Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Analog adapter for cell phone  (Read 2545 times)
K3PFW

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2004, 02:18:38 PM »

Looking for an analog adapter for a cell phone (newer tri-mode) that will give me dial tone and ring for an external analog device (like a FAX machine).  They used to make such things, don't quite know the correct nomenclature.  Teying to establish a land line connection, via cell phone in a mobile comm facility....that doesn't have deep pocket backing.

In the same direction can you still get analog only accounts with wireless providers, like for the old "bag phones"?

Later, 73
John
K3PFW
ARES (R) DEC
Sussex County DE
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 06:56:19 AM »

John,

The wireless industry trend is away from supporting analog, and for everyone to migrate away from TMDA entirely to GSM technology.  In my case I no longer have access to analog roaming at all with my GSM phone.

I'm told it's going to become more difficult to use the older bag phones at all, as the infrastrure to support them goes away.

The best bet may be to get a GSM phone with a replaceable SEM chip which could easily be upgraded.  I'm looking into that now and will let you know what I find out...
K3PFW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 09:24:16 AM »

Found it!!  It (the adapter) is called a "CellSocket(R)".  Takes a cell phone (model specific) and gives you a POTS line out.  Check Google for cellsocket, several entries.

Later,73
John K3PFW
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 12:56:20 PM »

John, Motorola used to sell those for their old "bag phones" but AFAIK they only were made for analog phones, and only worked in analog mode. With most of the carriers today, even if your phone is multi-mode, you can't force it into analog mode--which is required for faxes. The carriers control the mode of the phone, in order to prevent you from using the analog mode where they have lower capacity and higher costs.

KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 07:39:27 AM »

According to the Cellsocket website, these devices are compatible with the latest Motorola GSM phones now being offered by the various services nationwide.

Is the reality that they really won't work as advertised? Seems like they would do exactly what the original poster wants. From looking at the website, I just wish they supported other phones besides Motorola cellphones.

Gene KI6LO
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 07:44:25 AM »

Seems the poster who said faxes/data won't work is correct.... see the link
 http://www.cellsocket.com/docs/Wont_work_with_Data.pdf.

Tell's why faxes/data won't work on these devices.

KI6LO
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 08:27:27 AM »

Gene-
 Whey you ask if the cellsockets won't work as advertised...they say " Take advantage of the comfort and convenience of making calls on a regular telephone "
 I'd say they might not be making it clear that they work with/as a "regular telephone" which of course does not send or receive faxes.
 The old Motorola adapters were described differently, as providing a "phone line" adapter to which you could connect anything that connected to a regular phone LINE. I think the Nokia C16 series car phones offered the same option, they have an extra RJ45 "data" socket on them for modem/fax use. Again, analog service only.
 Cellsocket are one of several companies that came and went with a similar product, which sounds good to me. My cell phone works by the window--and that's all. I'd settle for tying it into the real phones so I could talk over them!<G>
 But the fax business...just another example of how the cell providers lowered prices, gained market, and picked our pockets by reducing something else (analog support) at the same time. Just try finding a dedicated hard-wired car phone with 3W power on the market today. That doesn't require analog $ervice and rate$.
K3PFW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 08:44:23 AM »

I was able to get the "Cell Merge" product and a Motorola cell phone installed in the comm van for a recent event.  There was a small Panasonic PBX (3x8) in the van already.  Plugged the first CO line from the PBX into the cell adapter and we were off and running.  Worked flawlessly for both local and long distance calls, both incoming and outgoing.  A relatively simple application that works well.

Later, 73
John K3PFW
ARES (R) DEC
Sussex County DE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: