The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 1878 times)
N2MG
Administrator

« on: July 17, 2001, 11:50:35 AM »

By popular demand, this forum has been created to foster discussions of all aspects of Emergency Communications - whatever your "favorite" may be - ARES, RACES, SkyWarn, etc.

73 Mike N2MG
webmaster
KM5EW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2001, 12:08:07 AM »

You can count on me to place many posts here. As founder and current frequency coordinator for Bell County (TX) ARES, and current vice-president of Bell County (TX) REACT, I'm sure I'll have some thoughts. Thank for the new forum!

Warren Rowe / KM5EW
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2001, 12:51:38 PM »

Virginia ARES / RACES is seeking example Incident Command System position descriptions, training and performance standards for:

RACES State EOC radio officer
City / County Radio Officer
Admin Officer
Planning Officer
Liaison Officer
Logistics Officer
Safety Officer
Digital Operations Officer
Field team leader
Ground SAR / Wildfire Communications Support
Shelter / Hospital Communications Support
Mobile / Damage Assessment Communications
Other

Please send anything you have which may apply to:

Ed Harris, KE4SKY
State RACES Training Officer, Virginia
ed.harris@co.fairfax.va.us
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2001, 01:00:52 PM »

A FREE presentation of the Virginia ARES / RACES Basic Operator Course will be presented on July 28, 2001 in McBride Hall at the College of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, Va.

All Virginia ARES / RACES officials, local emergency managers and representatives of disaster response organizations are encouraged to attend.  ARES / RACES officials from nearby states are welcome as also!

To preregister and get directions and information on local motel accommodations please go to:

http://www.va-ares.org

73 de KE4SKY
Virginia State RACES Training Officer  
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2001, 03:19:44 PM »

I'd like to hear impressions from anyone who has taken the ARRL or REACT Emergency Communications Courses.  I was involved in the committee which developed the course and contributed some of our source material, which was incorporated into the final product, which is excellent.

Completely separate and different training modules covering much of the same material, but in a highly compressed format which can be crammed into one day are on the Virginia ARES / RACES Training page at http://www.va-ares./Training/training.html

No one course is perfect, and there is alot of excellent material out there, but is is often difficult at the local level to sort through the sheer volume of it all and find something that "works."

Please share your thoughts and let us know what you like or are using.

73 de KE4SKY
Virginia ARES / RACES Training Officer
W4GIZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2001, 01:33:48 AM »

I just found out about the ARRL Emergency Communications Course two days ago. I will be taking it as soon as I can register. It looks like it will be a great requirement for participation in ARES groups. I believe it is very important to have serious training for a serious public service.
KC0TKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 06:50:55 AM »

I've been trying to register for EC-001 for 5 months now with no luck. In April I emailed Dan Miller, K3UFG, at ARRL about my difficulty. He asked me to try one more time to register. I did, in May and June. I attermpted to register at 6:00 AM Monday, June 6 but the class was full as it has been for 5 months.
I wish to register "online" for the following reasons;
   When one registers online it is for the class beginning that month and one can plan.
   Mailing in a check for registration you have no idea of the class schedule. It may be the month of mailing, or next month or the one after that. Ya just can't plan.
   It would seem that the ARRL places a higher priority on the convenience of ARRL and not the convenience of the  patron, member ham,student or what ever.
   You might have developed the greatest training course ever but its implementation is aparently inadequate.
73's
K2GW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 10:12:10 AM »

>>I've been trying to register for EC-001 for 5 months now with no luck. In April I emailed Dan Miller, K3UFG, at ARRL about my difficulty. He asked me to try one more time to register. I did, in May and June. I attermpted to register at 6:00 AM Monday, June 6 but the class was full as it has been for 5 months.

I suspect he told you try one more time (not two more times as you did) so that he could have manually registered you for the June session, which we all knew would immediately fill up quickly after the 12 AM opening. The June session is the last one that requires completion before the term of the grant reimubursement program expires. There are a lot of procrastinators out there.

>>I wish to register "online" for the following reasons; When one registers online it is for the class beginning that month and one can plan.
Mailing in a check for registration you have no idea of the class schedule. It may be the month of mailing, or next month or the one after that. Ya just can't plan.

Actually you can select which class you want. Just tell them what month you'd want with the check. If you have difficulty, contact your EC and ask him/her to forward your request through your SEC to Dan.

I registered for all three courses online and never had a problem, but I did so three years ago.

Gary Wilson, K2GW
SNJ SEC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: