Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gel Cell/Battery box venting  (Read 5767 times)
KD5ZVV

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2004, 01:33:58 AM »

I am in the process of converting a surplus ammo can to serve as a portable battery box with power outlets for emergency back up power use.  I haven't seen it specifically mentioned anywhere, but do I need to provide a method of venting the box since I am using a sealed AGM UPS-type battery?  I know other types of batteries need some airflow to dissipate the hydrogen gas.
KI4BUM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 11:55:08 AM »

now dont take my word on it but I believe I read that if your sealed battery vents you just destroyed it.

Note: In a UPS there is no vent. (at least in mine)
N3SKO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 12:42:05 PM »

AGM batteries should not outgas unless they are mistreated (like over-charging).  They use recombinant cells, but there is a pressure-relief valve on them to prevent explosions if you over-charge them.
KD5ZVV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 12:26:00 AM »

I think I'll add some air holes just to be on the safe side.
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 09:21:02 AM »

Open the lid either when operating equipment, or charging.
SSBDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 01:48:14 PM »

IF you are going to alot of trouble fabing a box, I would make it so other battery types, like the common lead acid batteries, will fit.  I have had very bad luck with gel batteries.  They will blow with the slightest deviation from charging requirements.  The  venting marine type battery will take much more abuse than gel cells.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »

I would keep the water-tight box sealed. Neither AGM nor gel batteries vent any gas in normal use. Wet cells create explosive hydrogen gas during charging and THAT requires ventilation. As long as you have some over-current protection in your battery gas, your gel or AGM type batteries will have no problem, and keeping moisture OUT will probably be more important than any thoughts of ventilation.

If you wanted to open the lid in order to "vent" them during charging, that couldn't hurt, it might help to keep them cool--which is good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: