The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAZER ELEVATOR STUCK... PLEASE READ !!!!!!!  (Read 662 times)
W3BMW

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:34:41 PM »

Gentlemen,
I have already stated in my initial comment, that I THANKED everyone for their help and responses. I have ALSO STATED, I AM LEAVING THE TOWER and BEAM ALONE, as I am NOT STUPID, NOR SUICIDAL as some have indicated. If I do have a problem with it in the future, I may simply take out the holding bolts and give it a push. It will simply fall in a safe manner into a mangled mess.
I only paid $800 for it along with a A4S, A3WS, Create Rotor, and the 40ft w/Hazer. Not a bad deal if it lasts for even a few workable years.
Thanks again to the guys that offered their HONEST appraisals.
Best 73's
Ed-W3BMW
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:39:35 PM »

Ed,

I would still consider renting a boom or bucket truck that could reach the tower. :-)

Tom
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »

Ed...

I did give an honest attempt at alerting you to the very dangerous conditions presented by expecting 2x4 wood to stop a hazer/rotator/beam assembly from injuring you on the way down.

I apologize if you took offense at my somewhat graphic language, but my interest lay in getting your attention.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:09:03 AM »

Here is an article on the falling derrick method for lowering an aluminum tower.

http://n6rk.com/falling_derrick_gme/falling_derrick_gme.html

I've used this method.  It worked fine and was safe and did not require a bunch of people putting themselves at risk if the thing got out of control or something broke.

I used steel cable instead of rope, and a winch.  I did guy the derrick with rope.

73  W9OY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:42:44 AM »

My only concern would be that most tower base hinges are not rated to support tilting a tower that is loaded with antennas, masts, and rotors. I'd check the tower specs first.

The other issue is that **IF** the winch and cable used to pull the hazer up are still in place and tight then the hazer is not going to come crashing down the tower. Its still risky business to climb a tower even with a working hazer at the top. A bucket truck is a much safer way to deal with the stuck hazer.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 03:10:14 PM »

The simple solution is to use a sign crane with a grappling hook to hook the top of the tower and lift the tower and antenna assembly to the ground for repair.

I hope this illustrates one of the main problems with hazer assemblies. As an old tower dog, I have never looked at the hazer application as a safe alternative to just climbing a tower with proper equipment and procedures. No where in the commercial tower world that I am aware of are their hazer units in operation. If you need to run an antenna up and down use a crank up tower made by a reputable manufacture and don’t forget the tilt over option.

Fixed guyed towers at heights under 70 feet can be put up for under $1500 with all new hardware. It only takes a hour to put up a beam on top by a seasoned tower dog

Yes I know crank up towers are not cheep and many hams cannot afford one but what is your life worth.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 03:42:37 PM »

I was always concerned about the crank up towers as well. What happens if a cable breaks or something gets jammed or you don't keep things lubricated? I sure wouldn't want to climb an extended crank up tower. I guess in practice its not too big of an issue because lots of people have them.

I was also put off when I called a couple of crank up tower mfgs and they said the wind load specs were for a fully retracted tower.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »

hi,

after looking at the Hazer webpage, it appears
that all the weight of the Hazer and the load on it
is supported by the safety latch that engages on the
nearest brace on the tower.  The cable only holds the
load during lift and lowering.

Is this a good design ?