Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I Change My Call Sign  (Read 552 times)
KP2Z

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:09:14 AM »

I relocated from the U.S. Virgin Islands to Puerto Rico four months ago, and I'm undecided about changing my call sign. I don't care for having to add /kp4 after my call.

KP2Z
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:23:47 AM »

What's the matter with what you have now? I don't think you have to change, and you really don't need a suffix either. I live in NM, but I have a zero area call. No biggie. It'll just confuse the folks who are already confused. I'd keep it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:44:55 AM »

I would say "It depends" - If you are a casual operator, probably not. Expect to have to give your location early in the QSO as not to make some folks think they are "getting a new one" when maybe they are not.  But if you are contester, I would say yes.  You do not have the luxury of time during a contest to explain your location and MOST contesting software will automatically assign the VI country.  

My opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Clint - W5CPT - (in 4 land)
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »

Do you like your present call sign?

-Mike.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »

The rules don't say anything about adding the KP4, do they?  I'd say, if you like your present call sign, keep it. But, in the long run, the decision is yours.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 10:00:17 AM »

With the maze of calls today, half the folks you contact will probably think you are in New Jersey with your presnt call or Georgia if you get a PR call.
Allen
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »

Why sweat it at all....

Purchase or build one of those auto 10 min CW IDers and program your call with additions into it.  

Then just let the IDer take care of the ID for you.
KA2DDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 10:44:29 AM »

Use your regular call until you have the qso established. At that moment, add the "kp4".

Makes it easy.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 12:42:51 PM »

Why do you have to add portable at the end?....I don't.
KP2Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 05:07:39 PM »

Thanks guys for your input. Alan nothing wrong with what I have now. I like it Mike. Clint gave me some good practical advice. Allen's comment is funny enough, and the others offered good suggestions too.... Well, I decided tonight to get a PR. license for the following reasons. Even though I have changed my mailing address I was informed by the VI QSL Bureau manager that with my KP2Z call, cards will still go to her in the VI. I'm a casual OP and I prefer to get the bureau cards right here in PR. That will cause me to meet a local OM, not to mention save a few stamps. But the most important reason, at least in my eyes, is that I like to become associated with the local culture where ever I have lived. That's what I've did on St. John and St. Thomas for 32 years. So since I  plan on being in Puerto Rico till the last boat over the horizon I'll eat roasted pork instead of goat (as in the VI). My hesitation to change came about as I found out there are no 2x1 calls left. So I'll go back to a 2x2. Not a big thing.
Thanks again guys,
--3--/KP2Z
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 07:03:24 PM »

"My hesitation to change came about as I found out there are no 2x1 calls left."

What about NP3O? VanityHQ says it's available, the ULS agrees, and VHQ further says that no one has applied yet.

I know it's not a conventional KP4 call, but it is a legitimate Puerto Rico 2x1.
KP2Z

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 03:51:32 AM »

Steve, thanks for checking that out for me. I also visited VHQ and bookmarked it. Great resource! Last night I logged on to the FCC site and requested the call KP3TS. Those are my initials, and it sounds good on voice and cw too. Plus using one's initials seems to be in vogue. After all now, it is called a vanity call sign, hi hi. I'll keep checking the VHQ site to see when it comes up.

Thanks again for your help.

Tony KP2Z
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: