Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do i get smoke smell out of 811 amp??  (Read 1711 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 07:11:39 PM »

"bought a use damp". I give up what was the word?

The Syntax makes no since. If the word was dump the "a" a long way from the "u" on the key board.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 05:45:43 AM »

I suggested washing the amp, because typically EVERYTHING inside and outside the amp is covered with nicotine stains and tobacco residue.  When the rig is turned on and the "innards" heat up, the smell usually gets even worse.  Unless this residue is removed, (IMO) you never really get rid of the smell.  But then I am one who cannot stand even the slightest smell of tobacco smoke.

It is kinda like when you have noise on your receiver.  You can buy all kinds of noise blankers, noise reducers, noise eliminators, and external and internal noise abatement devices, but NOTHING works nearly as well as finding the source of the noise and getting rid of the noise at its source.

Ditto for nicotine and tobacco.

Like I said in my post, the dish washer is usually a last resort and is reserved for the nastiest.  Perhaps some of the other methods suggested will solve your problem.  I hope so, but if all else fails, wash it.

Dick  AD4U
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 05:50:32 AM »

the smoke smell is very weak,but noticable.not drastic as some might think.
 the covers,front, and internal components show no signs of smoke. looks almost new. i bought a crc brand electrical cleaner{safe on almost all components}.took cover off, then turned the amp upside down,sprayed the unit.the crap dripped out,and it was not bad. i let it sit a while,then took compressed air{40psi} and blew it dry. looks good. took it in,plugged it in and worked it. waaaaaayyyyy better. i think ill do the dryer sheet for a week or so also for peace of mind,and it will be good. i will definatly inquire next time regarding smoking,as this is my first equiptment ive bought used with a smoky odour.
thanks for the suggestions .
ve7ren brent
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 06:21:48 AM »

"bought a use damp". I give up what was the word?

The Syntax makes no since. If the word was dump the "a" a long way from the "u" on the key board.

"bought a used amp"

The space is misplaced and should have been easy to figure out...

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 06:44:24 AM »

BTW,

I use this stuff for restorations:

http://www.krudkutter.com/

It melts nicotine away. It's totally safe. remove the covers and place them on a towel, and spray this stuff liberally. Let it drip onto the towel, then rinse with water. That will get the smell and nicotine off of the covers at the very least.

This is amazing stuff.
K5ENA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 07:39:52 AM »

I bought a used FL-2100B that, obviously, had been owned by a smoker.  First couple of weeks of operation, the odor was pretty strong.  After that, the odor eventually went away.  I have not been able to detect any odor at all for the last 3 years.

Good luck,
John, K5ENA
KF5ELO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 08:44:48 AM »

Put your amp in a plastic garbage bag and put an open box of bakinking soda in the bag and about 5 fabric softener drier sheets in the bag. be careful not to get the baking soda in the amp. leave it in there for about 2 days and that should do the trick.

Tommy Dies
                   ratter23@suddenlink.net
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 10:56:16 AM »

"Bought a use damp" So he made a typo or a syntax error! I knew what he meant! Give the guy a break here. Geeez its not like some of you never make mistakes. Typical "Im holier than thou" ham superiority over someone that makes a simple mistake.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »

Sounds more to me like the typical bunch of hams without a sense of humor, for that is what the guy was after.  A laff.
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »

I thought the second poster was being funny. Lighten up.
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 10:05:45 PM »

tuck a couple sheets of BOUNCE in there.. that should do it.

kevin
k6rea
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: