The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Go-Box - Need TNC Radio?  (Read 929 times)
N4SRN

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:07:38 AM »

I’m looking to put together a EmComm Go-Box and wonder what thoughts are on a Kenwood TM-D710GA with integral TNC vs Yaesu FT-818 with an external sound card. Or other radio options to consider?

Bret/N4SRN

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:56:30 AM »

I’m looking to put together a EmComm Go-Box and wonder what thoughts are on a Kenwood TM-D710GA with integral TNC vs Yaesu FT-818 with an external sound card. Or other radio options to consider?

Bret/N4SRN

Bret

There are cost considerations, application considerations as well as power considerations. You mentioned a TNC, Is this for packet or APRS?

You can just buy a used TNC on eBay for under $50. Most stand alone TNC's have a mailbox function and some can operate remotely without being tied to a computer. In fact with most (non KISS) TNC's, you can send and receive with the computer off but the radio on.  Non Kiss TNC's can use any terminal program, no special host program needed and that means you can use an older computer running XP or earlier for Packet.  In addition you can use your computer for other things while your TNC is running or shut the computer off and your TNC will still operate.   

If you use a sound card instead of a stand alone TNC, you have to leave the computer on all the time thus tying up your computer and wasting power. You can't send and receive on packet without the computer running. You need a host program like AGWPE. Some have found that AGWPE isn't the easiest to set up and get running.

What about Kenwood TM-D710GA with integral TNC? At $539 http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=71450 , it's pretty steep compared to using an used inexpensive $75 two meter mobile rig and a $50 used TNC. There have been some who have said that Kenwood's built-in Tasco TNC's might have issues http://www.outpostpm.org/support.html .

Using an FT-818ND ($800) with a computer and external sound card ($50 to $100 ) would be a waste of money in my opinion because you can do packet radio far cheaper than that (as illustrated above). Another consideration is the FT-818ND's power, is six watts going to work for packet? Unless you are on top of a mountain with a directional yagi, you'll need more power than that. At least something in the range of 25 to 50 watts, again a good used 2 meter mobile rig would work fine.

Still another consideration is what are you going to power the computer, rig and TNC from? You can go mobile with it and use your vehicle's cigarette lighter/power accessory jack for 13.8 volts. Maybe some LiPo batteries with some decent current ratings.

Whatever you do, stay away from the MFJ-X or Coastal TNC's, those are KISS only TNC's that require a HOST program/software to operate. KISS modems while good for APRS, generally are not recommended for packet.

What antenna you going to use for packet? If you are out in a field with trees or in any area that has some kind of antenna support, then use a roll up j-pole antenna and attach it to some fishing line and get it high up in a tree using a sling shot.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:01:30 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KG7LEA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:05:54 AM »

I use both the 710's TNC and a sound card. The TNC will allow for faster speeds assuming the gateway allows it. Our local gateways will eventually bump the speeds up so I am glad I have the TNC.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »

My standard reply to a question like this is who are you going to be communicating with and what are their needs?  What modes they use dictate what goes out it the field with you. 
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »

Just getting started, having done a 1-day NH-ARES Workshop, I guess I’d opt for UHF/VHF as needed for local events.

Something like a 50W go-box with Kenwood TM-D710GA looks interesting http://commstogo.com/page_commBoxes.php

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
KG7LEA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 06:34:08 AM »

I use the built-in TNC for Winlink on the Kenwood TM-710G and it operates well without a separate device. It also allows for gateways with speeds faster that 1200. Naturally, the 710 is more expensive than its older brother the 71, but it has more features.

I also have a Signal Link sound card for Fldigi and to teach Signal Link for Winlink for those without a TNC. The Signal Link for Winlink requires another Windows application like Soundmodem so the process is not as simple as with a TNC.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:24:28 PM »

Right off reading the question, there are two possible radios listed. One had HF capability, the other not. They are two really different radios.

Do you need HF capability in your go box?

The D710 is a "full power" VHF/UHF radio at 50 watts. The 818 is what? 6 watts. The power difference may be a consideration.  If you need all bands like the FT818, maybe consider an FT-857D. All bands, all modes, 100 watts. I know it's an older model and I have one. I would suggest better defining the needs before you choose a radio.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: