Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Galaxy Saturn Radio  (Read 16253 times)
KD0IBG

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »

At a  pawn shop they have a Galaxy Saturn radio for sale for $395.00. They don't have the manual or a model #. Being a new ham and don't know much about radios. any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Richard ..KD0IBG
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »

You picked the wrong place to put this post, bud. Get ready for the snide remarks and verbal abuse from the OTers. You really should have posted this on a CB forum.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »

At a pawn shop they have a Galaxy Saturn radio for sale for $395.00.

Considering how close the $395 asking price is to a clean used entry level HF transceiver from Kenyaecom... I say let 'em sell it to a CB'er.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KD0IBG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:53:58 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I was missinformd. I,m not looking for a cb radio. Please be kind, I'm new at this. Sorry for taking up the space.
Richard ..KD0IBG
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »

Well, it was kind of a natural mistake, unless they saw the ham call signature. I think you'd do well to do a couple of things. One is educate yourself in the nature of various radios, past and present. Their features, etc. A good place to do that it is actually on the Universal Radio dealer site where, if you go into the online catalog to the HF transceiver section and look at what's new and then use the link at the bottom to Discontinued models to see what's you might run across used. It's not a bad place to look, since they're organized by maker, and you can see what they're talking about when they say things like, "...building on model (x)..." Another is the Reviews section of eHam, not taking all comments too seriously, but watching for concrete problems that consistently appear. Then, eBay will give you a general idea what some things have sold for used and near new. Not that I'd recommend a new operator buy there, but it gives some relative idea. I think you'll find that you can find a lot of good used mainstream amateur rigs in good condition for that $400, if that's your target price. Equipment has undergone some big changes since your novice days. You just need to get reoriented before looking to buy.

And, as always, the antenna isn't a big thing, it's almost the only thing. Unfortunately, it's also a market plagued by some terrible liars hyping their wonders. That's where you want to read ARRL's The Antenna Book for knowledge and the reviews, not for close comparisons, since a lot of it is folks rooting for what they own, but to detect the bogus junk.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »

A local ham had one of these. When I tried to talk to him on SSB, he was way off. They seem to drift like unanchored boats. I aligned it for him. He'll need another in a year or 2. They just do this.

Secondly, the person who said that you can get close to a nice entry level rig for $395, is right. And a superior one at that. The board inside is nothing more than a CB that is expanded for reach 10M. Filtering is crap.

Spend you money elsewhere.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 07:19:59 PM »

There are ONLY three valid companies that manufacture Amateur Radios.  

And Galaxy is definately NOT one of them.

Leave CB Trash on CB.

Do some research into the Big Three: Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom.  IF you dont have a lot of money to spend check out their line of entry level radios.  Prices vary so do your homework and check out the various established dealers of amateur radios.  NEVER BUY USED radios, you are only getting someones elses repair bills.  IF you think the radios are expensive you should see the factory repair bills.  NEW fresh out of the box radios have an invaluable commodity--A WARRANTY.

Expect to spend anywhere between 1200 to 2000 on your first station after all is said and done.  IF you think that is expensive, as you advance in licenses and experiences you will be spending a hell of a lot more than that on your station equipment.  

Amateur radio was never meant for poor people.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »

I was missinformd. I,m not looking for a cb radio.

The Galaxy, Ranger, Magnum, Uniden "10 Meter" radios address a niche market for freeband CB'ers with more money than brains. They're essentially re-programmed Australian CB's that cover 10 Meters and below.

This means a CB shop can legally sell them as an amateur radio. Which is convenient since an Australian CB has 3 dB more TX output than is legal in the US and for a modest fee the CB shop will offer to 'tune up' the rig. That's the code word for modifying the rig back to 11 Meters and disabling the modulation limiter. 25-ish watts PEP, 240 "channels", roger beep, echo, and it sounds really loud at the truck stop.

Woo-Hoo.

You can do much better....................

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »

Ten-Tec and Elecraft aren't "valid" Huh

Who Knew.

K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »

Here I am with a house full of invalid radios.

Damn.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 08:34:42 PM »

Richard....

Welcome to ham radio.  Don't let all the negative posts sway you from your goals.

You can get into viable operation less expensively than a few would have you believe.

One radio worth looking at is the Kenwood TS-430s, a very nice and functional 100 watt HF radio that is often available on the QTH.com used market.  You can get one of those for $300- $350.  Other Kenwoods, Like the TS-520, 530 are sometimes seen for the same amount or less.

The 430 requires a separate power supply, at a cost of maybe $125.  The 520 and 530 have built-in supplies.

The 430 is no-tune.  The 520 and 530 require tune-up whenever changing bands.  The 430 can be run mobile, while the others, well, maybe with some difficulty.

As is the case in most of life, the more you know about something before you jump in, the less it will cost.

Do some research on the radios mentioned.  

I use only Ten Tec and homebrew equipment, but you should study the market.  Look at Kenwood, Ten Tec, Yaesu and educate yourself.

My advice is to stay away from Icom because they are usually more difficult to repair, and save Elecraft (who make superb radios) until later when you're ready to invest more.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
GW0DIV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 12:40:35 PM »

In 27 years I've owned Yaesu, Kenwood/Trio, Ten Tec, Belcom, Sommerkamp and mostly Icoms. Got a '7400, 706 Mk2g and an E90 in the shack all second hand all perfect all bought for good prices and all bought from strangers. Only ever had one radio "go away for repair" and that was due to static taking out an EPROM on my TM G-707. Don't rule out second hand or eBay, but never spend more than you could afford to loose.

Rhys
GW0DIV
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 01:34:44 PM »

Re UP...

From a % of global market share/control the answer is a simple resounding ....NO.

IF these radios were medical diseases they would be considered "Orphan Diseases".
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 01:39:48 PM »

Ten-Tec and Elecraft aren't "valid" Huh

Who Knew.

Ok, so there's only twol
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 01:45:10 PM »

by K4DPK on October 29, 2009    
Don't let all the negative posts sway you from your goals.

Which negative comments were they?  With the exception that there are only 3 radio companies, I thought all the replies were decent and right. There many options for good radios out there.  A CB is not one of the them, but I understand that the original poster didn't know any better.  That is why he asked the question here.  We all live an learn.

73, Steve.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: