The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: signal lights for ares member's cars  (Read 49457 times)
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »

One more important point all LEOs in NJ are prohibited from having red/ blue or red & blue emergency lights in their personal vehicles unless they were an authorized member of a local fire department.
NJ firemen were routinely arrested when traveling thru Southern states for having blue lights. All fire department paid or volunteers are subject to local or State police permitting.
Bill, AA2UK
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:49:06 AM by AA2UK » Logged
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »

I recall when I worked driving a tow truck. We had the flashing lights. It seemed to me that they were for use when we were stopped alongside the road but they didn't seem to deter drunks that much. One evening three of us were driving up the San Diego freeway through the San Fernando Valley. We had radios and lights so we had to play at something right? We were driving in formations on command from our fearless leader. We'd line up in a lane and switch our lights off and on at the same time, we'd switch to a vee formation then change lanes in synch... there wasn't much traffic so it was all just harmless fun. So this couple drives up and starts making it really obvious that the passenger is writing down our license plates. We formed up one in front, one to the left side of their car and one at the rear. They were boxed. They moved over a lane, we moved over a lane. At that point they could continue to try to bust us for something or they could take an exit. They took an exit. By that time, after being outsmarted and outnumbered they had sense enough not to give us the upraised middle finger salute. They were such good sports that we felt obligated to observe a moment of radio silence in their honor.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2018, 06:41:58 AM »

Just the kind of whacker/operator that amateur radio needs! Here in the Peoples Republik of Northern Virginia, every swinging TDH has blinking red lights! Most times they just drive around with them on like they are important.

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Yesterday at 07:04:37 AM »

WHOOP! WHOOP!

Radio emergency, get out of my way!

"Discount at Fry's on rosin core solder, shoot to kill authorization is given".

It's a hobby. For that one day in fifteen years where you might actually be able to help (a little) during a genuine emergency it's just not worth the hassle of having flashing or revolving lights in your car.
-----------------
I was a paid emergency management professional for ten years. I really disliked having a light in my personal car and used it only once. When a volunteer would make that one of their first questions when joining I figured out that they were a loon and were not going to last. Thankfully the police background check filtered out many of those people.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Yesterday at 08:50:10 AM »

WHOOP! WHOOP!

Radio emergency, get out of my way!

"Discount at Fry's on rosin core solder, shoot to kill authorization is given".

It's a hobby. For that one day in fifteen years where you might actually be able to help (a little) during a genuine emergency it's just not worth the hassle of having flashing or revolving lights in your car.
-----------------
I was a paid emergency management professional for ten years. I really disliked having a light in my personal car and used it only once. When a volunteer would make that one of their first questions when joining I figured out that they were a loon and were not going to last. Thankfully the police background check filtered out many of those people.
Boy does this paint a great visual image! My company can take this to a new level with background sound!
We have an 8-Track tape with wonderful emergency "sound beds" mastered at 10%THD to compliment your outbound radio traffic. Here's what it includes:
Track 1 Sirens, lot's of sirens both electronic and mechanical. Complete with yelps, whoops, bull frog horns and skidding tires.
Track 2 Voice Command Traffic. Police chatter calling for Emergency Responders to use their cars for defense shields, calls for aid to officers, calls giving complete control to Responders as Police retreat!
Track 3 Voice calls for Medical Assist. Hospital chatter guiding Responders in field surgery of gunshot wounds and delivery of babies, etc.
Track 4 Your Call produced by Professional Announcers in Studio! Pileup conditions with static crashes and your call slicing through with perfect digital 5x9 clarity! Produced in four different octaves for the resonance you want!
Simply insert the tape and crank it up to 11 for perfect background level to "sweeten" your out bound traffic!

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Yesterday at 09:37:38 AM »

And maybe 1 day in 100 years when you would actually need lights and sirens. Most if not almost all emergencies where Hams are requested do not require these.

Since your lights and sirens have no legal authority to back them (except real actual first responders), and you could be held liable if there is any kind of incident caused by your use of them, seems rather silly to even own them. Unless you are a duly authorized person performing duties (real actual first responders), your looking for trouble and an accident waiting to happen.

FYI a real actual first responder would be police, fire departments, national guard units, coast guard units, paramedics, EMTs, and ambulances and probably a few other agencies (national, state, and local) that I didn't think of. But I highly doubt except for extreme emergencies or some activity that an agency of some type provides safety, Hams would not be included.

If you use them to "look cool", there is the door and don't bother coming back. I don't want to look like an idiot because your acting like an idiot.

73, Stan
Walk a mile in my shoes BEFORE you tell me how bad they are.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Yesterday at 04:07:47 PM »

Since your lights and sirens have no legal authority to back them (except real actual first responders), and you could be held liable if there is any kind of incident caused by your use of them, seems rather silly to even own them.

Totally clueless. I like clueless part about legal liability...... You need to limit your comments to things you might actually know about.

I have used amber rotating beacons and strobe type roof lights for over 30 years on winter plow trucks. (currently using a class 1 amber LED roof strobe) They do not give me the right away but they GREATLY improve my ability to be seen (stopped or moving) especially at night and in poor weather. I typically back in my long driveway when loaded with salt spreader on plow and I always light it up when I stop to back in so I can warn others at distance. I have crossed paths with police/sheriff/highway patrol combined likely over a thousand times over the years at all hours, all conditions and all locations and even when there has been level 2 travel bans and I have NEVER been stopped or questioned. Furthermore when you get into remote areas or areas around business after hours I think the visibility of lights gives you creditably because you would not light yourself up if you were up to something shady.   

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Yesterday at 09:44:25 PM »

Since your lights and sirens have no legal authority to back them (except real actual first responders), and you could be held liable if there is any kind of incident caused by your use of them, seems rather silly to even own them.

Totally clueless. I like clueless part about legal liability...... You need to limit your comments to things you might actually know about.

I have used amber rotating beacons and strobe type roof lights for over 30 years on winter plow trucks. (currently using a class 1 amber LED roof strobe) They do not give me the right away but they GREATLY improve my ability to be seen (stopped or moving) especially at night and in poor weather. I typically back in my long driveway when loaded with salt spreader on plow and I always light it up when I stop to back in so I can warn others at distance. I have crossed paths with police/sheriff/highway patrol combined likely over a thousand times over the years at all hours, all conditions and all locations and even when there has been level 2 travel bans and I have NEVER been stopped or questioned. Furthermore when you get into remote areas or areas around business after hours I think the visibility of lights gives you creditably because you would not light yourself up if you were up to something shady.   

Yes amber for caution...not red or blue or a combination. Hence the reference to real actual first responders. You really should pay attention to the entire context of a post, not 1 little piece. And besides, what legal authority do you gain with a amber caution light? Does it give you protection from a lawsuit if you cause an accident? Does that amber caution light relieve you of obeying any traffic laws? At least in Wisconsin the answer is no. As a matter of fact, even real actual first responders can be held accountable for their actions if their actions are deemed dangerous or reckless by law enforcement and/or the agency they are responding for.

Or are you claiming that driving your truck with a snow plow makes you a first responder? Here in Wisconsin if snow plowing and/or salting is needed on public roads for an emergency response, the municipality is called...not John and his pick up truck with a snow plow and a little salt spreader box on the back. And oh yea his blinking yellow light. Almost forgot that.

But then again maybe Ohio laws allow you to make that claim. I highly doubt it. It would be interesting to read what real actual first responders from Ohio and other states think. It would be nice to compare notes from other states.

Oh and by the way John, there are real actual first responders who have received traffic citations for improper use of their emergency lights and sirens. But then again, they are not using amber lights either. Again, you need to read and understand the entire context of the post. I clearly defined real actual first responders are. Not once did I mention snow plows or any other non first responder activity.

Shady? That would be an opinion on a case by case item. Never did I claim that the use of lights was shady. Maybe you are worried about being thought of as shady John. That's your own personal problem.

And before you say clueless, come on up and tell the fire chief here that I am. 25 years as a tanker driver for the fire department is better first responder qualifications then a private snow plow operator. Not to mention being the author of the SOP guidelines which has a section governing the use of emergency lights used by real actual first responders...not caution lights used by poor drivers so they don't get run into while plowing snow. And the training I was required to take as a fire apparatus operator to maintain my driver status as required by the state of Wisconsin which also covered proper use of emergency lights and sirens. Not to mention that this topic is also covered under basic firefighter classes also required by Wisconsin before you can be an actual firefighter.

Oh and guess what John, it is documented and on file as to my training. Have my 25 years of service certificate issued by the fire department hanging on my office wall. What certificate do you have for snow plowing John? Someone's bumper you ripped off their car with your plow and hung it in your garage? Couldn't resist that one.

John, you been silent a long time...why didn't you stay that way? The forum was so much better to visit. But then again your contention of safely running your portable generator in your garage in any conditions is still a classic. Or burning wires in place of fuses next to batteries...timeless humor. And the magic manure that only you can see in Xenia...amazing. Need me to add more? Or are you done now John?

OK time to spin the dial...

73, Stan
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Today at 09:40:03 AM »

And besides, what legal authority do you gain with a amber caution light? Does it give you protection from a lawsuit if you cause an accident? Does that amber caution light relieve you of obeying any traffic laws?

And exactly where did I say it gave me legal authority??? (you make it up as you go huh) It is ALL about increasing your visibility and also using common sense in traffic. One should never assume that ANY color light gives you right away automatically as there has been many serious accidents in my state alone (and they have been held liable many times too) over the years caused by first responders assume that lights are a magic shield when you have to depend on your eyes far more than lights when driving through traffic.

Time for some more FIB dribble....

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Today at 12:00:06 PM »

And exactly where did I say it gave me legal authority??? (you make it up as you go huh) It is ALL about increasing your visibility and also using common sense in traffic. One should never assume that ANY color light gives you right away automatically as there has been many serious accidents in my state alone (and they have been held liable many times too) over the years caused by first responders assume that lights are a magic shield when you have to depend on your eyes far more than lights when driving through traffic.

Time for some more FIB dribble....

My quote with highlighted clarifications. "And besides, what legal authority do you gain with a amber caution light? Does it give you protection from a lawsuit if you cause an accident? Does that amber caution light relieve you of obeying any traffic laws?"

You didn't say that. See it is not hard to verify facts. But that's why I asked the question, not a statement, to clarify your position. Can you see the question marks now? Instead of being so defensive, try understanding what you read before you respond. So the correct answer is none. And I agree with that answer. Was that so hard to say without personal attacks?

I agree, no color presumes anything automatically. Which is why I mentioned training. Didn't catch that either, eh? That's why I went out of my way to say that real actual first responders have received citations due to something they did wrong while using lights and sirens. Did you miss that too?

As to more FIB dribble, you brought it up and I responded. If you don't like getting responses, don't post things that generate responses. Not to mention know facts about what your saying first and maybe no response would have been needed. Actually I would have preferred the latter. But as most here know John, you argue for the sake of arguing. Then someone else has to set the facts straight and make it right again.

73, Stan
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: