Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Requirements and flexibility in training  (Read 639 times)
KB3KOH

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2004, 07:04:47 PM »

Truer words haven't been spoken. I for one believe that not only do you have to have a commitment to EMCOMM but you have to love it to. It shouldn’t just end with getting your ARES card taking training courses getting involved in drill's and even weekly ARES net's show your commitment.

Tom  KB3KOH
W0IPL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 08:08:36 PM »

In the mediocrity topic there were several points made that seem to be getting lost in the sheer volume of input so I decided to split out a few of them.

Hobby vs Commitment:

One statement that I got permission from my SEC and SM to include on the Colorado ARES web page says "Amateur radio is the hobby, Emergency Communication is a commitment!", and I got a lot of flack from a very few people for posting it.

I believe that it summarizes many of the arguments about EmCom.  Those that think of Emergency Communications as a hobby, are usually not very effective at it. Those that think of EmCom as the commitment usually do far better. OF COURSE home, family and job come first! But where is EmCom in your commitment list? If it is number four, five or possibly six, then you have made a commitment. If it is number ten or twenty, try something else to spend your time on. Each person must decide where EmCom comes in their priority list and how much time they can actually expend on EmCom. Once they have made and honest assessment, they then can decide what commitment is possible.

That's Pat's opinion.

Flexibility:

I am firmly convinced that to even attempt anything other than maximum flexibility for the EC and AECs is just plain stupid. Anyone that attempts to anticipate every set of circumstances in writing up their processes and procedures has no clue of what they are doing.

Flexibility, or as some would say, being able to adapt and improvise are what make the Amateur Radio services for emergencies (call it RACES, ARES or Phred if you want) useful to our served agencies. It IS our flexibility and our ability to adapt that make us stand out.

Does that imply that we must set rigid rules for participation? Hardly, in fact it is the ability to adjust to immediate needs that needs to be presented as we ask for commitment.

GUIDELINES people, guidelines are how we work best.

(end soap box mode ;-)

Pat
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 08:16:49 PM »

Amen, either you're in or you're out.

No supported agency wants hams who may show
up if they feel like it!

73 de Ronnie
W7STS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 02:20:25 PM »

I believe what you are saying is right on, and anyone who gives you flack wants to have and eat their cake....

You must make a commitment to not only the operational aspects of emergency service, but to the continuing educational aspects as well.  Expect that to require time, and some cases monetary commitments as you prepare to be available to your communities.  Another aspect to consider when developing your plan is how and where to get additional resources.  In any local disaster, you must plan on local resources either being part of the problem, or needing to take care of family, pets or property (as they should).  Knowing how and where to go for help may save the day.  Also, knowing the capabilities in advance of out of area resources is a good idea as well.

Flexibility is always the key to being prepared.  If you think for a moment that a disaster will follow the playbook, you are in for a rude awakening...

Good Comments
Rick Aldom - W7STS
EC Maricopa County, AZ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: