Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Saves the Day Again  (Read 2380 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »

http://wp.rac.ca/ham-radio-saves-the-day-again-yukon-canada/

"The missing young man was found and all ended well.

This is the second time in as many months that amateur radio and in particular Y.A.R.A.’s members and infrastructure proved invaluable in an emergency situation."

Rick KK4GGL
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »

Ham Radio Saves the Day should be a new forum!
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »

Gee, I hate to split hairs (not really) but I do sort of have to point out that it's not actually indicated in the story that a ham operator, a SAR member that was ALSO a ham operator actually located the kid.  It says that he had another ham make a phone call.  Now, again not to be Captain Obvious, but the guy being interviewed was the head of the ham radio group.  I would assume that when given the chance to indicate that a ham found the boy, he would have.  Just saying.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 05:20:37 AM »

Gee, I hate to split hairs (not really) but I do sort of have to point out that it's not actually indicated in the story that a ham operator, a SAR member that was ALSO a ham operator actually located the kid.  It says that he had another ham make a phone call.  Now, again not to be Captain Obvious, but the guy being interviewed was the head of the ham radio group.  I would assume that when given the chance to indicate that a ham found the boy, he would have.  Just saying.

It is pointed out in the story that "The satellite phone that they were to use was not functioning so they had no way to call for assistance, additional resources or send status reports". And that Amateur Operators "were able to pass important traffic to/from the command center."

Rick KK4GGL
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »

It is pointed out in the story that "The satellite phone that they were to use was not functioning so they had no way to call for assistance, additional resources or send status reports". And that Amateur Operators "were able to pass important traffic to/from the command center."

Didn't they even need a Tower and Beam in an HOA neighborhood to do that?
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 02:56:32 AM »

The had a sat phone that didn't work and needed to call for assistance.... that CAN mean that they found him sure.  It can also mean that they got themselves lost and needed rescued themselves.  Of course the grand pooba hammie would never admit that their great communicator was lost and needed directions. 

Again, just making an observation.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 06:43:20 AM »

The had a sat phone that didn't work and needed to call for assistance.... that CAN mean that they found him sure.  It can also mean that they got themselves lost and needed rescued themselves.  Of course the grand pooba hammie would never admit that their great communicator was lost and needed directions. 

Again, just making an observation.

What are you observing?

Rick KK4GGL
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »

I am observing that the grand pooba hammie didn't clearly state that the kid would not have been found if it weren't for ham radio operators and that he was found by a ham, and he's a hero, and ham radio saves lives.  (Well it does actually because laughter is the best medicine). 

Again just  an observation.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »

I am observing that the grand pooba hammie didn't clearly state that the kid would not have been found if it weren't for ham radio operators and that he was found by a ham, and he's a hero, and ham radio saves lives.  (Well it does actually because laughter is the best medicine). 

Again just  an observation.

What's your problem?

Rick KK4GGL
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »

Perhaps the OP forgot to type in "Assistance" between Radio and Saves, then there would be no problem or needed observations.
W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »

They probably didn't know how to use the SAT Phone ...  Huh
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:04:23 PM »

His remains would no doubt been located but thanks to Amateur Radio he was found alive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: