Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do CB'ers hate ham operators so much?  (Read 18607 times)
KG4WXP

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »

Where'd all this animosity originally start at?

How IGNORANT can people be?

Its obvious this CB'er doesn't know the first thing about hams or our kind of equipment but yet he wants to bad mouth it like he's a genius. And the guy can't even spell right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7dR9WbGJI

A little cobra radio is better than a ft 2000? riiiiiight.... what a jerk..

PS, there's a lot of bad words in the video....typical cb'erisms.
KB3SEA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »

Hmm, I don't know. I'm not going to look at the video (bad langauge and such) but I have noticed since I've been involved in the hobby, that there's a few hams, not many, but a few,  that have something against CBers. I don't know why. Most hams I know, including myself, got started on CB. They (some few hams) seem to think that that FCC license  makes them superior to CBers. Of course, there are some BAD CBers out there.... sounds like this guy on the video is one of them, but WHY can't CBers and hams all just get along?
KG4WXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:49:33 PM »

Well...the video got deleted, but the guy went on and on about how a cobra 19 is more tech savvy than any ham radio, all the knobs on our rigs are dumb, how cb'ers are professionals and hams are just jealous, and all kinds of stuff like how yagis have like 5 db gain while an "antron 99" has 60 db gain, and all sorts of other insanely stupid stuff.

Where do these people come from?
KF7EGG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »

Well, the video has been removed so I can't offer anything about specific comments he may have made.

I see more animosity toward the CB community from the ham community than the other way around. Much of that animosity comes from a HUGE number of CB operators who absolutely abuse the band. Many of those operators happen to be commercial operations such as truck stops, truck washes, and the occasional house of ill repute offering other services. These places often run with some amplification to ensure they can stomp on any other signal and get their advertisements out. Other things though are even worse and those are the operators who simply get their thrill from abusing others and using high power to do so.

Since the FCC has pretty much abandoned all enforcement of rules and regulations on the CB band, I tend to just leave it to rot.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »

I can’t speak for the CB crowd but Hams who have been in the Hobby for some time take a personal disliking when the CB crowd brings into the hobby very aberrant behavior, don’t give a hoot about traditions, operating procedure and the technical aspect of the hobby.

I notice especially on the general portion of the band a lot of jamming, rude behavior and general lack of curticy and this has been getting worse.

Nothing rankles me quicker when I ask for their name of the contact and they reply my FIRST PERSONAL IS…..just use plane language. If you want to enjoy ham radio leave the CB jargon back on 11 meters.

Ask what the antenna is and you get a Super Anton 99 and after much discussion you find out it’s a vertical.

Ten meters is especially frustrating. You have to pry out the station location, name and right after that the contact conversation stalls.

A huge portion of the hobby doesn’t want to learn the technical side and as a result they seem only interested in trying to work the other coast.

This is a social hobby with many aspects that are worth learning. Buy a handbook and start reading. It seems the instant gratification that is ramped in our society has creped into the hobby.

So often I see postings asking question that can be found with just a little bit if effort. Do a posting on E-Ham about a problem but don’t read the manual. Ask where to get a repair part but don’t call the manufacture.

And lastly I almost never hear of a new ham wanting to build anything, they spend $100 for a dipole that they could make in ten minuets.

This is going to be a fun rant.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »

Why worry about some nut's ranting?

Bob
AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 12:22:05 AM »

How does one YouTube video suddenly apply to all CB'ers?

With what monumental perversion of logic does your indignation at a YouTube video qualify as an eHam Elmer's Forum entry?

KG4WXP: "Where do these people come from?"

Funny ... I was just thinking the same thing.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:41:34 AM »

Quote: "I see more animosity toward the CB community from the ham community than the other way around."

Yep, I agree. There are FAR TOO MANY hams with the nose stuck up in the air feeling somehow "superior" who downgrade CB'ers than the other way around.

YES, There ARE lots of CBers who are not really on top of things and lots who violate. There are ALSO LOTS of General and above class hams who do the SAME thing!
Just take a listen on 75 meters any evening!

To those hams who just feel the need to run down others: STFU!
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »

Global Warming?
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 04:45:53 AM »

The Dunning-Kruger Effect.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect>
K9AMA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 04:55:00 AM »

Sounds like someone was trolling and got some big bites!  Ha!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 05:31:29 AM »

Hate to break it to you, but in my local area, the animosity goes both ways, though generally it's in the minority. There are a couple extra class hams here that wreak havic on the local CB channel, because they think they are some sort of cops or enforcers. Some of those CBers pour gas on the fire.

But most of them don't hate hams, as I am friends with them and they don't hate me. And I belong to the local radio club, and the members do not talk much about CBers. In fact, several are friends, too.

Bottom line, a few of the bad apples from each group, ruin the reputation for all of them.

BTW, by your post, I would saying you are one of those flame fanners, so you are not helping.
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 06:28:06 AM »

Well, I have been a very active Ham for nearly 50-years.  I have also been a CB'er for 50-Years.......

I guess that means I must HATE myself!!!

73's
Gary - W5GNB
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »

There is nothing fascinating about ignorance.  

At least, there shouldn't be anything to fascinate you there.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 07:14:23 AM »

From a very old timer's view, I cannot say that all CB'ers hate HAMS or that all HAMS hate CB'ers, but I will admit that sometimes that is the case.

First a bit of history........

The 11 meter CB band was originally a HAM band.  It was taken from HAMs by the FCC and given to the new CB radio service some 55 years ago.  Many old time HAMs never got over this, especially since the CB band became most everything EXCEPT what it was supposed to be.

27 MHz with its world wide propagation, was a very poor choice to provide local radio service for general "citizens", which was the original intent of 27 MHz CB. This is often what happens when a bunch of politicians make decisions without any technical knowledge of what they are doing.  27 MHz propagation is not always local - duh - and it did not take long for early CB'ers to notice this and start working DX (illegal), putting up towers higher than 20 feet (illegal), running much more power than 5 watts (illegal), operating without a license (illegal) etc etc.

A similar situation right under our collective HAM noses is BPL....and these same politicians want to run our health care system too?!?!?

What CB generally evolved into was chaos.  Back then HAMs had to really know and understand a lot of technical stuff in order to pass a HAM exam.  HAMs also had to learn the morse code.  Also just finding a place to take a HAM exam "back then" was not easy, unless you lived in a very big city.  When I took my general and advanced exams at age 19, I had to drive to Atlanta GA, some 500 miles round trip and spend the night.  This is not a "cut" on current licensees, but if you did not take a HAM exam before 1970, please don't take issue with that statement and / or compare "now" to "then".

I think what really irked HAMs was that CB'ers were doing most everything a HAM could do without going to the trouble to learn the morse code and find a place to take and then pass a HAM exam.  

The CB power level was and I think still is 5 watts.  Many (most) ran much more than that.  1000++ watts was not uncommon.  The CB amps often were of very poor quality and they splattered all over the place and caused undue TVI (which was often blamed on HAMs).  Most were grossly over-modulated which caused even more splatter.  TV channels 2 and 6 are in the second and third harmonic of 27 MHz and were often oblitterated by "dirty" CB amps.  Yes HAMs could cause TVI on these channels too when operating legally on 10 meters.

I think that the annimosity between the two groups evolved because of these and other factors.  I could go on and on, but probably nobody wants to read it and my fingers are getting tired.

Personally I do not feel that way, but many HAMs and CB'ers felt that way way "back then" and some still do.

Dick  AD4U
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: