Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Henry 2K  (Read 447 times)
K6CKD

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2005, 02:42:27 PM »

I HAVE AN OLD HENRY 2K.  USES 3B28 RECIFIERS AND 3-400Z TUBES.  SN. 71.  DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO AS TO GET RID OF THE THERMAL ACTIVATED RELAYS AND MAKE THE AMP. SOLID STATE IN THE POWER SUPPLY. I  THINK THAT I COULD DO IT BUT THERE IS ALWAYS THE UNEXPECTED.  I AM WILLING TO PURCHASE THE INFO IF YOU CAN TELL ME WHERE TO FIND IT.  THANKS GUYS...
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 03:11:10 PM »

Thermal activated relays?  You mean time delay relays (Amperite)?

Holy cow, that 2K you have there could be a collector's item.  I haven't seen a 2K with 3B28s in it in at least 30 years, maybe longer.

You should be able to replace them with silicon rectifier stacks.  How high is the B+ now, with the tube rectifiers?

WB2WIK/6
K6CKD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 05:35:23 PM »

Try more like 45 years.  I'm not worried about the rectifiers,  it's the wiring to the delay relay setup that takes some thinking. I would like to talk to someone thats been there and done that.  Besides,  when ur 66,  the Henry is young.  But then,  I also called it old, shame on me.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 06:02:59 PM »

Well....while Henry has ceased making amps, they still have their import and repair business. In fact, they used to offer (maybe still do) replacement boards for the early mercury rectifiers. In the least, it is worth a try.

Geez, I'm like Steve, in that I can't remember the last time I saw one with tube rectifiers. Perhaps you should advertise it on ebay as an original and sell it for lots of bucks. Then you could buy an Alpha which if you keep it long enough, will be worth what the Henry is in collector value. Maybe!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 07:03:46 AM »

Robert -

Producton for the original Henry 2K started around 1963.
http://www.henryradio.com/

I have gone to Radiodan, W7RF in the past for Henry parts:
Radiodan 2668 Butler Ave. Los Angeles, CA. 90064 USA
http://www.radiodan.com/

I just saw this posted last week, regarding service for Henry amplifiers:
http://www.radiodan.com/Henry/misc/Amp_service.htm

73 de w9gb

K7OKS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 04:26:21 AM »

It sounds like you have the same amp that  have.  The 3B-28's work just fine and I have 2800 volts on the plate.  I have tried the plug in solid state rectifiers and had no change in high voltage.  The 3-400 tubes put out 1200watts on 75 meters.  The only problem I find is that the filiment transformer(T2) for the 3B-28's really hums when the plate switch is on (it is the round can in the front left side of the power supply). Do you have the same happening?  I don't know of any one else running this amp so I am not sure  if this is normal, it is a lot louder than the blower!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: