Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuning up on HF ECOM freqs?  (Read 876 times)
NA4IT

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2008, 07:41:16 PM »

I am appalled at what I am hearing on the hurricane nets this evening (0230Z Sep 13). Folks just doing nothing more than tuning up right on frequency. Let me share how it is supposed to be done, and then how I do it.

1. When you tune up on net frequency, you ARE causing INTENTIONAL QRM, period.

2. Pick a frequency 5 KHz away from net frequency and tune up there. If you tune to 1.1-1 there, I guarantee you that your rig WILL NOT explode from the 1.3-1 SWR on the net freq.

Now, for how I do it...

I use a Vectronics TunerAid. It is a 50 ohm RX bridge. I tune the receiver to the net frequency. I turn on the TunerAid, turn down the RF gain on the rig so I can barely hear the signal from the TunerAid. I tune my tuner to null the noise. I turn the RF gain back up, and turn off the TunerAid. The first time I transmit, I glace at the SWR meter and it always shows LESS THAN 1.5-1.

Notice, AT NO TIME DID I TRANSMIT WHILE TUNING!

Learn how to operate correctly. Your INTENTIONAL QRM could cause important comms from being heard.

de NA4IT
W0IPL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:36:44 AM »

Just curious - Why do you think the idiots are likely to be reading in this forum?
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »

Well, I really didn't expect them to, but hopefully someone new will read and learn.

I did expect to get slammed as usual, thanks.

Also, I did search through the ECOM material, and nowhere is this mentioned.

de NA4IT
K2GW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 03:58:46 AM »

In addition to tuning up slightly off frequency, also invest in a good auto tuner such as those made by LDG so that the whole process takes less than five seconds of transmitting.

Gary, K2GW
W5DWH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:22:28 AM »

Why don't you post it in Elmers? There is a lot better chance for a beginner to read it there than here. Also it doesn't matter if they are tuning up on EMCOM or any other freq. in use. It is still wrong.....
KF4URY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 01:00:36 PM »

I think it's worse to disrupt emergency related communications than a couple of old farts griping about what is the ailment of the day  LOL
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 10:06:06 AM »

I wasn't aware of the VEC-512 TunerAid until I read your post. Sounds like a great idea and a good alternative to tuning up on the air. Any shortcomings that you've come across?
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »

No shortcomings on the TunerAid. Works perfect, every time, every band, every frequency. Best to make a chart of your tuner settings for the "rough" tuning, then use the TunerAid for "precise" tuning.

And, I used one of the MFJ Analyzers to setup my "rough" settings...still no TX while tuning!

As with any antenna, hot, cold, wet, dry all affect the SWR and hence tuner settings. The "rough" settings get close, and the TunerAid takes care of fine tuning all the subtle differences.

de NA4IT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: