Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do CB'ers hate ham operators so much?  (Read 18268 times)
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »

I dont hate CBer but i certainly do HATE like the "im holier than thou" mentallilty some hams have towards anyone that didnt pass the test the way they did! I have a guy near me that occasionally give me grief now and then whenever he sees me because he sees me as a "cheap cop out ham" because i passed the General at 5 WPM and he did the Extra at 20 WPM.  
I used to be a CB op back in the day and yes, i STILL OWN one to use on CH 38 LSB. There are still a lot of good CB ops around to talk to so i still talk to them. But i agree that new ops who come from CB to ham radio need to leave the CB terms of endearment on 11 meters.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 02:28:09 PM »

I dont hate CBer but i certainly do HATE like the "im holier than thou" mentallilty some hams have towards anyone that didnt pass the test the way they did! I have a guy near me that occasionally give me grief now and then whenever he sees me because he sees me as a "cheap cop out ham" because i passed the General at 5 WPM and he did the Extra at 20 WPM.  
I used to be a CB op back in the day and yes, i STILL OWN one to use on CH 38 LSB. There are still a lot of good CB ops around to talk to so i still talk to them. But i agree that new ops who come from CB to ham radio need to leave the CB terms of endearment on 11 meters.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 08:25:21 AM »

Perhaps an inferiority complex? Hams are human too so maybe our elmering spirit waivers with our mood, who knows too complex to pinpoint really. All radio operators should be united during these trying times 73
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 12:59:11 PM »

I think the CBers hating HAMs is just backlash from the 'brain proud' HAMs leaving an impression on the CBers.  And the general public in a lot of cases.

Come on, are we REALLY that dorky that we talk in public and in face to face conversations say such assinine things like 'Hi Hi'???  Or 'Fine Business'?  Or (fill in the blank, there's a LOT to choose from)?

Are we REALLY that dorky that we carry multiple HTs on our belts for a quick trip to the 7-11 for just a gallon of milk?

Are we REALLY that dorky that we get upset and tear into another customer at Radio Shack because they thought your antennas on your car were CB?

Are we REALLY that dorky that we make it a sport of showing off our incredible brains at Radio Shack and Walmart and have to put down the kid clerk at the counter because they don't have the exact cable or battery or whatever we want?

Are we REALLY that dorkey that...

Unfortunately, the answer is all too often YES!

Sometimes I feel some of us SHOULD be wearing propeller beanie caps...
KD0FQX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »

This thread has inspired me to get a CB.
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »

Its there smokey hunting,roger beeping echo chambers have warped there brain.I am surounded by them in Desoto,Missouri.Its hard to use 28mhz here.We have one that is running a 10 tranistor amp in his truck.And another that is running a 10 tube amp at home on 27.355 am....I wish someone would catch them,echo chambers and all.The are only in there in the evening,and late at night.The convert 10 mtr radios we would never think of using.AM/FM only.Well i fussed and feal better,73s de N0ZNA/JW
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »

Granted,there is a diffrence between am-ers and sidebanders on 11 mtrs.Sidebanders some work on there own equipment,and wire there own mics.A am-er knows nothing about anything other than how loud he is,and how much "swing" his amp has....We are plagled with the am swing in Desoto Missouri.They run all kinds of power,more than us hams do.I run only 40 to 50 wts on 28.420usb,and the cber down the road is running 1800wts on 27.355am.Go figure,i feel better,much better now.ANd alot better when Groundhog is 10-7  73s
KJ4CJV

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »

Why so much hate? I started on CB and not ashamed to say it but its funny how some of the HAMs bash the CB'ers and vice versa....its silly!

We all started somewhere, and none of us were born with schematics and a mic in our mouths! Why not praise god and uplift one another teach the CB'er about the HAM side of things many of them want to learn. Dont think your better because you operate a HAM radio and not a CB because in the end NONE OF IT MATTERS!!!!

J
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »

"Why so much hate? I started on CB and not ashamed to say it but its funny how some of the HAMs bash the CB'ers and vice versa....its silly!
"

KJ4CJV... some of it is silly and some of it is based on a difference in the kinds of things CBers and hams like to do.

The "outlaw" mindset is strong in the CB community, for example... freebanding is popular.  Of course, if you paint the entirety of any group with a broad brush you'll be wrong...  But "hobbyist CB" and "freeband" are not really very far apart as I saw it back when I was into CB.  There are a lot of people using modified radios with "extra channels."  And there are a lot of people staying on the legal 40 and using big power.  Of course, the laws regarding CB are extremely restrictive and also unenforced, so it's clear why this can happen...

Another thing that is an aspect of the CB radio that I left behind is that "keying down" on people is considered a standard practice thing to do. This is the thing I really got sick of.  It's considered great fun to cause harmful interference.  While that's fine if you like it, I don't, with the possible exception of a DX pileup ;-)

And a DX pileup isn't actually about keying over people... it's about getting around or through them using whatever means you have available ... guessing the frequency the DX is listening on... timing your calls just right.  Since the objective is to eventually hear the DX come back to you, you can't just sit there keyed down for an hour.

There are people who do that in ham radio, but they're essentially considered the worst of the worst by most of us.  "Jammer" is a very dirty word in ham radio.  But being able to be a good jammer is something to be proud of in the CB circles I was part of.  

To get the maximum ability to be LOUD, a lot of really terrible things are done to the radios too... things that are totally technically asinine but make a meter needle "swing" while ruining the proper operation of the radio.  A lot of the guys who do these modifications act like anyone who DOESN'T do the mod is just some kind of rule-abiding sheep who doesn't know how to get maximum performance out of their radio.

Again, this is not everyone.  There are some CBers who run their operation just like hams... talking to each other politely, going on DXpeditions, working DX... etc.

But there's this other part of the broader CB culture that's ALL about transmitting strength, not one bit about listening or good technical standards, is centered around intentional interference and breaking the rules.  And all those things are things that have a lot of potential to  ruin hams' radio activities if they leak into the ham bands.

The flip side hatred seems to be that CBer's think hams are "holier-than-thou" weenies that love to knuckle under to the FCC rules.. and indeed, some of us get VERY high and mighty about "THE LAW" and how "ALL CBers ARE ILLEGAL OPERATORS"

But this is kind of a stupid thing to get caught up about.  The law is basically nonexistent Re: CB in 2009, so getting all worked up about technical illegalities like "No DXing allowed on 27MHz" is kind of control freaky thing to do.

The fact of the matter on that point is that I'm very happy to operate my ham radio totally legally because the law as it applies to my radio activities lets me do everything I ever want to do.... so it's a different situation from the very restrictive CB rules that are basically "you can use this for personal and business local communications."  So for me to tell a CBer to "follow the law" would be a lot different in terms of the overall effect and consequences as the fact that I want to stay within the confines of my ham radio license.

I think the basic "fight" comes down to a couple of important cultural points that are just a massive disconnect between ham radio culture and CB culture.

Hams are rule-weenies who even have rules about which part of the bands they're allowed to talk in, and who think they're smarter than everyone just because they're hams.

CBers don't care about rules,  like to jam others' communications for fun, and who modify equipment into grotesque corruptions of properly functioning radio electronics.

I think if we just stay on our own "bands" (with the understanding that the CBers will use everything between 25 and 28MHz as "their band") I think we get along.

But ham "rule-weenieness" and "technical holiness" doesn't belong on the CB bands and CB garbage radios, horrible modulation, and key-down prowess don't belong on the ham bands.

And I think both groups worry a bit about the other group comin' 'round with those things in tow.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

Could it be that Cbers envy ham operators’ (sans CB roots) ability to spell and to manufacture a sensible, coherent paragraph?

Hmmm  Smiley

Phil C. Sr.
K4dpk
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »

I started on 11am also,didnt take me long to go ssb.I did that in 1975.Never went back to am.I cant handle the roger beeps and splatter of the AM world now days.Running a 10 mtr radio that is out of the box 300 wts with echo,roger beep and extra chanels up to 29mhz down to 25 mhz.Look at them on flea bay,or h and y electronics.Thats only one of them.I got my lic in 1993,and sometimes i go down on ssb to listen if there is a band opening.I still have the radio i ran on 11 ssb.But dont stay long,the cussing,and complaining.But thats in this area,not sure about the other area.Just chanel 35 am in Desoto Missouri.Just south of St.Louis Missouri.Most run Galaxys and connexs,and superstars.All export radios.73s
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 06:43:08 AM »

KJ4CJV writes: "We all started somewhere, and none of us were born with schematics and a mic in our mouths!"

That's true.

KJ4CJV: "Dont think your better because you operate a HAM radio and not a CB because in the end NONE OF IT MATTERS!!!!"

Yes, it does matter.

Amateur Radio has a long tradition and culture of operating within FCC rules - even rules we don't like. We're licensed, legal, and the vast majority of hams try to play fair.

Amateur radio is also an enormously varied activity. We have bands from MF to microwaves, Morse code, voice, image, data, RTTY and other modes, practically no channelization and we can build our own stuff LEGALLY. There are amateur satellites, hams on the space shuttle and space station, hams all over the world. Amateur Radio is as old as radio itself; it was not created by a government agency.

btw, it's "ham", not "HAM". It's not a proper name nor an acronym.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 07:39:17 AM »

Re EY is absolutely correct...

There is a vast difference between the CB person and the Amateur Radio Operator.

But first my disclaimer...hard to believe but there are some completely legal CB people out there who runs only legal power and does not have overheight antennas etc etc.  A few do exist.

BUT overall the big dogs of CB are definately NOT of the legal accord.  As EY correctly points out the big dogs of CB dont give a damn about their FCC Rules and Regs.

Now we have a few who just flat out say screw you to the the FCC Regs for Amateur Radio to be sure, they are far far fewer in numbers than the CB group.  

So yes they is a basic difference between the CB person and even the lowest amateur license holder.  The CB person did not have to work his/her butt off in study and taking a written test (plus a code test before the FCC Dropped CW).  The Amateur Radio license person did work their butt off and has a vested interest in OBEYING the rules weither they like them or not--the penalty being a severe financial fine PLUS the possibilty of getting your license that you worked so damn hard to earn jerked by the FCC.

Yes Virginia, EY is completely right.  There is a big damn diffference.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »

Re ZNA...

Re...

".But dont stay long,the cussing,and complaining"

Somethings never change, do they?Huh??
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »

I started out in radio as a CB'er but my curiosity
caused me to want to know HOW and WHY. So I learned
and adapted as did many of my CB friends. There are
bad apples in every barrel, even in Amateur Radio.
Why? We will never know, but often it has to do with
envy or low self-esteem. I personally wouldn't get my
panties in a wad over it. You can't change the world.

Tim WA4PTZ
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: