Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Badge  (Read 4535 times)
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 10:25:34 AM »

Now you too!! .. can chase fire trucks, ambulances, police cars, and if you order right now we will include a free lightbar for for car for only $19.95!!

That's right, even YOU.. can start pushing your weight around like Cartman saying things like - "You will respect my authoriti!"

Hurry!!! Don't Delay!

Get people to start respecting your authoriti today!!

http://www.maxsell.com/radio_badge.htm
KB3KOH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 11:45:52 AM »

I thought you guy's would think it was a bad idea too. I am a training EMT i take my state test in december and will be volinteering for the local EMS service next week sometime the last thing we need is someone flashing a badge. I am also an ARES member we are haveing owr SET drill this saturday if someone came up to my EC with one of those badges he would probly laugh in his face. Anyway i'm glad we all pretty much agree that unless it's a gag gift it's a bad idea.

Tom from Pa
KG6R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 02:01:12 AM »

Holy Cow! All of this angst about a badge.  Some people
like to collect items with their call sign on them. If so, let them.  What's the big deal?  This is still America at least east of the People's Republic of CA.

KE5BCG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 10:33:22 AM »

I am a new ham (six months) and even I know enough not to get anything as pathetic and patently stupid as that badge.
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 07:38:53 AM »

Somehow, I have a hard time making that badge fit into the professional image hams need to project when we are trying to work with other private and public relief agencies and groups. When I see that  badge, I see BillyJoeBob in his coveralls with an HT in his pocket and that big thing pinned to one of the shoulder straps. If you are providing communications for a tractor pull or a greased pig event, that badge might fit in, provided it doesn't offend the local constabulary. Otherwise, I'd save my money. I wish QST would stop running the stupid ad.
KC0LPV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 11:50:10 AM »

I think these things are pathetic and serve no purpose.

In addition, you should check your local laws--it may very well be illegal to carry a badge that even resembles an emergency badge.

Jim
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 01:48:37 PM »

QHP:

<<  Some people like to collect items with their call sign on them. If so, let them. What's the big deal? >>

It's not about collecting, it's about idiots running around with quasi-law enforcement badges to show their "authority".

Lon
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 09:06:03 PM »

you mean, "Authoriti."

WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2004, 09:06:52 PM »

What authority? I didn't know my license gave me any authority. It does give me the privilage to communicate on the frequencies given to me by the federal goverment. As for as public service we serve only by the whem of the offical agency. As for as id goes you should have your plastic name-call sign badge pin to your chest and the ID the agency you serve gave you. If none has been given you might think about hanging the wallet size copy of your license around your neck. Also a picture id of some kind in plane view is a good idea. Mabe it is time to paste a picure on the ID card you got from the ECC course or even your driver license. We are not cops, firefighters, are EMT's. Leave your red/blue lights, police type badges, police and military uniforms at home. If you really have a need to look offical the most you might think about getting is a hard hat, an orange vest, magnetic signs for your car and a cheap mag flashing amber light. Don't spend much I don't think you will ever need any of it. You would better off spending the money on extra batteries for your HT. In most cases hams serve as backups to goverment agencies and provide communications to other volunteer agencies. Don't be to surprised if instead of providing life and death communications you find yourself handing out coffee and doughnuts. Such is life.
Terry
WB4QNG
K5CUR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 04:34:39 PM »

Seems like flashing a badge like this would border on Impersonating An Officer.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 04:44:32 PM »

I don't know how it is in other
states and commonwealths, but in
NC one of the elements of the
offense is to do or attempt to
do something that only a law
enforcement officer can do.
For example, write you a citation,
arrest you (citizens here may
only detain), serve a search
warrant, etc.

The mere looking like an officer
won't cut it, heck, in Wilmington
they consider themselves Hollywood
east and then there are all the
Barney Fife impersonators.

73 de Ronnie
WB2AZE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004, 07:45:44 PM »

Badges, flashing lights .... No Way !!!

Our ARES group gets more respect by having the members wear the following.  

1.  The ARRL ARES polo shirt
2.  kacki colored dress pants (Dockers type)
3.  HT on belt.
4.  Id card.
5.  Optional ARRL ARES hat.

73 Dave WB2AZE
DEC Hunterdon County, NJ

KC2IXE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2004, 05:15:24 PM »

We went slightly different

Our OWN ARES polo shirt (slightly different from the league), our own ARES hat (black ball cap, just the letters ARES) Royal blue jacket with ARES on back - name and ARRL ARES logo on front, black pants and shoes/boots, and HT on belt

Since we started enforcing this, we've had a lot better reaction from the served agencies

I think a consistant, identifiable look, without looking like a police/fire uniform sends a great message.  Look at what the Red Cross and others like them look like when they turn out....

BTW a quick hint when choosing gear - the Navy blue shirt is nice in winter - way too dark/hot for summer.  White shows too many stains/dirt if you lean/brush against something.  A light blue/light grey works
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2004, 07:30:51 AM »

"Holy Cow! All of this angst about a badge. Some people like to collect items with their call sign on them. If so, let them. What's the big deal? This is still America at least east of the People's Republic of CA."

Collect them?  OK.  Actually wear and use them....NO WAY!  I had one of those badges given to me.  I mounted it in a frame which is hanging on the wall of my shack.  It makes a fair conversation piece.
KD5UJX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2004, 05:17:45 PM »

"Can I put my bullet in now Andy?"
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: