Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2M/440 Recommendations  (Read 490 times)
KA4AQM

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:18:01 AM »

I've started shopping for dual band mobile rig..have always used ICOMs so kinda dumb on other models. Need recommendations..would prefer NO COOLING fan on heat sinks. Ideas? Thanks in advance for any and all inputs! KA4AQM
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:56:22 AM »

The first question is; how active is the 70cm band in your area? I bought a dual band Yaesu FT-7800R and I like the easy access to frequently used repeaters by push button. However, after installing the radio, I realized hardly anyone uses 440 in my area. It is so bad, the local ham club has wired their 2 meter repeater to the 70cm repeater for simulcast on both bands to boost traffic. You might want to make sure it is going to be worth your while before investing several hundred dollars in a radio you may soon outgrow.

If it was me and I had it to do over again, I would save more money and buy a Yaesu FT-857D. You get 2 meter and 70cm, with all the HF bands to boot. A much better mobile investment. If I can find a good used one cheap, I will buy it and sell the dual bander.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:04:56 AM »

Re Original poster...

Not sure why you have this anti heat sink and fan thing BUT do a google on Yaesu, Kenwood nd Icom and go to their web pages.

There are several VHF and Dual Band radios that use the case of the radio as the heat sink.  Prices vary with maker and model so research before you buy.

Keep in mind though that if you get one of these no heat sink models the case is going to get a bit warm so dont be surprised.

Either way, heat sink or not you will need some kind of space between the radio and whatever is around it for air flow to allow the heat to escape somewhere.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:05:01 AM »

Re Original poster...

Not sure why you have this anti heat sink and fan thing BUT do a google on Yaesu, Kenwood nd Icom and go to their web pages.

There are several VHF and Dual Band radios that use the case of the radio as the heat sink.  Prices vary with maker and model so research before you buy.

Keep in mind though that if you get one of these no heat sink models the case is going to get a bit warm so dont be surprised.

Either way, heat sink or not you will need some kind of space between the radio and whatever is around it for air flow to allow the heat to escape somewhere.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »

Re SDY...

I understand what you are saying--all you need in one radio--because I own the mobile base version of that same radio.

But what you have to also consider is that having one radio do all things you run the risk of having absolutely no radio should it have to be sent off for repairs.

This is where having that HF and VHF radio ability in two separate radios.  IF one breaks you at the very least still have the other to use.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »

That is true, if he has room for two radios, or more. These days, there is not much room inside these vehicles.  I am still looking for a good used 857D. I will take a chance on it going out. If he has a dual bander he is in the same boat with less fun. If I find one at a good price, I will sell him my dual bander, if he wants it.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »

The best deal today for a true dual band VHF/UHF radio is the Yaesu FT 8800. The 8800 is actually TWO radios in one box, Capable of cross band repeat, True dual receive VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF,  VHF/UHF, etc etc. AND they are tough. Check the reviews here on Eham.

The Yaesu FT 7800 is also a good working radio, For lots less money, BUT also lots less features.

(The Yaesu FT 8900 is also a fine working reliable radio, BUT it's memory channel management scheme is NOT good. The 8900 is very difficult to make operate as two different radios.)

I have been a real Icom fan in the past, But after the JUNK IC 2720H I bought, I jumped ship and went to Yaesu for dual band mobil radios and hand helds.
Current Icom dual band radios are overpriced junk.

DO go for a dual band radio. EVEN if there is not a lot of activity in your area on ham UHF, With a dual bander that can cross band repeat, You will find a new world of operating from a shirt pocket size hand held out THROUGH your mobil (or base) Plus being able to monitor local public safety UHF radios, GMRS, FRS etc.  (Also note that lots of hams have NO IDEA of how much UHF activity there is in the area because of crummy high loss coax feedline and poor antennas that are too low)

The Kenwood dual band radios (Besides being hard to program and operate) Seem to let the smoke out on a real regular basis when used for cross band repeat....
KD0FLE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 05:02:02 AM »

I would second K9KJM on the dual bander if you can do it.  I often work alone so I set my mobile to Xband (kenwood TMD710A) and carry my HT Yaesu VX7R.  Works out great.  So far the kenwood hasn't given the smoke puff of death Wink
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »

I have an old Alinco dual bander (605) and Diamond lip mount with a dual band antenna and it works extremely well in the Boston metro area in my Saturn Vue.  5/50 W on 2 meters and 5/35 on 70 cm. with no problems.  It has a good heat sink in the back, internal duplexer (just one antenna cable to worry about) and no fans.  Works as advetised with no overheating.

Simple radio.

Good luck from KA2UUP, Bert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: