Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bogus Storm Spotters Sought by Feds  (Read 1787 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 08:44:38 AM »

"Except, the practice, in Charleston, SC, for checking into the SKYWARN net is to give your call, first name, location AND spotter number! Kind of defeats the idea of holding your number close."

Then I would suggest you make a suggestion that net control hold a list of spotters and their 'accreditiation' so there is no need to give numbers over the air.  The way its set up here, the number is needed and used over the phone when directly reporting to the NWS, but not to the Skywatch net over ham radio.  After all, the number is a NWS issued number, not an ARES/Skywarn issued number.
N8NOE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 06:28:42 AM »

Too many politics in this area, after 18 Years of Advanced Skywarn, I'm out!... Then the Lack of active Training lets Condition RED (I guess Mean) Sky Cloudy, Wind Blowing, Light Rain..
K1LDS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 10:20:03 PM »

Okay, now . . .

When a bogus report comes in of bad wx, doesn't ANYONE at NWS think "Gee, we've got all those millions of dollars tied up in Doppler radar and weather stations all over the country . . .I wonder why none of it shows the storm we're activating EAS about . . ?"

Keith K1LDS
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »

Because, sometimes, not often the severe weather is too compact to show on the radar screens.

One weekend in central rural Ohio, I listened to multiple, verified reports of small tornados that were given before even a tornado watch was issued.

It was a very hot humid day and severe thunderstorm watches were up. The small tornados occurred out of cells that were less than five miles in diameter and on the edges of most of the doppler radars.

Visual sightings of cloud development from other spotters helped confirm things and keep the chaos under control.

I personally witnessed a small cell that deposited a half and inch of pea to marble sized hail over about a mile of highway. The road was ugly driving at best. The storm never was seen on radar.

KF7CG
KD7NMN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 11:07:41 AM »

Here in South East Wyoming most of the spotters are on a first name basis with the Forecasters.  We also have a Ham in the weather office when the spotters are activated.  All of the spotters have been through a 3 hour course on spotting.  I was under the impression that this is how it was done everywhere.  
K2GW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 05:50:54 AM »

As a comparison, our loacal NWSFO has over a thousand spotters, half of whom are not hams and report by phone or e-mail.  All went through training at sometime.

The case that started thsi thread was from an e-mail from a astranger.

Gary, K2GW

LOCALHERO813

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »

Sometimes even if you do give thema spotter # they dont belive you. I am 15 and i called in to NWS and reported quarter sized hail and strong winds and the operator asked me if i was playing with the phone.
This stuff i take serously. if there is a tornado warning in our county(3 times this year) i get my ecomm kit and my first responce bag(i am a first responder) and take it all into the downstairs hallway and get ready for the worst. i even start calling local hams and letting them know about the situation,sometimes on the radio and sometimes on the phone.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: