The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Wilderness Radio Service?  (Read 7652 times)
N2XIW

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »

Years ago there were a lot of Spilsbury sbx-11a and similar radios being used in Canada for those in remote areas to
"check in" for safety and social reasons.

Was this licensed, or unlicensed?

Asking because I cant find anything much online about the "Service".

Is it still active up there, or has it been replaced by newer technology?

One popular frequency was reportedly 4441mhz.

Thanks for any information on how things work up there in the boonies.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »

I can't answer that, but here is what the radio looked like.

Here is a video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98vCSNa6d4

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 12:46:44 PM »

See http://www.matthewkendall.com/electronics/sbx-11a.
N2XIW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »

Nice pic and thanks for the link.

Hopefully someone knows what the deal on licensing was for the
Wilderness Radio Service, or whatever it was called.

It had a lot of backing from the Canadian government, as Spilsbury
received grants to develop radios for use in the Inuit communities, etc.

I can't answer that, but here is what the radio looked like.

Here is a video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98vCSNa6d4
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 04:25:44 PM »

Nice pic and thanks for the link.

Hopefully someone knows what the deal on licensing was for the
Wilderness Radio Service, or whatever it was called.

It had a lot of backing from the Canadian government, as Spilsbury
received grants to develop radios for use in the Inuit communities, etc.

Maybe there was some kind of blanket authority by the Canadian Government to cover such operations.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
N2XIW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »

Spoke with one Canadian amateur that thought it was operated under a low power exemption.

... but havent found anyone yet that really knows what the service was, if it was regulated, etc.

With it taking place in the boonies, I guess it wouldnt have mattered much if it was strictly legal or not.
What official is going to put on snowshoes to go deliver a summons?

"Maybe there was some kind of blanket authority by the Canadian Government to cover such operations."
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »

I once heard some Canadian hams chatting about it and saying that it was an unlicensed service.
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

Here's a link to a brochure. 10 watts, 1.6 to 8 mHz. SSB

https://78462f86-a-7f31c921-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/matthewkendall.com/www/electronics/sbx-11a/sbx11a-brochure-8409.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cpt_hT4rEUVmUMiJzuIOj3uldC4whNvBcdkGF0t3yopiYfiU0UBFD47t9ZPmeTEeEQl_POU9MagKh5182K7mv_3VmyptaOTiovVIadP1-fk0Fea_hetsLn-fDKOdLW73Xvl1d58t1x-I1BH1lWMTu5fikrIxnEXmwThTgZhla7mDT5UTJMDclW8fmC4iTe9EvoHqY_lOlEKiCmx9kMVicq9xXUKaIlcEncav1gsVjeHo6NTc3gl4KApOjPLoF4B3JWqw_wy&attredirects=0
N5PZJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »

It was and is an unlicensed service in Canada, these radios are still in service and the modern version is sold under the QUAJIMAUTIK SYSTEMS name in Canada.

http://www.qaujimautik.com

A trappers net meet on 4441 KHZ centered around Northern British Columbia in the Fall and Winter months.  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:00:58 PM by N5PZJ » Logged
VE6FGN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:20:12 PM »

I used to guide in Labrador in the 90's, pretty sure I used one of these. Most of the camps had one, and you could call a camp, or call the telephone operator who would connect you to a land line (no cell phones back then). Great, in that it was the only option to call home. Downside was everyone could hear you chatting.

They were sold with a pre-cut wire antennae, coiled up under the lid. Toss it in a tree and away you went. Really good for emergencies out on the ice or back in the bush- only issue was cost. Had to be rich (or a .gov employee) to afford one.

N5PZJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »

I used to guide in Labrador in the 90's, pretty sure I used one of these. Most of the camps had one, and you could call a camp, or call the telephone operator who would connect you to a land line (no cell phones back then). Great, in that it was the only option to call home. Downside was everyone could hear you chatting.

They were sold with a pre-cut wire antennae, coiled up under the lid. Toss it in a tree and away you went. Really good for emergencies out on the ice or back in the bush- only issue was cost. Had to be rich (or a .gov employee) to afford one.

My uncle in Ontario used a Spilsbury Radio in the North Country to call back to Civilization as he called it.    My father was a pilot and would fly him up to his camp and they would set around the Short Wave Radio (Pop had a ham license also) and my Uncle was not willing to take a ham license.  He was Canadian and only had to learn 5 WPM to get a basic and pop thought he was crazy for not getting one being way out in the boonies!!   

The Canadian Service was supposed to be licensed, I think the Govt decided not to persue the matter and the radios flourished in the North,  Pop would fly North every summer to visit the family and we kids loved the outdoors.   I got in to Ham Radio and Girls at the same time and Girls won!!      Love playing with the Spilsbury Radio and 10 watts running off a car battery was neato!!   

Anyhow, Pop cut Uncle Len some neat dipoles and he had a signal that could reach 500 to 1000 miles around!    His secret was the cut dipoles for the radio which connected on the front with either a plug or the binding knobs.   

Would like to know the official Canadian Govt stance on those radios, they were all over the North when I was a kid and cost a 1000 bucks which seems high.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: