Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Test  (Read 808 times)
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 06:34:33 PM »

1.  Depends on how well you understand the material.

2.  Study and understand

3.  Once.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
KB3HJK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »

Use a combination of books. Use the Gordon West for drilling and rapid memorization. It will be of huge help.

Use a good entry level book for the electronics. The ARRL books are ok, but there are better. I have a TI book called Basic Elecricity and DC circuits that might be the best entry level book ever written. Good luck finding it now, though, I used it in school back in the 80's. But there books out there that are better than the ARRL series. They are written with a committee voice and it comes through.

You need to UNDERSTAND the electronics portion of the test. Then you fly through it. The rest - just memorize and if interests you really learn it later (propogation, etc.).

Kevin
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »

K5END says "Physics is misunderstood. For some reason folks think it is harder than it is. I guess it is a fear factor.  Physics is simple."

I don't think I would say that physics is easy.  If you say it is easy and then someone struggles with it not figuring things out then they will think they are a dunce -- after all, it is supposed to be easy.

Well, physics is not easy.  When I was a freshman undergrad physics major there were about 120 physics majors in my freshman class.  My senior year in physics there were six of us who remained and graduated with our degrees in physics.  Not everyone thinks it is easy.

There are a lot of people who have trouble with the formulas but I think that rote memorization to pass the test is AOK.  We are not all meant to be physicists, or EEs or whatever.
NI3S

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »

A few things to consider:

You don't need 100% to pass, it's go or no-go.

There are only a few 'math/electronics formula' questions on the test.

Simple solutions work, without the need for a calculator and scratch paper.  

Now for more detail.

Let's say your test has 3 or 4 questions requiring mathematics and formulas to solve.  If you miss all of them but answer every other question correctly, you pass.  Yes, it's a surrender to the immediate problem, but still a solution.

If you take the online practice tests enough, you'll learn the answers.  Look for details that distinguish one question from another.  With enough memorization, you'll get half of the questions correct just from repetition.

Many of the calculation questions can be solved with simple math, antennas especially.  How long is a 1/4 wave antenna for the 14.xxMhz?  10m is 28Mhz, 20m is 14Mhz, so 20m ~ 60 feet, divided by 4, and the answer will be the only one close.  

Now, once you get your ticket and are interested in a particular type of operation, study it.  Learn the details of what you want to do.  That time will serve you better than time answering questions that .0453 seconds of a google search can answer.

I used this strategy to pass my Extra.  I know the electronics but not the ham specific stuff.
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »

KB3LTS has the right idea.

Just go see how you do, and if you fail, sit there and take it again.  And again.  You'll eventually guess enough of them right.  Why bother with studying this boring stuff.

No sweat.

Welcome to ham radio.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
KJ4PKO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »

I past!!!! I took the test today and past so now I have to get a HF rig.  Thanks for all of the help, 73 KJ4PKO.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »

Congrats.

I had either passed my Advanced or Extra before I tried VHF, 2 meters.  The last good use for 2 meters for me was a packet cluster for DX spotting.

Best from Tucson
Bob
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: