Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amber Alerts by individuals and on .52  (Read 1095 times)
KG4YJR

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2004, 12:38:33 PM »

My heart really goes out to the family of Carlie Brucia and to the child herself that was kidnapped and murdered this week here in Florida. I hope justice will come down hard and swift on the accused murderer. I've read in several posts that several clubs use their repeater systems to broadcast these alerts and I think it's a very good idea, especially with the coverage of linked repeaters and that the majority of traffic, at least in this county seems to be from individuals that are mobile and in many different locations. If it isn't a part of your club's procedures just do it on your own. It's considered emergency traffic and I don't think anyone can argue with that. From now on as soon as I hear of any event in the southeast and once I get enough information that's what I plan on doing myself along with passing the message on 146.52 simplex.

Thanks for reading this everyone.
Dave
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 06:10:07 PM »

By all means those alerts should be issued and anyone seeing anything should report it, just don't cross the line and try to do what the proper trained authorities should be doing.  Our participation should be limited to observing and reporting--and going no further unless specifically instructed to do so by those authorities.
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 06:46:33 PM »

I agree Chris, nobody should take things into their own hands unless there was no other option. For instance if I saw somebody attack someone else with a knife, my own personal morals and ethics would not allow me to just call for help and do nothing else but wait until it arrived. My main message is just getting more eyes and ears focused on finding the kids.

Thanks for your input and 73
Dave
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 05:56:13 PM »

>>>It's considered emergency traffic and I don't think anyone can argue with that.<<<

Agreed whole heartedly,

My perspective is this;

We are all representives of the Amateur Radio Service -

We provide assistance to communities in need -

Our children's safety is our priority -

I would rather "act" than do nothing at all.

Do we wait for our radio clubs to act and respond? or will it be too late?

What we need here is a predetermined club protocal for individual members of a club repeater to have the capability to announce Amber Alerts with a "preaproval" policy in place.

This policy should be the exception to the general rules.

Charles - KC8VWM
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 06:03:53 PM »

>>>Our participation should be limited to observing and reporting-<<<

This would be similar in context to broadcasting Amber Alerts that are reported on overhead traffic signs to alert the public in general.

Amateur Radio repeaters could be utilized as an extension of that flashing "electronic traffic sign"

The more eyes that are aware and observing for unusual activity in the community, the better the chances of survival for the victim involved.

Charles - KC8VWM
KG4HLZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 12:34:13 PM »

I agree with Dave. Please refer to my earlier post *Georgia Amber Alert* New System.

I think that a formal system should be set up to get the message out. The technology exists to move the information quickly throughout the effected regions. This will get more eyes and ears out there. If it involves an active response for Hams then it needs to be organized through an official organization.

I will always recommend that the time to volunteer is BEFORE anything happens. The main enemy in an emergency response is disorder. Well meaning but unprepared volunteers showing up are usually part of this problem. I think that volunteering for Hams is a responsibility and not just a good deed. This responsibility should include taking the time to get organized and coordinated with a served professional emergency services organization. Trained volunteers are thought to not self deploy.

Please refer to FEMA course IS-422 "Developing and Managing Volunteers"
http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is244.asp

Bruce
KG4HLZ
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 07:34:09 PM »

After a short discussion with my club's president and throwing a few ideas back and forth we thought that the best thing to do is keep it unofficial, like having only one person in charge of the announcements and get the whole club involved with it. We're still going to bring it up at the next club to get the message into everyone's minds and get some input from the ARES members in our club too.
In the meantime I've subscribed to an Amber Alert email notification list at:
http://www.amberalertsonline.net/
I also listen to news talk radio all day long at work so as soon as I hear anything in the southeast region I'll probably get on all the local repeaters and on .52 with a "QST, QST, KG4YJR with an emergency message", give out the type of emergency, a brief description of all the information I have and where to get more detailed information like the website above or to turn on the television or radio. Also I'll say when I'll be back on like maybe the top of every hour with newer information or just a repeat of the previous message.
Any other thoughts?

Dave, KG4YJR
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 11:11:15 AM »

I agree with you Dave, everyone has moral obligations to help people in dangerous situations if we can.  I didn't mean not to.  As far as the Amber Alert system is concerned, it is too easy for the authorities to be confused concerning potential abductions or harm to minors, we may find ourselves in custody and charged if we stick our noses in inappropriately.

We should do all we can, but we must watch ourselves as well.  Remember that nowadays the wrongdoers have more rights than the average citizens do.

As far as a nationwide or even a wide ranging system in the amateur ranks is concerned, that may be way too much to even attempt.  We amateurs can't even get together and agree on the best course for the amateur service for the future, let alone trying to set up something like an amateur "Amber Alert" system.
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 02:59:42 PM »

>>Remember that nowadays the wrongdoers have more rights than the average citizens do.<<

You got that right Chris. When discussing subjects like this among my peers everyone seems shocked that this stuff never happened when we were kids. We used to run the neighborhood and didn't come home until dark. Everyone thinks society has changed and I agree  but not in the same way most people do. Back then criminals faced severe consequences for their crimes and they knew it. An effective deterrent in any society but now the judicial system is geared primarily to find out why the person committed the crime or what can we blame his crime on instead of the priority being punishment for committing the crime.

Dave
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 09:57:23 PM »

Here in NC, AMBER alerts are put out by the NC
Div of Emergency Management and are
rebroadcast by radio and TV stations.
The Div of Highways puts them on signs
on the major roads.

I do NOT see a personal liability issue here,
if one puts out the alert as received.

This is not legal advice, as I'm not a
lawyer and I don't play one on ATV, just
common sense from an ole retired cop.

73 de Ronnie
WA6HYQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 09:33:14 PM »

I think it's important to provide more eyes and ears in the support of any Official Amber program. We must be careful not to put information out that is NOT confirmed by Law Enforcement or Emergency Services personnel. Many years ago while working an incident here in San Diego as a County RACES member I placed a call into the EOC via a local two-meter repeater asking about the integrity of a local Dam during activation. This was a legitimate question as I was only repeating what I had received. However the Official who passed the information through me had not confirmed the subject and my inquiry over an open channel caused a tremendous stir of activity and hours of checking to finally put to rest there was no threat to local residences below the dam.

I'm a father of three daughters and I know that I would use any means at my disposal to locate one of my children. We as “Non-Paid Professionals” a.k.a. Volunteers to government have a responsibility not only to the sponsoring agency but also to the family, and ourselves to be completely accurate when we take action that could disseminate inaccurate information. Ultimately if we pass information that's not accurate the suspects could escape and a life may be loss because we acted without confirmation or authentication of our information.

I have served as a Non-Paid Communications Professional, Reserve Deputy Sheriff, worked as a Communications Dispatcher in a 911 Center and for the past 16 years have worked for the State of California in the Office of Emergency Services as a Regional Communications Coordinator. One program I’ve worked on and with is the Amber program here in Southern California. Amateur Radio can play a huge part in any emergency communications system such as Emergency Alert System, Amber, Mutual Aid Communications and it goes on. Bottom line is accuracy, training and having a willingness to serve. During large major events Amateur Radio usually raises to the call. Sometimes those serving are confused or become frustrated because they feel their personal services are not being used. To that Coordination is the key, pre-registration with a local government or public service agency is vital if we are to manage the valuable resource Amateur Radio offers in response to any emergency such as a 9/11 event or something a localized as a child missing from a local play yard.

73’s,

John.
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 01:11:26 PM »

I'm very sad and disappointed that Amber Alerts Online's (http://www.amberalertsonline.net) email notification is not very effective. I've received no Amber Alerts since signing up for it yet I still hear about them on the public radio and television. The actual sight does have current information but the email alert subscription service is a dud.
Also, at my most recent club meeting (NOFARS - www.nofars.org) it was discussed that at the top of every hour anyone and everyone that had any type of emergency or otherwise important public information should put the information they had out on the club's repeater.
Jacksonville, FL, 146.700mhz (127.3 ctcss) W4IZ

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: