Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Glen Baxter K1MAN back on the air running a broadcast  (Read 29122 times)
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »

I use a TS-2000 with a TH-7A in Sky Command mode as I'm jogging to keep entertained.  Numerous times I've tuned into 14.275 just to hear Glenn taking phone calls from callers or doing interviews with somebody called "Rich".  I've had to shut down the link from the foul language that spews forth quite often. This isn't from the jammers either, it's from Glenns station as he's taking calls.  

Glenn is the sort that has a in your face attitude. Too bad hams like him are so predominate on the airways.  I'm in the process of thinning down my collection of radios due to my lack of interest caused by idiots like him.  I haven't decided if the last radio will get sold. There are still some avenues of ham radio that I enjoy that the jerks haven't made headway into.
WA1UFO

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 02:32:24 PM »

Anyone who suggests turning the vfo knob is an enabler of this miscreant. He is breaking the law! We are supposed to be a self policing radio service not enablers. Years ago, I called his call in line and got an add for his insurance business. He should be put in federal prison for years as I consider him to be an electronic terrorist-nothing less!!
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »

“Anyone who suggests turning the vfo knob is an enabler of this miscreant. He is breaking the law!”

Absolutely correct!!   It seems as the years go by I am turning the vfo knob more often and enjoying amateur radio less often.  I was lucky enough to get into the hobby when it was fun, during one of the best solar peaks and when it was rarely, if at all that you ran into one of the narcissistic performers like Glen Baxter who seem to everywhere and on every active band now.  The only band I use anymore is 17m.  Ironically, I also had a cb radio just before it went wild in the 70’s.  I recently bough a new cb, which now sits beside the FT-450, and listen a local group on ch. 37/lsb instead of the local 2m clubbers.  LOL…after 23 years holding an extra class license I’m actually starting to prefer the cb over amateur radio!     There will always be guys like GB around doing things like this to get the attention he obviously doesn’t get at home.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2009, 06:39:28 AM »

I never saw so many enemies of free speech gathered in one spot before.
KA9OKT

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2009, 07:58:06 AM »

It looks like you haven't had your license very long so might not remember some of the rules for operating an amateur radio station.

You might want to read up on FCC rules Part 97, but here are a few highlights:

97.101 (d) No amateur operator shall willfully or maliciously interfere with or cause interference to any radio communication or signal.

97.113 (b) An amateur station shall not engage in any form of broadcasting, nor may an amateur station transmit one-way communications except as specifically provided in these rules; nor shall an amateur station engage in any activity related to program production or news gathering for broadcasting purposes, except that communications directly related to the immediate safety of human life or the protection of property may be provided by amateur stations to broadcasters for dissemination to the public where no other means of communication is reasonably available before or at the time of the event.

There are others involved here too, but you can find them yourself here:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/

Free speech has nothing at all to do with this issue.

W1DQ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 08:48:20 AM »

In response to KA9OKT, your inference is that K1MAN is broadcasting and therefore is in violation of FCC Rules.  But you failed to consider the below FCC Part 97 articles that are also a part of any enforcement issue.  Part 97 rule changes would be required to eliminate the excessive transmissions of information bulletins.

The general public is not being targeted, only amateurs, plus the general public is not equipped to receive SSB transmissions on amateur bands; hence by FCC Part 97 definition, K1MAN is not broadcasting.

One-way transmissions of information bulletins are permitted as long as they consist of messages directed only to amateur operators consisting solely of subject matter of direct interest to the amateur service.  W1AW does this every day.  If any of K1MAN’s messages do not so consist, then it would be in violation, otherwise not.

K1MAN must not interfere with another but, if it begins at a time when the frequency is available, neither can another interfere with it.  

K1MAN cannot transmit continuously on one frequency, as that would constitute exclusive use of a frequency that is not permitted.

§97.3 Definitions.
(a) The definitions of terms used in Part 97 are:
   (10) Broadcasting. Transmissions intended for reception by the general public, either direct or relayed.

(26) Information bulletin. A message directed only to amateur operators consisting solely of subject matter of direct interest to the amateur service.

§97.101 General standards.
(b) Each station licensee and each control operator must cooperate in selecting transmitting channels and in making the most effective use of the amateur service frequencies. No frequency will be assigned for the exclusive use of any station.

§97.111 Authorized transmissions.
(b) In addition to one-way transmissions specifically authorized elsewhere in this Part, an amateur station may transmit the following types of one-way communications:
   (6) Transmissions necessary to disseminate information bulletins;
KA9OKT

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »

W1DQ:  

Great.  Why are people complaining then?  I'm glad to hear he is a law abiding ham following the Part 97 rules.
W1DQ

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »

KA9OKT

I fully agree that he is a nuisance, but the FCC has yet to agree and further their the rules permit it to happen.  Rather than just write about it on this forum, I have formally tried to change the rules. Read pages 22 to 24 of this rule making order:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-79A1.pdf
W1DQ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »

My previous posting needs correction.  I did not mean to infer that he is a nuisance, just that his information bulletins can be a nuisance (i.e. annoying).
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »

People are complaining because they have nothing better to do and grousing has become a part of life for them. In addition, they do not understand the principles of free speech, much less the FCC rules.
AE7Q

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 10:32:54 AM »

Those of you on the east coast might not remember what those of us on the west coast (especially So. Cal.) had to suffer through for years, with Mr. Jack Gerritsen (transitorily KG6IRO for about a month, until the FCC found out about his past history of interfering with police calls).

Mr. Gerritsen is now in a Federal prison.  It took the FCC (and the US DOJ) quite some time to get their ducks in order, but they did.  The prosecutor recommended four years;  the judge gave seven.  Of course, the fact that Gerritsen also had a past history of distributing flyers to jurors in the courthouse that encouraged jurors to exercise "jury nullification", just might have influenced the judge ...

The wheels of justice grind slowly, but they do grind, and when they do, woe to anyone who gets caught in them.

Mr. Gerritsen had a certain "looney tunes" aspect to him, but that didn't mitigate his sentence.  I suspect Mr. Baxter will get the same treatment.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 05:14:29 PM »

I don't think the jailing of a patriot handing out flyers  explaining jury nullification to jurors is a reason to rejoice. No matter who it is, or what he or she has done. It certainly displays a lack of knowledge about American history and how our nation was created.

Further, a person who is fixated on the behavior of others most likely has just as many mental problems, if not more, than the person they are obsessed with.
KB0PJR

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 09:10:05 PM »

I use this guy for propagation check...Kind of like WWV. He is always there.
KE7RFL

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »

"Mr. Gerritsen is now in a Federal prison. It took the FCC (and the US DOJ) quite some time to get their ducks in order, but they did. The prosecutor recommended four years; the judge gave seven. Of course, the fact that Gerritsen also had a past history of distributing flyers to jurors in the courthouse that encouraged jurors to exercise "jury nullification", just might have influenced the judge ... "
Yeah.. probably did... Nothing frightens the tyrants in black robes more than the thought of We, The People acting on the Founding Fathers admonition that begins with... "When in the course of human events..."
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »

Im suprised someone hasn't taken a pair of bolt cutters to his guy wires or attached a chain to the back of a pickup and taken his towers down. Or even stuck a pin in his coax. That what people used to do to miscreant CB ops in the 1970s.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: