Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDS Emergency Radio "ERC" Nets  (Read 455 times)
KF7VXA

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »

The area I live in has a large LDS population. The LDS Church has been having a huge push to get their church members licensed as Ham Radio Operators for their "ERC" Net (Emergency Radio Communications). Their primary function is to keep church officials informed, checking on their churches, store houses and church members and then getting and organizing any help needed.
From what I hear, there is a nation wide push for the "ERC" nets.
Many of the newly licensed amateurs are also getting involved in ARES/Races. A good number will just choose to be involved in church related activity, others are intent on doing both.
I'm not LDS, but do work with the people in their ERC net. While their priority's may be more church oriented, many will also help with Ares/Races.
This is something that they are spreading from area to area, not just in my part of the world.
They hold weekend training sessions in all types of amateur type communications, mainly voice and digital.
They have got a large number of people here licensed. Most get their Tech and/or General licenses, but some have also formed GMRS nets with the help of a couple very good GMRS repeaters. Most of the people who have got their amateur licenses also get their GMRS licenses.
Our radio club group is putting up a new Yaesu Fusion repeater next to the other existing repeaters as the others are owned by people in the LDS church and we want to be sure to have our own repeater for club business as well as Ares/Races use.
Many areas have multiple repeaters, owned by a variety of people or Ares/Races/Clubs. In our case, most are operated by LDS church members, so we wanted to insure we had a separate repeater for just our club and Ares/Races.
If you are in a smaller area, it may be a good idea to find out who has control of your local repeaters as one's owed by LDS church members may be used in emergency's for church business and having to share could cause problems.
We have a good working relationship with the ERC net, which I feel benefits all. They have been very receptive to people who are not church members.
Our ARES/Races groups have seen this as an opportunity to have additional help if the time comes when it may be needed.
There is cooperation between both groups.
Although their main mission may be the Church as a whole, many will also be an asset if needed to the Ares/Races nets.
They hold training after their weekly nets to try and get their people trained in handling emergency nets.
I have seen a mix of some who are licensed and not really quite up to speed on EMCOMM, but many others are.
If you have a LDS "ERC" net in your area, it might be worth seeing if they could be an asset to your Ares/Races groups.
There is no formal agreement between the two groups, and each area will have to judge if the two groups will be an asset to each other.
Just something to know and think about.

73's John
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:50:27 PM by KF7VXA » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:21:08 PM »

Your post is almost unreadable.  It appears in a scrolling window that is smaller than the height of a single line.

Are you using some program for text editing/composing other than the native eHam program?
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:29:29 PM »

Your post is almost unreadable.  It appears in a scrolling window that is smaller than the height of a single line.

Are you using some program for text editing/composing other than the native eHam program?

It reads fine for me.  I use Win7 and the latest version of IE. 

Glad to see more folks, especially those as organized as the LDS, are getting into emcomm.  The more the merrier!

Rick
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:33:20 PM »

The "ERC" program has been adding a lot of new hams to the rolls. Most seem to be in their 40's or 50's, some older, but some younger one's are getting involved also. With the median age of a radio amateur well into the 60's, we need to add all the younger crowd we can.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: