Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS 2000 problem  (Read 5330 times)
KD8IMF

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2009, 10:24:01 AM »

My TS 2000 has a noise like static crashes or like turning a dirty AF Gain.Ihave put the rig on a battery with nuthing connected and still happening.I have it on every band.The main reciever had the noise but the sub reciever has no noise.My othere 2 rigs have nun of the same noise either.Had anyone else had this problem?
Not getting to far with kenwood so far but will keep trying.Just thinking someone here may have a clue.
Thanks all
Bob
N4WCQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »

The FET preamps fail quite often.  You may want to turn of the preamp and see if that makes any difference.
KB1NXL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »

You describe exactly what is wrong with my 3 year old TS-2000.  After about 4-5 minutes, the main receiver starts to crackle and pop as though someone is rapidly touching the center conductor of the coax to the ant input. Except there is no antenna in place!  All bands, all modes affected.  Sub receiver not affected.  I'm thinking it's fairly up in the chain, possibly the 1st IF transistor or IC.  Really maddening for me, as I was counting on the TS as my primary station.  The 'noise' level reaches S9+60Db (i.e., full deflection) on the meter.  I plan to take it to a local shop for diagnosis/repair.  For now I have both an Icom Pro II and a newer Yaesu FT-2000D to fill the gap.  VHF/UHF is covered by a Yaesu FT-7800.

KB1NXL
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »

Sounds like both of you are describing a leaky semiconductor junction somewhere in the signal path.  

Can of freeze spray, with little tube, short spritz on each transistor or ic starting at receive antenna and working towards the audio output section can often pinpoint the leaky device.  Cold makes it stop, a bit of heat (tip of soldering iron to case of device) can heat it back up a bit and make it leak and crackle again.  

When you located that device, replace it.
KD8IMF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:06:00 AM »

Thanks for replieing

I did some pluging and unpluging one plug seemed to not be seated.Then i thought of something else.i did the 60 meter mod when i first got the rig.where i took out the resistor had some resin smoke left on it.The dust collected on that little spot.I cleaned it up put the rig back together and it is working great now.So one of the 2 things did the job.
 Again thanks to all that replied.
Bob
KD8IMF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 07:13:14 AM »

Well I guess it is intermitent it is back.back to the drawing board.
F1RVC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:12:32 AM »

I, please  tell me if you found the problem. Exacly the same as my 2 years old TS2000X.
After 5 minutes , it start to do the same noise on every bands (main trx) from 1,8 MHz up to 1,2 GHz.

Help me if you or your local repairer  do something to fix the problem. Thanks and Happy new year
73'S Patrice F1RVC.
F1RVC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:12:57 AM »

I, please tell me if you found the problem. Exacly the same as my 2 years old TS2000X.
After 5 minutes , it start to do the same noise on every bands (main trx) from 1,8 MHz up to 1,2 GHz.

Help me if you or your local repairer do something to fix the problem. Thanks and Happy new year
73'S Patrice F1RVC.
KK5H

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

I have the exact same problems as all of the above hams.  with no antenna connected, and on battery power, the problem comes in with the radio on for a few minutes.  I have also had some of my "rag-chewer" friends tell me that my outgoing signal had some "rf problems" or "flat-topping".
AJ4TG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 02:26:34 PM »

Has anyone figured out anything new about this problem?  My TS-2000 has the same problem after about 2-3 minutes of warm-up.  The problem lasts about 4-5 minutes before clearing up.  The 'noise' is most pronounced on 2m FM, and can reach levels of S9+60.
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:30:14 AM »

Check out this video on Youtube, and a possible solution in the comment..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=419mv8LXNUU&feature=related

73 , William
ZS5WC / ZS4L
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »

kd6ym fix for  Crackly noisy RX TS 2000
      kd6yrn I have repaired two ts-2000's with this problem. In both I replaced CF1,CF2,and
      CF4 on TX-RX 1 UNIT (X57-605X-XX). CF1 and CF4 are part# L72-0984-05 CF2 is
      part # L72-0985-05 there´╗┐ are surface mount components close to these parts so be
      very careful. 5 months ago

I don't know how "findable" youtube comments are compared to eham.net forums , so here it is for posterity Smiley

N9XG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »

Thank you for posting this information. The repair worked for me, and saved me no end of time.

kd6yrn I have repaired two ts-2000's with this problem. In both I replaced CF1,CF2,and
      CF4 on TX-RX 1 UNIT (X57-605X-XX). CF1 and CF4 are part# L72-0984-05 CF2 is
      part # L72-0985-05 there´╗┐ are surface mount components close to these parts so be
      very careful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: