Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: enclosure for small project  (Read 2009 times)
WS4T

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »

I've built a little PC/rig interface for my Yaesu FT-817. It's working fine on a breadboard, but now I want to rebuild it on a circuit board that will fit in an enclosure with all the right connectors.

Can anybody recommend a good source for project enclosures and matching circuit boards?

I've tried my local suppliers (I'm in Estonia at the moment) and am having trouble finding anything suitable.

I want to include the following connectors, so the enclosure will have to be big enough to handle them:
- 3 x 3.5 mm socket (to/from PC + CW input on rig)
- DB25 socket
- mini-DIN6 socket

Thanks,
Gary, WS4T/ES1WST
W0GLB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:28:34 AM »

See if you can find one of the old serial port switch boxes that used to be used to use a single printer on two PC's, or to switch other peripherals.  Nice size, likely has some of the hardware connectors you may need already installed, and usually available at Thrift stores for a buck or two.

Good luck and 73,
W0GLB Gordon
W0GLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »

Overlooked the part about the matching circuit board...still, those are good project enclosures.
WB2LCW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »

I have used small cookie and candy tin boxes..
They come in many sizes..like altoid tins etc.
They are easier to find in europe as many candy items
from europe come in metal tins

Good luck

mike
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »

I like to use discarded Dish Network boxes.   Just strip out the guts and you have a very good project box that even has a few handy holes driven for switches, LEDs and RF/Computer jacks.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »

For many years the traditional British enclosure for
homebrew projects was a tea tin.  I don't know if they
are still as common in the stores or if they have been
replaced by cardboard.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:45:37 PM »

Those little metal boxes that mints and candies are sold in, (one brand calls them, "Curiously Refreshing" there are many knockoffs around now) can make a great and inexpensive small project box.
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:50:48 PM »

I'm with Gordon - I've been collecting old serial/parallel switch boxes for projects.

--...MARK_N1LO...--
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 03:38:17 AM »

I think this is an interesting approach...

http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Wettbewerb2/Dieter-Tepel-Amp/Tepel-Amp.htm

BTW: A few months back I spied a 60 gig EIDE Maxtor hard drive at a local thrift shop being offered for a measly $5.00 or so. Bought it, let it sit around, finally poked at it this week. Passes diags but will not format or behave like a hard drive should.

Long story short, best guess is the drive came out of a TiVO, DVR, or similar and was intentionally configured as brain dead. Passworded, BIOS disabled, apparently the DVR box prefers dumb mode and right now the drive is REAL dumb. The password lock is also quite effective. I have two choices... $9.95 for a DIY recertify via a web based service - or - get handy with the command line sequence to unlock the drive and then run the mfr's zero-out-everything utility.

So... If you run across a drive that passes SMART diags but won't format, you may have a TiVO orphan just begging to become a project box.........

Never change a password on a Friday                
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 04:21:21 AM »

I don't know the nature of the PC interface on the 817, but my other older Yaesu rigs had an RS-232 interface so there was no level conversion necessary.  I built my interface into the plastic shell of the RS-232 connector, thus eliminating the need for other connectors.  You might not even need a circuit board - hot-melt glue is great for mounting components in small spaces.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 11:17:06 AM »

The question was for a source of project enclosures with **matching PC boards***.

This site offers both the enclosures and the PC boards specifically sized & drilled to fit into those enclosures. I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-21-4576-/21-4576

Good luck with your project!

73, Ken AD6KA
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »

Hi Ken,

Yes, exactly what I was looking for!

(Although I really appreciate all the other ideas too...)

Gary, WS4T
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: