Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter halo antenna  (Read 3705 times)
W8ATA

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:22:21 PM »

It was at least 50 years ago that I had a Saturn 6M halo mounted with a bumper clamp on my old Chevy. I had a Gonset Communicator on the front seat between me and my girl friend. It aggravated her and she said it was her or the radio. I missed her for a while but got over it. That antenna and 5 watts was a blast in that great sunspot cycle.

Last Sunday at a hamfest in Ohio I picked up a great condition Saturn 6M halo for a few bucks. I want to use it for monitoring 6M band openings. There was no info or manual with it and a pretty thorough search on the web didn't turn up anything. Bama may have something but they are down for repairs for a while. Can anyone help me with the impedance matching on it. I vaguely recall using a Q section of coax. Some came with a matching transformer but I don't think mine did. Once I get the matching figured out I can handle the fine tuning of the capacitor washer with my MFJ-259. Better still if anyone has a manual for one of these and could scan it, my email is W8ATA@arrl.net.

Many thanks and 73,
Russ
N7IOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »

Hi Russ, Tom N1TQ just sold one last month here on eHam.  You might contact Tom to see who bought it and if you can get a copy of the manual from the new owner.  Tom's email is, n1tq@charter.net

I often look to see if someone has the item for sale that I need information about and then try to contact them, even on ebay.  

Al, n7ioh
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »

Try a PAR OA-50 from PAR Electronics.GREAT little antenna!Check out their eham feedback & read what others say about the antenna. }:>)

CLAYTON
W4KVW
KK7KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »

Maybe this will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMpPi8G2GDM
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 01:00:58 PM »

Why buy when you can build for cheap?

Check the below websites out:

http://www.eham.net/articles/4319

http://neasmn.org/squalo/squalo.htm

Both work pretty well and are cheap to build.
They are also fairly stout and can take some abuse.

73,  see you on 6!
       Cal  K4JSR
WB2LCW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »

I built a copper squalo from plans on the web and it tuned up beautifully! I was surfing and there are even better designs now out there.

I used it to work Scotland a few weeks ago from new york city.
I was running 100w and thru 100ft of rg58..
the antenna was at 16 feet and next to a large tulip tree!

By the way didnt the halo you have either tune up with a tunig capacitor or adjusting the end plate spacing?

73 mike
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:58:22 PM »

I don't have the answer, but I was also a fan of the Hi-Par Saturn 6, it was probably the best halo ever made.

I bought mine from "Henry Hi-Par" (I forgot his callsign and unfortunately he's been an SK for several years now) in Fitchburg, MA.  He used to make them in his barn, and I had a good visit with Henry when I picked up the antenna, back in about 1969.

Your story about the Gonset on the front seat almost drew a tear here.  My first 6m mobile rig was a Gonset-II (with the 6E5 tuning eye) borrowed from the local Civil Defense (RACES) group, of which I was a member.  Vibrator power supply for mobile work.  I wasn't old enough to drive then, and would beg my Dad to drive up to the local hilltop so I could "DX" on six, and sometimes he'd give in and do that.  

He'd get out of the car and hunt small game with a slingshot (and he was really good, and often got them) while I DXed on 6m AM.  Dad got a porcupine once while I was working 6m E-skip and we brought it home to make porcupine stew.  Not bad, if you've never tried it.

WB2WIK/6
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 06:37:53 PM »

Thanks so far for a few hints where I might find the info I am looking for on the Saturn 6M halo. I did watch the YouTube video which shows what looks like a matching coil. And Al I did email Tom, N1TQ. We'll see what that turns up. Steve your reply was special because part of what is behind getting this 50+ year old antenna back up and in use is the nostalgia behind it. It was great to relive some of that with you. It's like my Mosley TA-33 tri-bander which was documented by Gary at Mosley as being one of the first 50 Mosley made in the summer of 1957. I found it in a barn and rehabbed it in 2007 to celebrate my 50 years in ham radio. Steve do you recall what we called the Gonset Communicator II?  The "Yellow Gooney Bird", right?

Anyone else who has a clue where to find a manual for the Saturn 6M halo, I would appreciate hearing from you.

73 and thanks,
Russ
W8ATA
WA6HDZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »

I have one of these, I'll dig out the instruction sheet. I downloaded it from either BAMA or the old 6mt.com website.

The Saturn-6 antenna is matched with a quarter-wave section of 25 ohm line.  Don't worry, this is just two quarter wave lengths of 50 ohm line in parallel. Attach this at the terminals and connect your 50 ohm coax feedline at the other end. The antenna wants to see a metal pole holding it up.  EMT conduit works pretty well.
WA6HDZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »

try the download

http://6mt.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=62&Itemid=53
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »

Thanks Ken. I didn't find it on the old 6m site. BAMA is down for a while for repair. I'll put the coax section together and see how it does on the MFJ-259. If you do run across the old manual and can scan it my email is my call at ARRL.

Russ
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »

Thanks to Ken, WA6HZD in the previous post a pdf of the old Saturn 6 manual arrived today by email. Many thanks to Ken and others who took an interest in helping me find the manual.

73 to all,

Russ
KB9UMI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »

I Would also like 1 of these Antennas & a Manual too boot , I Try & make Most of My own Antennas even if its someone else  Design & have had great luck doing so !I Email Tom too see if I could get 1 Also a Copy Whatever.
KD0JCW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »

I have a Hi-PAR Halo with 3 rings got it in 1994 from a friend that went to all the Hamfest to sell things he didn't want it I needed it for my Yaesu FT-736r but I moved so much I forgot about it never used tell 2009 I broke it out of the shed. I can't put antennas outside so I got it in the bedroom on a camera tripod I have made a few contacts short 1s with the swr at 1:1:3 on the SSB side of the band. Not bad for a $5 antenna ugly looking my G/F said but it's not allways the looks that makes something good. Marvin KD0JCW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: