7 as it has the second reciever inside which is great for contesting and dx. I enjoyed my 756, but like the orion better.
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »

Well if indeed you dont buy a new rig every year, I would gather what data you need.  Most important is to consider the man-machine interface -- yes the controls of the rig.  See which fits your operating style and interests.  Recently I got to operate a FT1000mp and an older IC756 at a high end station.  I preferred using the 'mp from an ease of use standpoint.  I do know an op who sold his IC756 to buy an Omni VII, and the the latters performance measures reported in QST are impressive.  But it is possible you may favor a different choice.  To do your homework, definitely read the QST reviews and also seek opportunities to use these rigs - maybe some will be used at a club field-day or other event near you.  
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:17:39 AM »

I think is very important, what you said but I dont know anybody around here who has either or, so I have to read form people who own both or either or their experience. I wnat to do SSB PSK31 and MARS with thsi righ most of the time
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:38:59 AM »

I have a Pro III and I really like it.  However, I will definitely be buying the Elecraft K3.  I don't really need another rig and I am not planning on replacing my Pro III but the K3 is a very nice radio and from what Sherwood Engineering says, a top performer on receive.

So, before you make your decision, look at the K3.
K2UBG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »

I had both radios and sold the pro3 because I wanted the remote control capabilities of the O-7. The kluge needed to control the pro3 remotely only seems to work when the stars align perfectly. I miss the dual receive and the panoromic display from the pro3 but not enough to go back to it. Also since becoming more adept on the O-7 I find the receiver is more operable with the different selectable IF bandwidths and the 500hz collins closes things down to where you are pretty much alone with who you are working on cw. I may try the 300hz though just to see how it works. I have received glowing audio reports on the O-7 from folks who heard a lot of me on the pro3 w/ Heil hc5 so all bases are covered. Not the flashiest philly but continually nice to ride. A serious keeper.

K2UBG
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 08:57:15 AM »

OR... Get a Yaesu FT 2000 and an SDR.(Or any one of several other transceivers linked to a panoramic display/ SDR )... You will have a fantasic panoramic display and a real knobs and switches radio. Then again , the subject at hand is Ten-Tec vs Icom . I side with the Ten-Tec for the great performance, substantial build quality and the superior long term support. Both are quite good and both are egonomically effective.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »

Forgive me for asking:

. . . If you're going to do mostly PSK31 and MARS,
. . . why not use a less-expensive rig?

In both cases, you _know_ what frequencies you'll be operating on, so a bandscope won't be really useful.

You'd want narrow filters for PSK31, but you can get those (down to about 50 Hz) in something as "low-end" as a Yaesu FT-950, or the new IC-7200.

Do you need super-fine IMD, and out-of-band signal blocking, numbers ?

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: