Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC 746 Pro  (Read 958 times)
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »

i dont think you can go wrong with the 746 series rig,or icoms for that matter.
 yaesu i feel is lower quality the last couple years,and there service record should shy people away.i talk to a few guys who have the ft950 series,and it always seems they are having noise issues,overloading,pulsing,static discharge issues,etc,etc,etc,yet the guys who live 2-40 miles away with the other brands dont have problems????i dont know.....seems like some errors in the rig to me.

so to the original post...
you can find a good used 746pro on qth,qrz,eham,etc,i think youd be very surprised on its performance.they can be had for under a 1000$us
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 11:19:28 PM »

For even less money you can get a good used Icom 756PRO, Now selling in the 900 dollar range, Or a 756PROII now selling for around 1200, Or the PROIII, Around 1400 and up.  All three have the GREAT spectrum scope, As already pointed out.

While the IC 746 does have a nice receiver, It does not have that real time spectrum scope like the 756PRO series does, AND be aware of the many many horror stories about the 746 transmitter, And other minor glitches!

Another great rig to consider is the Kenwood TS 2000, A true "do it all" radio, Including cross band repeat, VHF/UHF AND to HF!

Do read the reviews right here on Eham of any rig you consider.
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »

I own/have owned transceivers by Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu.  Although I have had good luck with these three manufacturers I must say that I am an Icom fan.

The Icom models I use/have used include he IC-706, IC-706MKIIG, IC-756ProII, IC-718, and IC-7000.  

I have only had two issues with Icom radios.  The original 706 blew a diode on the PA filter board while by mistake I was using the AT-180 to tune a 2 meter dipole on 6 meters.  Icom repaired the rig under warranty.  The 756ProII suffered from blown diodes in the receiver front end after a nearby lightning strike.  Icom repaired this issue at my expense.  Icom service is good in my opinion.

I operate the 706MKIIG, 756ProII, and the 7000 most of the time.  The 706 mobile, the 756 at my primary QTH, and the 7000 at my secondary QTH.  The radios serve me well, and I like the receiver in the 756 best.

As a back up and vhf/uhf work I use a Kenwood TS-2000.  I have not had any problems with it.  Both the 2000 and 756 are 7 to 8 years old.

I also owned a Yaesu FT-840 and 847 at one point in time.  They were reliable rigs, but I replaced them because I liked the features on the Kenwood and Icom radios better at that time.

I thought about acquiring a 746Pro some time ago, but I shied away from it because of the reliability problems quite a few owners reported.

Having said all of that, and making a long story longer, I will keep my 756ProII until it dies.  If it died today, I would seriously consider replacing it with a Yaesu FT-950.  Yaesu makes reliable products and I think the 950 is up to par with the 756 receiver wise.  Owners give it rave reviews. The fact that the radio is software upgradeable appeals to me.  It looks to be the best bang for my buck.  I would miss the band scope of my 756, but the IC-7600 that replaces the 756 series is a bit steep for my pocket book at the moment.

I have not owned nor used any Ten-Tec radios.  Maybe I'll give them a try some day.  Heck, FlexRadio looks tempting as well.

As always, your mileage may vary.

73, BJ
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 08:47:18 PM »

I've had my 746Pro for nearly 6 years, works perfectly, no problems at all. I take it to our group's field day every year, and it's very popular there, much easier for an operator to figure out that some of the more expensive Yaesu rigs. I originaly chose it after encounterd one at W6RO, the Queen Mary station, and was able to figure it out and make contacts on several bands without using the manual. Having 100W on 6m and 2m also makes it lots of fun in the VHF contests. and there are essentially no accessories to buy, so you won't be tempted by expensive aftermarket roofing filters and such. It just works! a great radio!
And - both key jacks and the headphone jack are full 1/4 inch diameter - you don't have to futz with tiny connectors. Watch for Icom day at your nearest ham store for super deals - but if there's a chance it will be out of stock by then, get one now!
W5DWH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »

I have had my 746 Pro for about 1.5 years. I have had no issues with the pa's or display.

My only comment would be is that it is sensitive to SWR. It starts reducing power at about 1.8:1 depending on the band.

I am happy with it and will keep it for many years.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: